Syrian Refugee Thread Deleted??

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Syrian Refugee Thread Deleted??

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

The original thread, for which I was the OP, was about the possible airlift to Canada of 25,000 Syrian refugees, which is why it was posted under the Airline thread. A Mod deleted it, for reasons I fail to understand (but left this one).

It now seems that the contract was secured not by a canadian airline, as I had imagined, but by Royal Jordanian Airlines.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/polit ... emaine.php
Ottawa a par ailleurs conclu une entente avec Royal Jordanian Airlines en vue de la location d'appareils pour transporter les réfugiés syriens, a indiqué M. McCallum.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
complexintentions wrote:The refugee situation is not amusing. But the thought that JT and friends never even considered that maybe not everyone even WANTS to come to Canada, is...
Go ahead, CI, say it: "funny" is the word you're looking for. In fairness, they were likely busy with their rethinking of elements as basic as space and time, and going all science fictiony on us, in this sense. :shock:
I was trying not to belittle the refugee crisis, which in spite of how folks like Gilles might think I see it, IS horrifying. I live and work everyday with people directly affected by it.

But the mental image of a bunch of idiots in Ottawa, convinced that everyone is just itching to move to Canada, cynically using it as a major election plank, and then finding out about 6% are actually interested, and trying to process that....IS FUNNY.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3362633

First two plane loads were RCAF CC-150s who left Lebanon and made a fuel stop in Germany. Curious to know how the others will come.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3362633

First two plane loads were RCAF CC-150s who left Lebanon and made a fuel stop in Germany. Curious to know how the others will come.
Royal Jordanian Airlines apparently will be doing the rest. Guess no Canadian carriers were interested. The RFP (will try to find it somewhere) was pretty specific about direct flights from Lebanon to Canada, with no stops...which really limits the bids I guess.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -1.3366345
Some 214 Syrian refugees arrived in Toronto Tuesday afternoon, the latest such mass transfer by the federal government.

The flight, chartered from Royal Jordanian Airlines, is the third to airlift refugees to Canada.

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

It sounds like a couple of Air Transat flights are scheduled next week out of Amman...

T.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

WTF! You mean Enerjet, with their vast Middle East experience and long-haul fleet, didn't get any of the work they were 'ready for'?!??

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

http://news-releases.transat.com/2015-1 ... -to-Canada

Flight TS8500 has now left Amman for Toronto
Air Transat is the first Canadian airline to carry Syrian refugees to Canada

MONTREAL, Dec. 20, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - 12:00 noon – Air Transat Flight TS8500 has now left Amman, Jordan, bound for Toronto with 207 Syrian refugees aboard. "We are very pleased to be the first Canadian airline company to engage in this major humanitarian effort, and to be assisting the Canadian government and international authorities in this way," said Jean-François Lemay, General Manager of Air Transat.

The operation is being led by the International Organization for Migration, in collaboration with Canadian authorities. The flight, operated with an Airbus A330, is expected to arrive Toronto early evening today.

T.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Sweeeeeet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e27918337/

Good for the refugees. Now, maybe the government could spare a thought for the heavily-indebted Canadians already in the country?

Ah wait. That's not as good of a sound bite or photo op.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Strobes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Strobes »

timel wrote:
Strobes wrote: Good luck getting off oil. Oil has entered a downturn because of supply glut and will stay low for a long time. So the world will burn it.

Because of that, living conditions in the ME will go lower, and extremism will actually rise - "angry poor people looking for someone to blame". Kinda like Oct 19.

I find it hard to believe the OPEC will crash itself to the ground, theoretically if the oil barrel stays at 50$, it is the end of Saudi Arabia in less than 5 years.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/25/investi ... ddle-east/

After all this years, I don't understand why those countries still have an oil dependent economy and yes the actual prices are hurting Iran and Russia as well.
Watch OPEC crash and burn to the ground all while pumping record amounts because they struggle to remain relevant. The Saudi Royal Family is becoming more and more irrelevant every day, and the world is waking up to their atrocities they have been able to commit because they were the major supplier of oil to the world.

The massive omnibus bill that passed in the US congress this past week allows exports of US crude. Will only be 0.5MMbbl/day at first, but it's a start.

Maybe soon we will be able to ditch the Arabs as allies in the area and treat them as they should: Corrupt entities that fund most of terrorism in the ME and NA.

Strobes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Strobes »

Boreas wrote:
crazyaviator wrote:One final note on Comparisons:

A TRUE muslim will wage wars, will practice slavery, will rape, will treat women as chattel, will look down on all other peoples, will kill other muslims for apostacy, will lie and cheat to non-believers, and will subjucate christians and "jews" with a tax and as a conquered people. The reason WHY they are to do this is that it is in their holy books!!!!! ALL others are apostate muslims!

A TRUE christian will be righteous ( not lie, steal, abuse, commit adultery, hate, follow organized cults, etc etc) A true christian is willing to die for the truth, be a martyr, live an honest life even if it results in poverty and suffering. THIS is in the NEW testament of the bible, A christians holy book ALL others are APOSTATE christians !

Truth HURTS ! Starting to see a picture here? :D
Yeah but it's 2015, and all of those mentioned above are religious idiots. Maybe Muslims and Christians can come together over that.
It's still not 2015 in certain parts of the Middle-East. And religiosity does not equal idiocy. There are some very smart people on both sides of the spectrum of both religions.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

I am surprised that more asylum seekers/migrants /refugees have not chosen Canada over Germany to choose as their preferred choice of next long term home.
In Germany it can take many years to get permanent residence ,it can take a minimum twelve years to get citizenship .The process is long and requires three German references, an ability to communicate in German, a history of contribution to the German community . Many Turks who have been living in Germany for decades cannot become citizens because they entered under a temporary visa programme.
In Canada you can get permanent residence sooner and citizenship in three years without any contributions to the country or any ability to speak in any of the official languages and no Canadian/Canadien references. You can even spit on the oath of allegiance immediately after speaking it and keep your new passport .
Canada is huge and could easily take millions of refugees ,especially if those refugees had skills that could help build the required new infrastructures required to house the millions of displaced persons that the global conflicts are producing. The forty million slaves who work for nothing in some parts of the world would not complain about working conditions or complain about anything .The three hundred millions who have been forbidden from teaching their child the language of their ancestors would fit right in on the wet coast.
Loads of room here for millions ,no such thing as a homeless poor person in Canada .It is the land of beer and money .
Let them all in to this huge country, and together we can build a new and vibrant world class country that will have lots of friends and everyone will like us :)

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I word FROSTBITE ! :lol:

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

2R wrote: ...no such thing as a homeless poor person in Canada .It is the land of beer and money...
I hope you are being sarcastic. Take a drive through the Blood Tribe one day..

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic ... ull-length

I believe it is important to be open minded to facts and truth about this conflicts in the ME, unfortunately this documentary on Daesh is probably an accurate image of this fanatics.

Anyway, for for thoughts.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”