777 captain for $175K

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 777 captain for $175K

Post by crazyaviator »

Absolutely not Altiplano :D Sometimes the truth hurts! I take it we wont be sittin down with a cold one anytime soon ? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

i highly doubt crazyaviator gets any choice in whom he gets to share beers with. Who wants to spend time with a jealous little shit-stirrer like that?

Expats - AME's and pilots - get paid according to market forces. If someone wants to get paid the wage of a certain job, maybe they should get the credentials to do that job. I don't expect the pay of a job I'm not qualified for, that's not terribly logical.

Anyway, I have to disagree with the theory that EK targets price-conscious pax. Their ticket prices are consistently higher than most competitors. What they do have, is proximity to massive populations and ideal central geography to connect ridiculous numbers of city pairs.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote:Anyway, I have to disagree with the theory that EK targets price-conscious pax. Their ticket prices are consistently higher than most competitors. What they do have, is proximity to massive populations and ideal central geography to connect ridiculous numbers of city pairs.
My company always looks for the cheapest possible tickets.

I have positioned once on KLM to Dubai - the rest of the time I position on Emirates. My tickets are always return from Dubai - maybe that's a cheaper option.

Back on topic.

I don't know anyone making the kind of salaries some people are quoting - I'm certainly not.

Basic Salary at Emirates is DHS 42015/month which is just under U$11500/month based on 85 hours/month.

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... efits.aspx

Most Expat contracts have a Basic Salary between U$10k - U$15k.

Some people will add in the housing allowance or other benefits. That's fine as long as there is a clear breakdown - instead of just a large number.

Other benefits will depend on who you work for.

As I've said before be careful about these Chinese jobs advertising a high salary - the numbers are meaningless without a breakdown of how this amount is calculated imho. Most of these contracts are not as advertised - the reality can be very different.

Too many Pilots just look at the money and nothing else. A little research can save you a lot of trouble imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

i highly doubt crazyaviator gets any choice in whom he gets to share beers with. Who wants to spend time with a jealous little shit-stirrer like that?
Am i jealous of a fat cat politician, of a CEO that makes 20-30 times more than the average skilled worker below him/her ?
Jealous of people receiving huge incomes or corrupted funds for no work at all? NO im not jealous, im pissed !!
As far as pilots are concerned, they have EARNED the right for a PROPER pay scale As far as AME s are concerned, they also have earned the right to a proper pay scale. Many AME s are under paid and Many pilots are paid MORE than an overworked Doctor who needs to know more and deals with life and death much more than pilots ( most pilots life and death experiences are their own fault) 12-15 duty days a month and many pilots cannot get it together and manage their own life. On their 2nd, 3rd divorce , making $300,000.00 and still needing $$$ after 65,,, while their company young pilots are living with mom and dad or eating kraft dinner,,,,No, im not jealous , im past being amused at the hypocrisy !! :P

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Meh. Life's too short to get pissed about stuff like that. Why not try to get one of those jobs instead of ranting about them? Or is that the new Canadian thing, to blame everyone else for your lesser wage? No wonder the NDP is doing so well in the polls. Seems pretty sad to jump into a discussion about one specific flying job ad and hijack it with whining about "asshole" pilots. I'm pretty sure every occupation has their share of said arse-heads. For example, apparently you've decided you will represent the AME's. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't put doctors on too high a pedestal though. Best friend is a GP in Ontario and he would be the first to admit his life has been much easier than mine, coasted through med school, job assured at graduation, good salary right away, great pension, job for life...none of these exist in most flying careers. He certainly didn't have to leave his home country just to make a living, as I did. Don't even try to suggest he works more than I do, that's a joke.

As far as life and death, unless you're an ER doc it's just like flying, mostly mundane with the odd situation that becomes dire. Except, that a pilot can kill hundreds with a mistake while a doc, usually just in single digits. So who has has the greater responsibility to not make an error?

Anyway, enough feeding the troll. I'm sure there's some boring story behind the chip on your shoulder, but I still like most AME's I deal with.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

I think Crazyaviator is just having some fun.
Or is that the new Canadian thing, to blame everyone else for your lesser wage? No wonder the NDP is doing so well in the polls.
It is hard to negotiate your wages when your government is Conservative.
http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... -work-bill

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I think Crazyaviator is just having some fun.
:P Ive been exposed!

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Good rebuttal complex ! :)

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ah, the ol' "I was just kidding around" defence. Got it! :lol:

Since the thread drift seems complete, if you really want to get paid well and retire early, maybe you should have been a teacher...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e26342014/

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Most WJ skippers gross in the $250000.00 range give or take $20 or $30 depending on years of service and O/T. Plus part of the gross includes the company 20% employee share purchase plan top up. So the actually money in the bank after everything is said and done is considerably less. As for the 2 1/2 weeks off, just flying their block they work about around 160 days a year. (15-16 days a month 6 months of the year, and 11 days for 6 months of the year).
So you would make a lot more cash in hand doing the contract work, but you would be bagged and away a lot more time. The fellow saying he made $340000.00 would be top pay scale, probably dropping straight time flying and picking up a ton of O/T (so he is probably bagged and away most of the time too).

Cheers

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

So looking on Canadian pilot pay, a year 7 WJ captain gets $185/hour.

1000 hours/year = $185,000
+20% ESOP = $37,000

T4 total: $222,000

Actual gross cash in hand: $222,000 - $37,000 (company ESOP) - $37,000 (employee ESOP) = $148,000

Max RRSP deduction for 2015: $24,930

Taxable income: $222,000 - $24,930 = $197,070

If you live an AB with a wife and 2 kids aged 7-16 (wife doesn't have income) and claim only the RRSP deduction you'll have an annual tax bill of $61,817.

So total NET cash in hand: $148,000 - $61,817 = $86,183 = $7,182/month

Is that about right?

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Joe Blow Schmo wrote:So looking on Canadian pilot pay, a year 7 WJ captain gets $185/hour.

+20% ESOP = $37,000

Actual gross cash in hand: $222,000 - $37,000 (company ESOP) - $37,000 (employee ESOP) = $148,000

If you live an AB with a wife and 2 kids aged 7-16 (wife doesn't have income) and claim only the RRSP deduction you'll have an annual tax bill of $61,817.

Is that about right?
Very rarely will you get an HONEST answer from a WJ pilot regarding what their TAKE HOME pay is.
I'd like some new hire FO's at WJ to post what their actual take home pay is.....

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

flyingvinnie wrote:
Joe Blow Schmo wrote:So looking on Canadian pilot pay, a year 7 WJ captain gets $185/hour.

+20% ESOP = $37,000

Is that about right?
Very rarely will you get an HONEST answer from a WJ pilot regarding what their TAKE HOME pay is.
I'd like some new hire FO's at WJ to post what their actual take home pay is.....
All righty then...1st yr F/O

Take home $3150/month including per diems. No overtime. 77.5hrs/month
Plus $1733 goes into my ESP (RRSP) each month.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

DropTanks wrote:
flyingvinnie wrote:

+20% ESOP = $37,000

Is that about right?
All righty then...1st yr F/O

Take home $3150/month including per diems. No overtime. 77.5hrs/month
Plus $1733 goes into my ESP (RRSP) each month.

Seriously!!? Or is that encore? I know a few guys at encore who always mention they work at west jet

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Just work....you are a piece of work.

Seriously? Is such a sassy response to Drop Tanks who was giving you exactly what you asked for. Thanks would have been a classier response.

The amount of take home per month based solely on salary is correct for WestJet I can't comment on Encore.

Remember WestJet remuneration is based on 5 items:
1). Salary plus O.T
2). ESP....20% of your salary can be put into an account and matched by the company. You have access to it after it vests in one year.
3). Profit share twice a year. Amount fluctuates and is not a certainty.
4). Restricted share units given once a year in spring...guaranteed amount or possible higher amount depending on stock set price and if stock price increases. You have 4 years to exercise.
5.). Employee bonus passed upon company performance

This is why WestJet pay is not straight forward and most refer to their end of year t4 to state their income.
However, take home each month based on pay checks only is correct.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

Thanks dc10 for this answer.
Are RSU taxed and added to you T4 ? Is there another way to do it than just cashing in ?
Thanks.

Jean-Luc Monette
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jean-Luc Monette »

Ex DC10 Driver wrote: Remember WestJet remuneration is based on 5 items:
1). Salary plus O.T
2). ESP....20% of your salary can be put into an account and matched by the company. You have access to it after it vests in one year.
4). Restricted share units given once a year in spring...guaranteed amount or possible higher amount depending on stock set price and if stock price increases. You have 4 years to exercise.

This is why WestJet pay is not straight forward and most refer to their end of year t4 to state their income.

However, I remember going to the bank for a loan and the only thing they were interested in was 1) minus O.T.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Jean-Luc Monette wrote:
Ex DC10 Driver wrote: Remember WestJet remuneration is based on 5 items:
1). Salary plus O.T

However, I remember going to the bank for a loan and the only thing they were interested in was 1) minus O.T.
Exactly. That is the figure I am looking for....
Have heard from a few new hires that their take home pay is around $800...???

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

ugh

Last edited by DropTanks on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Exactly. That is the figure I am looking for....
Have heard from a few new hires that their take home pay is around $800...???[/quote]

That's a bit exaggerated but I've heard of checks being in the $900 range NOT including per diems. What those guys have failed to do is the following... If their ESP is set up as a RRSP they would expect a huge tax refund next year so what they should do is request that the company withhold less income
Tax each pay. That's how you rebuild your take home every two weeks to something around $1200. Take home can vary slightly depending on the benefits the person chooses as well. Some more, some less.

So the difference is that the guy with the $900 take home has already paid tax on his company portion of ESP and he can use that money as he wishes after its vested. I however cannot touch that money because it's in a RRSP earmarked for retirement, but I have a better monthly cash flow situation. Either way it's up to the individual. Rest assured that gross pay for 1st year F/O is a minimum of around 55k. ESP participation is optional but you'd be crazy not to take an additional 20% pay...you just have to sacrifice 20% of your pay now to get it. Look at it this way, if you can live off the pay as I described in a previous post, you can say that you will save 40% of your salary for retirement. 20% from you and 20% from the company. I'll take that deal all day long.[/quote]

$900 take home for flying a 737, WOW! :roll:

Even $1200, wowzers.

I have heard some guys say that when they went there, they had to cash in some of their RRSP's that they previously held, just to feed their family and pay bills. INSANE!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”