"WOW" Icelandic LCC

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

"WOW" Icelandic LCC

Post by FICU »

A new player in trans Atlantic service starting in May out of YYZ and YUL to Europe via BIRK.

Have to wonder about the low cost crew and experience levels...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e26609856/
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: "WOW" Icelandic LCC

Post by atphat »

FICU wrote:
Odd thing to say really. Do you wonder the same if you were to fly Southwest, Rouge, Frontier, JetBlue, Virgin, Westjet?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Not really. My trust level goes down with every new start up ULCC or LCC offering ridiculously low fares because the price savings are on the backs of the employees and we all know pilots will fly for peanuts. I would not put my family on any ULCC in Europe or Asia and unfortunately that model is working it's way over here.

Last edited by FICU on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RG500 »

FICU, you're really starting to sound like a broken record.
Please inform us of their Training and Standards or is this just your intuition again?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

RG500 wrote:FICU, you're really starting to sound like a broken record.
Please inform us of their Training and Standards or is this just your intuition again?
FICU wrote:Have to wonder about the low cost crew and experience levels...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

"Passengers will be allowed one “free” carry-on bag, but it must weigh no more than 5 kilograms. There are extra fees for additional carry-ons, checked bags, in-flight meals and other items."

Add it all up and that will tell the tale...... and that is just to Iceland. Probably nothing ground breaking here for those who are heading to Europe.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I went to Iceland once.

It was mostly green...

Bastards.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

whereas Greenland, on the other hand...

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Will they be serving that Icelandic gourmet delight of a boiled sheep head in flight ?

Or that festering buried fish dish Viking recipe ?

Sunwing738
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sunwing738 »

Old fella wrote:"Passengers will be allowed one “free” carry-on bag, but it must weigh no more than 5 kilograms. There are extra fees for additional carry-ons, checked bags, in-flight meals and other items."

Add it all up and that will tell the tale...... and that is just to Iceland. Probably nothing ground breaking here for those who are heading to Europe.
I booked YYZ-KEF-YYZ for June 2016 for $242 CAD taxes in. Bags on the other hand... Carry-on (up to 15lbs) $47 each way, Checked luggage, $56 each way. If connecting to Europe carry-on is $56 and checked bag is $82. Still $354 return to Iceland with checked bag is a great deal, beats Icelandair's absolutely ridiculous pricing! I've seen Icelandair fares in June around $1600 return, always good for the consumer to have some competition.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Sunwing738 wrote:
Old fella wrote:"Passengers will be allowed one “free” carry-on bag, but it must weigh no more than 5 kilograms. There are extra fees for additional carry-ons, checked bags, in-flight meals and other items."

I booked YYZ-KEF-YYZ for June 2016 for $242 CAD taxes in. Bags on the other hand... Carry-on (up to 15lbs) $47 each way, Checked luggage, $56 each way. If connecting to Europe carry-on is $56 and checked bag is $82. Still $354 return to Iceland with checked bag is a great deal, beats Icelandair's absolutely ridiculous pricing! I've seen Icelandair fares in June around $1600 return, always good for the consumer to have some competition.
Competition, you bet and nothing wrong with it. Reminds me a few yrs back we gave our young fella a trip to Europe when he graduated College, him and his bud were quite excited. I still remember his call about 3 weeks before departure from YHZ that his carrier Zoom Airlines ceased operations - the airline with the ridiculous low European return fares. Anyway he finally got squared away on AT, however portions of their plans(England) couldn't go ahead. I did get the Zoom fare taken off my RBC VISA due "services not rendered" but faxing and phone calls were required.
Just saying!!!!

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

FICU wrote:A new player in trans Atlantic service starting in May out of YYZ and YUL to Europe via BIRK.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e26609856/
I did a bit of googling and the reviews are actually really top notch for WOW. I was suprised Staff is great, food is good (although you pay) and all in all a good experience on board. Seats aren't packed too tight.. still options for extra leg room.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

So the deal is apparently $99 or so to Iceland and then $149 to Europe from there. One of the benefits they claim is that you have many more options for a European destination from Iceland than if you were to fly another LCC from North America.

See my above post. Go search reviews on this airline they've been around for a bit and have good reveiws. Sure extras cost money, but that aside people claim to have enjoyed the experience. And look at it this way you could also give yourself a 2-3 day layover and experience Iceland. Which would be awesome.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... o-iceland/

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/wow-air-review/

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

I know everyone is excited about cheapo fares. They will be using an Airbus 321 the plane that Jacque forgot to add a few feet to the wings! I would be shocked if they can fit 180 peeps plus fuel and bags going to Iceland from Toronto and not be load limited. For the people who will say well it's a new 321 with winglets so it will be able! I will say above 25c check your charts and good luck!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

peeelot wrote:I know everyone is excited about cheapo fares. They will be using an Airbus 321 the plane that Jacque forgot to add a few feet to the wings! I would be shocked if they can fit 180 peeps plus fuel and bags going to Iceland from Toronto and not be load limited. For the people who will say well it's a new 321 with winglets so it will be able! I will say above 25c check your charts and good luck!
The distance is 2260nm or 5 hours flying time (zero wind).

Not an issue for an A321. 11000' and 10000' runways at each end. No issues with temperature either.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

ok zero wind numbers are good. I have checked my books I could be wrong which hey I am lots. But I think we will find these flights will be load restricted or need enroute stops. Because when you get a strong head wind going west or bad WX and you need a long alternate then it dosent have the same operational capability as the 757. We shall just sit back and see. Just my 2 cents!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

peeelot wrote:ok zero wind numbers are good. I have checked my books I could be wrong which hey I am lots. But I think we will find these flights will be load restricted or need enroute stops. Because when you get a strong head wind going west or bad WX and you need a long alternate then it dosent have the same operational capability as the 757. We shall just sit back and see. Just my 2 cents!
Max Payload is around 23000kg. Actual payload will be lower.

Fuel available at MZFW 22000kg. More fuel available with a lower payload.

Still not seeing any issues with this flight.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Still not seeing any issues with this flight.
That is maybe because you actually know what you are talking about. A rare thing on the internet.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”