Sunwing is looking for a new chief pilot

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sunwing is looking for a new chief pilot

Post by snoopy »

Since Air Transat is not actively hiring at the moment, and isn't a repeat offender in the hiring of TFWs I hardly think that Transat is accountable for hiring or not hiring laid off Canjet pilots!. Since Sunwing is actively hiring, and is a repeat TFW offender, they should be held accountable to hire Canadians only. If Sunwing strangely doesn't like any of the jet-qualified pilots currently on the market, there are plenty of other Canadian pilots that more than meet the meet the posted requirements.

Sunwing is first and foremost a business, and has exploited a resource made easily available to them, and anyone else smart enough to take advantage of it. Sunwing is not the bad player in this game. Our government is the one that needs to be held accountable to Canadians for selling our jobs overseas.

Cheers,
snoopy
---------- ADS -----------

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

True North wrote:
Dh8Classic wrote:Maybe you are correct.

The laid off 737 guys should be obvious hires for AT then.

Lets monitor their hiring of these 737 guys and see if they have any more chance at Air Transat than Sunwing based on flight experience as compared to the Pascan turboprop guys.

Obviously, I can't monitor the hiring situation so an insider will have to do so and report back.

I would love to be proven wrong and look forward to admitting that I am wrong and apologizing because all were given a reasonable chance with no outlandish advantages for some for various unecessary reasons.
Outlandish advantages. You mean, like, they're Canadian citizens applying at a Canadian airline? You mean that kind of outlandish advantage??
Nope? Just artificial, unnecessary requirements that eliminate 50% of the population. As happens in the federal government in many areas(or is being attempted such as for supreme court justices for example. I know... I am the one full of hatred).

But, we shall see. They will be hiring soon I believe.

Please keep us informed insiders.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Dh8Classic wrote:
True North wrote:
Dh8Classic wrote:Maybe you are correct.

The laid off 737 guys should be obvious hires for AT then.

Lets monitor their hiring of these 737 guys and see if they have any more chance at Air Transat than Sunwing based on flight experience as compared to the Pascan turboprop guys.

Obviously, I can't monitor the hiring situation so an insider will have to do so and report back.

I would love to be proven wrong and look forward to admitting that I am wrong and apologizing because all were given a reasonable chance with no outlandish advantages for some for various unecessary reasons.
Outlandish advantages. You mean, like, they're Canadian citizens applying at a Canadian airline? You mean that kind of outlandish advantage??

Nope? Just artificial, unnecessary requirements that eliminate 50% of the population. As happens in the federal government in many areas(or is being attempted such as for supreme court justices for example. I know... I am the one full of hatred).

But, we shall see. They will be hiring soon I believe.

Please keep us informed insiders.

That's a pretty weak deflection of the real issue here, but keep it up if it helps you sleep at night.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Mark Hugues, the good people at ESDC are being told by Sunwing that there are not enough qualified Canadian applicants that meet the requirements of the two pilot ads Sunwing has on its Website. They are also being told that they cannot possibly hire and train so many Canadian pilots for next winter because of training bottlenecks. They are told there are not enough simulators, not enough Check pilots etc.....

Mark Hugues, I think the good people at ESDC would be thrilled to hear your take on these isuues.

How many Canadian applicants with 3000+ hours sent their resumes ?
How many Canadian B73C type rated Canadians turned down the Sunwing seasonal jobs when they learned that Seasonal captain positions were off limits to them but would be offered to Foreign pilots instead ?

Mark, either write to me at my last name @ gmail or please contact the Director of the TFWP at ESDC:

Alexis Conrad: alexis.conrad @ hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca without the spaces.

You will do your fellow Canadian pilots a great favor by doing so.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Fri May 01, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sluggo »

Mark, if you are in the position to assist in this, it would likely be one of the most invaluable contributions to the betterment of our industry that our collective group could benefit from. Despite the flavour of some comments in this thread, I'm as good as certain that taking this effective action to stop the abuse of the TFW program will ultimately be to the benefit and protection of all current and future Canadian pilots.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”