Air Canada doubling A320 fleet in YVR

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Canada doubling A320 fleet in YVR

#1 Post by tipsails » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 am

I was told by an AC pilot friend that AC is in the process of doubling the A320 fleet in YVR. In addition they are removing all the Rouge 319's and EMB190s. Not sure where they're off too but I'm sure the agreement with Boeing to buy 20 of AC's EMB190s has something to do with it.

So my question, what will be taking the place of the EMB's? AC will now have the 320 as their smallest aircraft aside from the Express -300. That leaves a fairly large gap, does it not? Could we possibly see some Q400's or CRJ's from Jazz making their way to the YVR base in the future?
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada doubling A320 fleet in YVR

#2 Post by rudder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:04 pm

tipsails wrote:I was told by an AC pilot friend that AC is in the process of doubling the A320 fleet in YVR. In addition they are removing all the Rouge 319's and EMB190s. Not sure where they're off too but I'm sure the agreement with Boeing to buy 20 of AC's EMB190s has something to do with it.

So my question, what will be taking the place of the EMB's? AC will now have the 320 as their smallest aircraft aside from the Express -300. That leaves a fairly large gap, does it not? Could we possibly see some Q400's or CRJ's from Jazz making their way to the YVR base in the future?
Just because a crew base for specific equipment reduces or closes, does not mean that the aircraft in question disappear. These same aircraft can simply be staffed from another base. The YVR pilot position bid was 'neutral' on total staffing (basically the A320 staffing increases equalled the Rouge319/EMB reductions).

20 EMB190 are being removed from the AC fleet. Around 13 in the next 12 months. Many A321's have already been added back in. The AC fleet projections for the next 3 years are all contained in the MD&A which is available on the aircanada.com website.

At the end of the day, some EMB190 replacements will be 75 seat jets at AC Express (EMB175/CRJ705) and some will be A319/320 lift or B737MAX lift. AC has already announced some new AC Express transborder flying out of YVR/YYC in 2016.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by tipsails » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeah that's what I figured as well as my friend is moving back to the A320 now from Rouge with this change over.. I was mainly talking aircraft types though not staffing.

I saw the press release stating the trans border Express flying from YVR with the CRJ. Question is, would that flight just just become part of a pairing for an aircraft based elsewhere or possibly foreshadowing to a YVR based RJ in the future? I was told over and over again by Jazz pilots I know to never expect to see CRJ's or Q's in YVR but this press release might imply otherwise.

What do you think?

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#4 Post by rudder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:53 pm

tipsails wrote:Yeah that's what I figured as well as my friend is moving back to the A320 now from Rouge with this change over.. I was mainly talking aircraft types though not staffing.

I saw the press release stating the trans border Express flying from YVR with the CRJ. Question is, would that flight just just become part of a pairing for an aircraft based elsewhere or possibly foreshadowing to a YVR based RJ in the future? I was told over and over again by Jazz pilots I know to never expect to see CRJ's or Q's in YVR but this press release might imply otherwise.

What do you think?
My crystal ball is no better than anybody else's but it is clear that there will be continuing AC Express CRJ/Q400 flying in and out of YVR. Whether there will be an Express crew base for those equipment types is a whole different question.

My bet is no but that guess and a buck will get you a cup of coffee :)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#5 Post by loopa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 am

I thought Sky Regional was starting to push out west because Jazz isn't able to compete with Encore. The grapevine that I heard this in seemed to suggest Jazz retracting back east where Encore doesn't have a strong presence, and let Sky Regional do the associated CRJ flying out of YYC/YVR; as a result being able to better compete with Encore. This rumour was a new one mind you.

RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

#6 Post by RG500 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 am

loopa wrote:I thought Sky Regional was starting to push out west because Jazz isn't able to compete with Encore. The grapevine that I heard this in seemed to suggest Jazz retracting back east where Encore doesn't have a strong presence, and let Sky Regional do the associated CRJ flying out of YYC/YVR; as a result being able to better compete with Encore. This rumour was a new one mind you.
Sky Regional will end up with 20 EMB175's from its base in YYZ.
The EMB is unable to deal with the mountains/high MEA's out west due to its single engine ceiling.
Since its inception it has really only operated on routes, formerly operated by mainline though their route structure has evolved, due to the operational considerations from Air Canada. They have not displaced Jazz and again, these are Air Canada's routes to do with as they please.
Sounds like someone with too much time on their hands, in the cockpit.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

#7 Post by PositiveRate27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:40 am

Air Canada announced it will service San Diego with a 319 from Rouge and San Jose with a CRJ 705 from Jazz.

Haven't heard any tangible evidence that Sky will push out west, except from a handful of Encore pilots. The massive expansion in numbers to the Jazz YYC base seems to indicate the opposite of Jazz retraction in the west.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#8 Post by loopa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:16 am

RG500 wrote:
loopa wrote:I thought Sky Regional was starting to push out west because Jazz isn't able to compete with Encore. The grapevine that I heard this in seemed to suggest Jazz retracting back east where Encore doesn't have a strong presence, and let Sky Regional do the associated CRJ flying out of YYC/YVR; as a result being able to better compete with Encore. This rumour was a new one mind you.
Sky Regional will end up with 20 EMB175's from its base in YYZ.
The EMB is unable to deal with the mountains/high MEA's out west due to its single engine ceiling.
Since its inception it has really only operated on routes, formerly operated by mainline though their route structure has evolved, due to the operational considerations from Air Canada. They have not displaced Jazz and again, these are Air Canada's routes to do with as they please.
Sounds like someone with too much time on their hands, in the cockpit.
How does SkyWest deal with the Single Engine/MEA ordeal on their Denver runs?

jpilot77
Rank 6
Rank 6

#9 Post by jpilot77 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:27 am

I assume that they run there CRJ700 west out of Denver and there Embraers back east.
Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”