Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

CanJet Airlines Laying Off Pilots, Cancelling Routes

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canjet- ... -1.3031931

Bad news for CanJet:

"Canjet Airlines is laying off 47 pilots and 68 permanent and seasonal flight attendants, CBC News has learned. The cuts total more than 70 per cent of the airline's staff; CanJet currently employs about 62 pilots and 100 flight attendants.

Company president, Stephen Rowe said in an email to CBC that the job cuts are due to the fact that the airline has ceased its Europe operations because the venture "is simply not profitable."

He also warned that that there could be more bad news to come, stating: "This decision requires a further realignment of crews in early May once CanJet completes its winter vacation program."

Rowe added, "It is disappointing we have to realign our employee group today to a much smaller group."

CanJet, a subsidiary of Halifax-based IMP Group, has been plagued over the past few years by shrinking business and layoffs.

Rowe said the airline is now exploring its options and that "everything is on the table, including the evaluation of re-entering scheduled service in Canada and transborder."

CanJet's main business has been providing charter flights on behalf of Transat Holidays but last year it launched its own vacation packages."
---------- ADS -----------

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CanJet Airlines Laying Off Pilots, Cancelling Routes

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Re-align? Does that mean layoff? Someone should give him a thesaurus, and some business sense at the same time...

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

It means the boot ! Trust me !

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Well if they lost so much money in Europe where are they putting their planes this summer? And who will fly them?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Hopefully Sunwing will pick up the pilots to help cut the number of foreign pilots it needs this winter?

Wishful thinking?

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Well, if that isn't a bit confusing.... I've heard they lost money last summer deploying in Europe so they solved that by deploying in Europe again this summer!!!

Oh wait, they fired all the pilots, its a more lucrative to dry lease they say....

I guess he needs to "put more on the table" than he states...

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Meanwhile Sunwing is gearing up to once again hire over 100 TFW pilots from Europe next winter.

How ironic. I wonder how many Canjet pilots now feel that it was not such a good idea to follow Dan Adamus's advice in Oct 2013 and decide to look the other way when we were screaming that the FLVCs that Transport Canada provides to those Foreign pilots are issued illegally.

Guess how those 100+ TFW will be flying for Sunwing next winter while you guys collect EI or go works overseas ?

With ESDC issued LMIAs (the new term for LMO), with CIC issued Work Permits, and with TC issued FLVCs, all courtesy of this clever Conservative Government.

Gilles

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

How can SW hire 100 TFW if Canjet lay off 47 Canadian pilots?

This stupid law was introduced in order to fill up a gap not to be used within business model.

SundayDriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SundayDriver »

They are dry leasing all but 1 aircraft this summer.

Mr. 3Green
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. 3Green »

This makes no sense! We're going to have Canjet rated guys sitting by and watching as more TFW's come into the country via the backdoor?!

Something needs to be done.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Warning: Stay away from CJ Vacations so I have been tipped off !

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Mr. 3Green wrote:This makes no sense! We're going to have Canjet rated guys sitting by and watching as more TFW's come into the country via the backdoor?!

Something needs to be done.
The Catch 22 for these poor Canjet guys, is they have hope that they may be among the few pilots that Sunwing may hire this summer, so none of them will take the risk of protesting, filing a complaint, or raising hell, for the very justified fear of being blacklisted by Sunwing for doing so.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

I have been seeing your sh*t on here for years, kinda tiresome...CJ guys have more experience then FO jobs at a Canadian Airline. Go spin your campaign on some other thread like mismanaged aviation companies going under.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

If Canjet people want those jobs they should be given the chance before European candidates, I hope they will.

Mr. 3Green
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. 3Green »

timel wrote:If Canjet people want those jobs they should be given the chance before European candidates, I hope they will.
Agree 100%. I guess we'll see.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Spaceshuttle wrote:I have been seeing your sh*t on here for years, kinda tiresome...CJ guys have more experience then FO jobs at a Canadian Airline. Go spin your campaign on some other thread like mismanaged aviation companies going under.
Isn't this a thread about a mismanaged aviation company going under?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

How many times has someone with the last name "Rowe" downsized/shut down an airline named CanJet? I've lost track of how many times they've started up, shut down, started up, shut down.

No doubt they'll fire up v6.0 or whatever they're up to now, sometime soon. It's as predictable as the changing of the seasons.

None of which is intended as disrespect for the actual line guys/gals, whom I've had the pleasure of working with. But IMP is such a scam, a truly Made-In-Canada robber-baron-family hot mess. Employees are disposable, always have been, yet always come back since there's not much else in YHZ/YYT.

Good luck folks. At least you're familiar with how to apply for EI.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Starbuck44
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Starbuck44 »

Spaceshuttle wrote:I have been seeing your sh*t on here for years, kinda tiresome...CJ guys have more experience then FO jobs at a Canadian Airline. Go spin your campaign on some other thread like mismanaged aviation companies going under.
I just want to say Thank you to Gilles for keeping up the fight for Canadian pilot jobs. I Thank you for all you've done and please keep going.

hadiiz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hadiiz »

WOW, Gilles offers a valid solution to a ridiculous problem that's plaguing this industry and this is the response you give? Disgusting.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Sunwing puts an ad for 145 pilots to be hired in Aug Sept 2015 and then sends a memo to Canjet promising that 40 Canadians will be hired then. This means that the balance of 105 pilots will all be TFW pilots.

This is illegal. How can ESDC justify letting Sunwing hire Foreigners when there are un-employed Canadian Pilots ? Canjet and others.

Then, to make matters worse, all the seasonal Captain positions will be distributed among the 105 TFW pilots. The Canadians, even the experienced Canjet Captains, will all be hired as Seasonal First Officers and get to fly with Seasonal Foreign Captains.

Then there are people here with enough gall to criticize me for stating that this is wrong ?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”