Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
dunkafa
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:51 am

Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#1 Post by dunkafa » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:50 am

And would mind to share some infos about it.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
  

tbaylx
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#2 Post by tbaylx » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Starting pay is about $11,000 a month + $5000 housing allowance + $2000 flying bonus (tax free)

He said guys are flying 95-105 hour months right now because they're short staffed. They're looking for 550 pilot over the next year.

I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Almost all their focus is on F.O's right now however they are hiring direct entry captain for the A330 right now, however the posting is to be deleted in the next week or two.

They used to have an accelerated upgrade program for guys like yourself, however they haven't used that since 2002.

Income is technically tax free however if you have any ties to Canada (i.e wife that stays here, drivers license, home etc. - you can expect to be slapped with a canadian tax payment upon your return).

5 year bond of $41,000USD. 4 year upgrade times for 777. Also was shown a typical schedule for a 777 guy. YIKES. Scary amount of long haul and 4-6 day pairings.Longest is a 9 day pairing. 22 day work months with a rotating seniority of 5 groups (for what ever metal you're on). Once ever 5 months you get top bid within the seniority of your group. 30 reserve days a year, with 30 minute call out time.. otherwise all straight flying. Example of pairing given was Dubai - Bankok - Sydney - Christchurch - Bankok - San Fran - Dubai (Dont remember how many days this was). 30 must take leave days a year, with optional 15 more - those 15 haven't been happening for the guys there lately.

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE
---------- ADS -----------
  

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 pm

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#3 Post by CAL » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 am

11K for an FO? are you sure?

tbaylx wrote:Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Starting pay is about $11,000 a month + $5000 housing allowance + $2000 flying bonus (tax free)

He said guys are flying 95-105 hour months right now because they're short staffed. They're looking for 550 pilot over the next year.

I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Almost all their focus is on F.O's right now however they are hiring direct entry captain for the A330 right now, however the posting is to be deleted in the next week or two.

They used to have an accelerated upgrade program for guys like yourself, however they haven't used that since 2002.

Income is technically tax free however if you have any ties to Canada (i.e wife that stays here, drivers license, home etc. - you can expect to be slapped with a canadian tax payment upon your return).

5 year bond of $41,000USD. 4 year upgrade times for 777. Also was shown a typical schedule for a 777 guy. YIKES. Scary amount of long haul and 4-6 day pairings.Longest is a 9 day pairing. 22 day work months with a rotating seniority of 5 groups (for what ever metal you're on). Once ever 5 months you get top bid within the seniority of your group. 30 reserve days a year, with 30 minute call out time.. otherwise all straight flying. Example of pairing given was Dubai - Bankok - Sydney - Christchurch - Bankok - San Fran - Dubai (Dont remember how many days this was). 30 must take leave days a year, with optional 15 more - those 15 haven't been happening for the guys there lately.

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE
---------- ADS -----------
  

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#4 Post by Joe Blow Schmo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:52 pm

He's quoting the captain pay. Year 1 is about USD11,500 including 85 hours of flying allowance. Year 1 FO is about $8000 including the same. Also the FO housing allowance, if you opt for the cash, is less: About $3500/month I think. The pay is published on the Emirates website.

http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... efits.aspx



CAL wrote:11K for an FO? are you sure?

tbaylx wrote:Yes the representative said there is no age cap for pilots. But they do expect someone who's 40+ to have the relevant experience for that age. eg 7000+ hrs, jet time, PIC galore etc.

Starting pay is about $11,000 a month + $5000 housing allowance + $2000 flying bonus (tax free)

He said guys are flying 95-105 hour months right now because they're short staffed. They're looking for 550 pilot over the next year.

I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Almost all their focus is on F.O's right now however they are hiring direct entry captain for the A330 right now, however the posting is to be deleted in the next week or two.

They used to have an accelerated upgrade program for guys like yourself, however they haven't used that since 2002.

Income is technically tax free however if you have any ties to Canada (i.e wife that stays here, drivers license, home etc. - you can expect to be slapped with a canadian tax payment upon your return).

5 year bond of $41,000USD. 4 year upgrade times for 777. Also was shown a typical schedule for a 777 guy. YIKES. Scary amount of long haul and 4-6 day pairings.Longest is a 9 day pairing. 22 day work months with a rotating seniority of 5 groups (for what ever metal you're on). Once ever 5 months you get top bid within the seniority of your group. 30 reserve days a year, with 30 minute call out time.. otherwise all straight flying. Example of pairing given was Dubai - Bankok - Sydney - Christchurch - Bankok - San Fran - Dubai (Dont remember how many days this was). 30 must take leave days a year, with optional 15 more - those 15 haven't been happening for the guys there lately.

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE
---------- ADS -----------
  

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#5 Post by jd832 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:22 pm

tbaylx wrote:

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE
When you say "Lots of 737NG left seaters....", what companies are we talking about. Sunwing? Canjet?
---------- ADS -----------
  

tbaylx
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#6 Post by tbaylx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 am

jd832 wrote:
tbaylx wrote:

Some other details that I'll omit unless someone has something specific to ask. I have 3000hrs, On a Dornier 328, felt very out experienced and out of my league with the calibre of guys at the meeting. Lots of 737NG left seaters, couple of WJ Mainline cptns, and a few like myself.

Hope this helps everyone. All right from the Emirates meet up today.

Copied from PPRUNE
When you say "Lots of 737NG left seaters....", what companies are we talking about. Sunwing? Canjet?
Since its YYC I would guess you'd be looking at mostly WestJet, Enerjet and Canadian North/Flair if you include classics. Lots of people looking with the downturn in the Alberta economy, hence the YYC roadshow by EK. Wherever you find bankrupt/downsizing airlines you'll shortly find an EK roadshow.
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#7 Post by av8ts » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
---------- ADS -----------
  

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#8 Post by AirMail » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm

av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
God bless you for your decision :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
  

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#9 Post by bruced007 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 am

AirMail wrote:
av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
God bless you for your decision :mrgreen:
Yes anybody considering a career with EK May God bless you ! :prayer:
As for the other two I think you will be fine
---------- ADS -----------
  

Mach1
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:04 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#10 Post by Mach1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:03 pm

av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
What are their feelings with regards to Pastafarians?
---------- ADS -----------
  
I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#11 Post by av8ts » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Mach1 wrote:
av8ts wrote:Seeing as the UAE is one of 13 countries that has the death penalty for atheists I don't think I'll be applying
What are their feelings with regards to Pastafarians?
Makes as much sense as the other religions
---------- ADS -----------
  

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: south saturn delta

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#12 Post by Dockjock » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:17 pm

tbaylx wrote:
I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Copied from PPRUNE
There are fewer than 200 countries in this planet, maybe they had some applicants from others?
---------- ADS -----------
  

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Anyone went to EK roadshow ?

#13 Post by AirMail » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Dockjock wrote:
tbaylx wrote:
I read last year 40,000 applicants from 227 countries applied. 2000 positions were filled. (this includes all flight crew positions).

Copied from PPRUNE
There are fewer than 200 countries in this planet, maybe they had some applicants from others?
I made my own country once... perhaps others have as well.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”