Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Message
Author
User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#26 Post by Old fella » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 pm

A346Dude wrote:
Old fella wrote:
I sure as f--- didn't read/see any sympathy for the 150 pax who were treated in such an inhuman manner, sounds like a well "shit happens" people, this is aviation so suck it up princess. Those are nothing but five unacceptable excuses that many would see as well below any operating standard - bar none.
The fact the 737-800 cannot operate PUJ-YYC non-stop is an unacceptable excuse? A planned tech stop and crew change is an unacceptable excuse?

Surely if Sunwing saw this coming they would have switched the stop to YYZ where at least they can more easily deplane and accomodate everyone when things go sideways. But that would likely entail taking a guaranteed delay to prevent a possible delay in YHM. Try operating an airline and making the "best" decision every single time, when there are a ton of unknowns.
Do you not have any compassion for those 150 people who were left on this parked aircraft for 7-8 hrs after a 2+hr flight, not knowing their status, probably scared with this unsettling situation and finally calling 9-1-1 emergency services looking for help. Confining people that long would be considered cruel and inhumane treatment, apparently those passengers thought so, hence the emergency call. Check the CFS, John C Munro International has good facilities(Services)and is a designated AOE for Canadian Border Security Agency. Sunwing really fucked up here- and that is a bar none.
---------- ADS -----------
  

A346Dude
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#27 Post by A346Dude » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 am

Yes I do have compassion for them, and yes Sunwing absolutely dropped the ball. I'm simply saying I understand why the plane was there in the first place. If you don't want to stop in the USA (which is far more likely to have customs issues), tech stop options on that sector are limited and possibly all were affected by the storm at the time.

Does anyone know what actually happened here? "Problems attaching the ramp to the plane" sounds like a dumb reporter not understanding what a ramp is. All they needed was some fuel, adequately plowed runway/taxiways/apron, and de-icing. Which did they not have? I also thought YHM had 24 hour customs. I don't think we have the full story here.
---------- ADS -----------
  

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#28 Post by DutyFree » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 am

Until everyone appreciates that flying (air travel) isn't a right it's a privilege, and at the same time inherently dynamic and not an exact science and/or business. It's impossible to explain to, or have empathy for anyone who thinks otherwise. There will always be an off chance that the $hit will hit the fan. However don't you worry, the reporters will be salavating at the mouth and I can guarantee they'll share with you the truth behind it all. Next time take a train!
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#29 Post by Old fella » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:02 pm

DutyFree wrote:Until everyone appreciates that flying (air travel) isn't a right it's a privilege, and at the same time inherently dynamic and not an exact science and/or business. It's impossible to explain to, or have empathy for anyone who thinks otherwise. There will always be an off chance that the $hit will hit the fan. However don't you worry, the reporters will be salavating at the mouth and I can guarantee they'll share with you the truth behind it all. Next time take a train!
They are still complaining:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2464696/more- ... ing-trips/
---------- ADS -----------
  

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:35 am

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#30 Post by Galaxy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:12 am

Hearing this more and more all the time....Sadly, like all these poor folks, I've learned the hard way too.

Quoting from the article, “Truly, it’s one more example of you get what you pay for and in the future we’ll be paying for Air Canada and West Jet.”
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#31 Post by Old fella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:50 am

Galaxy wrote:Hearing this more and more all the time....Sadly, like all these poor folks, I've learned the hard way too.

Quoting from the article, “Truly, it’s one more example of you get what you pay for and in the future we’ll be paying for Air Canada and West Jet.”
For sure. When I see sunny destination 7 day all inclusive advertised at "bargain " price that seem rather low or last minute deals, tis research time. There are many blog sites out there that give customer reviews on aparticular resort. Granted folks bitch about everything including colour of the ass wipe so some reviews are taken with a grain of salt. However constant negativity on food/sanitation/cleanliness/decor merits attention- it does me. I have disregarded bargain trips based on such reviews. My experience on all inclusive have been 5 star adult only utilizing a known local knowledgeable travel agency using WJ vacations I believe with positive results.

So yes, you probably get what you pay for.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:39 am
Location: getting closer to home

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#32 Post by ei ei owe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am

Old fella wrote: don't care who says what or whatever the multitude of excuses,I feel being stranded on a parked aircraft for 7-8 hrs in order for those responsible to figure out what's going down is extremely dangerous to the health of people and unsafe. I don't usually advocate the lawyer route but this time such action is warranted. Airlines have to get the message.
Was customs and CBSA available at the time? Maybe the pax were stranded due to the lack of officers at this airport. You seem pretty pumped about this so look into it and report back to us.

I really can't believe any airline would willfully keep people "hostage" so maybe there's a bigger piece to this story but who would want to find out the real truth eh? Easier to paint a crappy story.

Just throwing a couple thoughts out there.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Everything comes in threes....

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#33 Post by godsrcrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:12 am

It certainly wouldn't be the first time passengers have had to sit on a plane due to no gates available. When weather goes for hell and no one can leave airport authorities do not make airlines move empty planes sitting at gates. They allow them to just sit there and leave passengers stranded on planes. Its not just airport authorities that do this by the way. I have seen major airlines leave their empty aircraft at the gate and passengers stranded on planes on the ramp. I think some of this is just straight due to employees being to lazy our dumb to figure out what to do.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#34 Post by Old fella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am

ei ei owe wrote:
Old fella wrote: don't care who says what or whatever the multitude of excuses,I feel being stranded on a parked aircraft for 7-8 hrs in order for those responsible to figure out what's going down is extremely dangerous to the health of people and unsafe. I don't usually advocate the lawyer route but this time such action is warranted. Airlines have to get the message.
Was customs and CBSA available at the time? Maybe the pax were stranded due to the lack of officers at this airport. You seem pretty pumped about this so look into it and report back to us.

I really can't believe any airline would willfully keep people "hostage" so maybe there's a bigger piece to this story but who would want to find out the real truth eh? Easier to paint a crappy story.

Just throwing a couple thoughts out there.
Hamilton is a AOE with designated times outside of that service charges apply(CFS). Real truth of the story is people were kept in a parked aircraft on an apron at a Canadian Certified airport that has plenty of services for a period of 7-8 hrs(the airline in question admitted this). Calls were made to 911 emergency services for assistance from some of the passengers. Dems da facts. If you have information that contradicts, feel free to post and correct, source your information though
---------- ADS -----------
  

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Re: Calgary-bound Sunwing passengers angry after 8-hour wait

#35 Post by ea306 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:42 am

---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”