What kind of shoes do you wear?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

V1 Rotate
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What kind of shoes do you wear?

Post by V1 Rotate »

As soon I see RM Williams boots on my flight deck proximity work-mate (key word being "mate")
I know it's going to be a long flight.... Mate.
---------- ADS -----------

"I have control!"
ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

V1 Rotate wrote:As soon I see RM Williams boots on my flight deck proximity work-mate (key word being "mate")
Why?

Everything comes in threes....
V1 Rotate
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by V1 Rotate »

Aussies are God's gift to aviation...
At least in their heads.

"I have control!"
ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

Ahhhh yes. I thought it was about the boot itself.

Everything comes in threes....
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

V1 Rotate wrote:As soon I see RM Williams boots on my flight deck proximity work-mate (key word being "mate")
HA! Yeah, you're spot on with that, MATE! ("More for your benefit than mine...")

But don't hold it against the boots...

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Hey, nothing wrong with a good first hand boot review.

If you're a white glove airline queen probably doesn't matter much, but for the folks who are working in the cold, snow, puddles, mud, etc, picking the right foot ware, especially at $300 a pop, is a big deal and the difference between sailing through your day and having life suck.
I've been wearing some waterproof 200g thinsulate Merrells for the winter. So far my feet are always dry, warm and they are very comfy. With the snow pants I can walk around in 2 foot deep snow and slush without a problem. Best of all, they only cost $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Hima ... B00D7CH2AO

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

awitzke wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:Hey, nothing wrong with a good first hand boot review.

If you're a white glove airline queen probably doesn't matter much, but for the folks who are working in the cold, snow, puddles, mud, etc, picking the right foot ware, especially at $300 a pop, is a big deal and the difference between sailing through your day and having life suck.
I've been wearing some waterproof 200g thinsulate Merrells for the winter. So far my feet are always dry, warm and they are very comfy. With the snow pants I can walk around in 2 foot deep snow and slush without a problem. Best of all, they only cost $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Hima ... B00D7CH2AO

I also own Merrells however they don't go so well with the dress pants an tunic

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Fortunately they go great with snow pants :)

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

My company supplies me shoes, but if I had to buy a pair, it would be Clarks. In fact, I keep the pair issued to me by a previous company (which issued the best-quality material uniforms) for my Sunday best outfit.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Very comfortable option and stylish.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

This thread, man. Kills me. Blundstones with a suit, you guys are...well, I don't blame you because everybody does it and seems to think its OK. They're the Doc Martens of today. C'mon. Blundstones look good if you're the lead singer in a band or maybe a landscape foreman. Boots? If you're from Texas or Australia go for it but boots with a suit no matter what is bush league. What is this intense desire to display your "northern" resume after you've moved on to a white collar job?

If your uniform is basically a suit, wear loafers. I like leather soles because they go click clack on the marble in the terminal, announcing that you are a professional adult not a walmart greeter, and you can resole them for $60 every few years. My first pair of somewhat nice shoes which were about $300 have now lasted 5 years and been resoled once. Take a little pride in your appearance for crissakes. And polish them like your grandfather did back when people used to buy quality things and take care of them.

We all started with the $70 ALDOs out of necessity but jeez, to give that as advice? More like an emergency stopgap until you can afford something appropriate. If you're already in the $300 and up zone at least buy some dress shoes. Glad to hear there are at least some who agree!

Now, about your watch...:D

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Dockjock wrote:This thread, man. Kills me. Blundstones with a suit, you guys are...well, I don't blame you because everybody does it and seems to think its OK. They're the Doc Martens of today. C'mon. Blundstones look good if you're the lead singer in a band or maybe a landscape foreman. Boots? If you're from Texas or Australia go for it but boots with a suit no matter what is bush league. What is this intense desire to display your "northern" resume after you've moved on to a white collar job?

If your uniform is basically a suit, wear loafers. I like leather soles because they go click clack on the marble in the terminal, announcing that you are a professional adult not a walmart greeter, and you can resole them for $60 every few years. My first pair of somewhat nice shoes which were about $300 have now lasted 5 years and been resoled once. Take a little pride in your appearance for crissakes. And polish them like your grandfather did back when people used to buy quality things and take care of them.

We all started with the $70 ALDOs out of necessity but jeez, to give that as advice? More like an emergency stopgap until you can afford something appropriate. If you're already in the $300 and up zone at least buy some dress shoes. Glad to hear there are at least some who agree!

Good luck in those nice leather shoe on your YYC or YUL layover when you have to go out in the slush and snow

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

av8ts wrote:
Dockjock wrote:This thread, man. Kills me. Blundstones with a suit, you guys are...well, I don't blame you because everybody does it and seems to think its OK. They're the Doc Martens of today. C'mon. Blundstones look good if you're the lead singer in a band or maybe a landscape foreman. Boots? If you're from Texas or Australia go for it but boots with a suit no matter what is bush league. What is this intense desire to display your "northern" resume after you've moved on to a white collar job?

Good luck in those nice leather shoe on your YYC or YUL layover when you have to go out in the slush and snow

Exactly!

Dress for conditions FIRST, style second.

I used to work in the desert, most folks would wear slacks, dress shoes and a button up shirt, tucked in but with no tie.

Every once in a while you'd get someone from a cooler area, which was basically anywhere else, they'd "dress to impress" with a blazer and a nice tie complete with a fancy knot.

The fine dressing folks may have left the house looking like James Bond, but after driving around, and being outside for half a second they end up looking like a wrinkled and sweaty hot mess, or they end up carrying half their clothes over their shoulder like a homeless person, OR... my favorite, they realize they messed up and peel their blazer and tie off in the car but still have the sweat marks of shame, however since they now don't have the obvious blazer and tie on anymore, it just looks like they need to see a Dr. for their obviously profuse sweating problems.

So yeah, conditions first, style second, or just look at what the guys who have been working there for a few years wear :wink:

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

I agree that you should dress for conditions. If you are an airline pilot, your conditions are inside terminals, bridge to the airplane, and hotels. Tell me with a straight face that it is an outside job. It ain't. Bringing something else to trudge around in snow in downtown Calgary on your layover is different; you take off your uniform I hope? :roll:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I don't consider the uniform "basically a suit". The double-breasted cheesy thing that is issued to most traditional carriers is the antithesis of the Italian tailored magnificence I wear for a night out. :twisted:

Polished leather ankle boots have been de rigueur for airline pilots for many decades. Nothing wrong with a nod to tradition. But chisel-toed sheepherder boots aren't those, either. As far as authoritative sound on marble, my boots will kick your loafer's ass! :lol:

I do agree with you, that even the best boots I won't wear with a suit. I just don't consider the costume, excuse me, uniform, a suit. Maybe it's the polyester.

And yeah - polish the damn things! But if you have to tell someone that, they probably can't be helped anyway.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

I've tried so many. Admittedly I cheaped out with $40 walmart George brand which were surprisingly comfy and lasted me 18 months or so but then they tore apart. They also set off the alarms at security. I tried out Bostonian flexlites from Shoe Warehouse and they are pricier ($90) but very light, classy, comfy and don't have the metal shank in them so I don't have to remove them going through security all the time :x

fallex
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fallex »

Biggest question should be, are you doing winter walk-arounds, or are you not?

That should determine if your wearing a dressy leather shoe with little need for grip, or if you should opt for a boot style with some traction. Personally, I've attempted the dressy leather shoe for a winter walk around on the ramp in Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal... needless to say, its a deathtrap waiting to happen. I personally opt for boot style in the winter, and switch to dress shoes in the summer.

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

I wear Blundstones in the winter and Rockport shoes in the summer. I've had decent Bostonians from Moores as well. They are current with style, good quality and well under $200.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”