Sunwing says they want 145 seasonal pilots - genuine?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

M. Essaie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Sunwing says they want 145 seasonal pilots - genuine?

Post by M. Essaie »

Is this for real or just more smoke-blowing in the direction of Giles?

If it's for real, does anyone have a contact with whom one could discuss positions for trainers and/or examiners?
---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sunwing says they want 145 seasonal pilots - genuine?

Post by timel »

My bet, it is the same old joke.

They pretend they seriously seek 145 candidates, put the ad over a few times, then they go to government and pretend there found no qualified candidates available and they need tfw.

I mean SW guys on this forum already know how many TFW will be coming for next season.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Anyone else starting to feel used by the Sunwing hiring/TFW shell game, having sent in a resume (yes qualified) and never hearing anything?

Gravity always wins
acpoolie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acpoolie »

When u say qualified, u mean 37 typed? I know of two turbo prop drivers who had interviews both on the Short list. I never got a call either.

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

With the current downsizing of Canjet I would assume Sunwing will have no problems finding good candidates. Lets sit back and see what happens.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Don't hold your breath. They will hire foreigners.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Does anyone know what bases across Canada it will be ? (as mentioned in the ad)

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

frog wrote:Does anyone know what bases across Canada it will be ? (as mentioned in the ad)
For those that will be hired into permanent positions: Sunwing operates with two permanent pilot bases; Toronto and Montreal. All Sunwing pilots are officially based in one of these two cities and basing is entirely dependent on seniority. Just prior to the start of the summer season as well as the winter season a bid is held for additional bases that will be in operation for that season. For summer 2015 these bases are Calgary and Vancouver. For winter 2014/15 these bases were Quebec City, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. This bid is awarded based first on permanent address and then on seniority. People who have a address in the base they are bidding on are given priority. So essentially if you live in Vancouver you will be awarded the Vancouver base over the #1 seniority pilot who bid Vancouver but lives in Toronto. The fact that Vancouver and Calgary appear on both the summer and winter base list also means that someone can live and work in Vancouver and Calgary year round even though they officially hold a permanent base position in Toronto or Montreal.

People who are hired into permanent positions this spring will be based in either Montreal or Toronto and will have their first opportunity to bid on seasonal bases in September for the winter 2015/16 seasonal bases.

For those hired into seasonal positions: These pilots will have an opportunity to bid for any of the permanent/seasonal bases that will be in operation for winter 2015/16. The difference is that these positions will only be awarded after all permanent Sunwing pilots have had an opportunity to bid.

As far as numbers go, last I heard we are hiring 28 pilots for permanent positions this spring and we will be hiring between 50-60 pilots mid summer for seasonal positions. There will also be around 100 European pilots who will be returning next winter which is an identical number to this winter even though the fleet will grow by 5 aircraft.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Thanks, a bunch of good info !

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

I'm sure they are snatching up a few NG rated guys from Canjet these days as well...

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

I think all the offers for permanent positions went out as of Friday. Unless anybody declines or drops out, that should be it, with less than half of the offers being type-rated pilots (i.e. Canjet) and the rest non-rated. I would imagine those that did well but did not receive offers for this round will possibly be offered a seasonal position later in the summer.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

until the Canadian pilot quota is filled (just enough to statisfy the deal they made with ESDC) , then the rest, the majority, will need to be filled with TFW, including ALL the seasonal Captains slots

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

What is the compensation for a seasonal pilot and how long is the contract for?

Geronimo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Geronimo »

TFTMB
-Hourly pay rate is 68$ ( x2 if you want to fly on a day off)
-minimum guarantee is 80..90 hours/ month( depending of the month)
-the seasonal contract usually lasts from august-September( ground course,sim..)..till end of May.

Cheers.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Is Sunwing still planning 2 GS for the 28 permanent spots? One in late April and one in May?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Geronimo wrote:TFTMB
-the seasonal contract usually lasts from august-September( ground course,sim..)..till end of May.

Cheers.
Does this include any form of insurance or vacation pay?

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

TFTMB heavy wrote:
Geronimo wrote:TFTMB

Cheers.
Does this include any form of insurance or vacation pay?

You should consider working for Sunwing through TUI... AKA Travel Service, you could even be a captain and fly under the Sunwing flag for Canadian PAX next winter.

Requirements:
You will only need 3000 hours to be a captain or 250 hours to be an Junior FO (pay: 660€/months for 737NG) and you will self sponsor your interview and type rating.
http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Travel_Service

And you need to have those legal rights in order to be able to fly Canadian PAX:
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Air-C ... el+Service
* Must hold valid EU Passport / Citizenship.
* Must have legal right to live and work in Europe.
* Must hold JAA/EASA Pilot Licence and Medical.
SW will say, yes but this goes under our wet lease agreement.
Fact is those working conditions are so crap, Europeans are using it as a stepping stone to move out ASAP and they are not eligible for a TFW agreement.

Technically SW is supporting pay to fly schemes.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Beauty post Timel!
Cadet program entry requirements: EASA Part-FCL CPL + ATPL theory ICAO Level 4+ Min 100 hrs PIC time MEP / IR + MCC Boeing 737NG Type Rating (advantageous) Accept any base + Junior FO Salary for 18 months We also require our pilots to be available 24h and 365 day a year. It requires to live at their permanent base. Our pilots also have to accept difficult lifestyle with many changes in the roster and a lot of long stays outside permanent bases including half years stays in Canada.  
So Sunwing is bringing over junior cadet F/Os who are being forced to put up with a ridiculous contract with Travel Service. How many of these poor sods are living in depressive conditions?

Just one more reason I would not fly with Sunwing.

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

timel wrote:
You should consider working for Sunwing through TUI... AKA Travel Service, you could even be a captain and fly under the Sunwing flag for Canadian PAX next winter.
One small correction on this.... Travel Service is not a part of the TUI group and as far as I'm aware they do not have any form of commercial relationship with TUI aside from the fact that both companies partner with Sunwing. But ya, their working conditions suck. They have managed to cement their relationship with Sunwing though based on the fact that they're one of the few companies out there that are willing to sign short term 737NG leases on power by the hour contracts and so here we are.... :? That being said, I will still say that due to the nature of their operation TVS has some of the most worldly pilots I have flown with and that poor working conditions should never be confused with poorly skilled pilots. I would much rather put my family on an aircraft operated by some of the TVS crews I've had the pleasure to work with than some of the 'Canadian to the core' pilots I have come across during my aviation career. :shock:

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

gonnabeapilot wrote:
timel wrote:and that poor working conditions should never be confused with poorly skilled pilots.
I'm more concerned with their mental state being slaves to TVS, in debt up to their eyeballs, and forced to deploy to Canada.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”