Sunwing fleet and pilot rosters for the 2015/2015 season

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sunwing fleet and pilot rosters for the 2015/2015 season

Post by DutyFree »

So Gill, you are saying that there has never been a bias towards French speaking candidates at Air transat?
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

By bias, do you mean preference?
Is it any different than a native owned airline preferring to hire natives.
If Dh8 really feels that he was overlooked strictly based on language, perhaps he could file a complaint with the appropriate government department and then one side or the other would be exposed for the truth. Many have presented opinions and facts against his claim yet he persist with this, why confuse him with facts, his mind is made up.
Also DH8, as a Canadian I would much rather see a company hire strictly French speaking pilots over Sunwing bringing in hundreds of foreign pilots. Now that they are restricted from that practice, there are many Sunwing pilots who were and will be upgraded, who should be thanking Gilles!

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

mbav8r wrote:By bias, do you mean preference?
If Dh8 really feels that he was overlooked strictly based on language, perhaps he could file a complaint with the appropriate government department and then one side or the other would be exposed for the truth. Many have presented opinions and facts against his claim yet he persist with this, why confuse him with facts, his mind is made up.
Also DH8, as a Canadian I would much rather see a company hire strictly French speaking pilots over Sunwing bringing in hundreds of foreign pilots. Now that they are restricted from that practice, there are many Sunwing pilots who were and will be upgraded, who should be thanking Gilles!
Were restricted from that practice last year, that does not mean that they will be restricted in future years.

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BBQ Chips »

Has anyone read the topic of this thread?

As I can't resist, Airtransat clearly hires both anglophones and francophones. Do they prefer people who can speak French? Of course! Is that unfair from a company based in Quebec with a largely francophone workforce? I hardly think so.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

French stuff makes people angry.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Shady McSly wrote:French stuff makes people angry.
No,

Unfairness makes people angry(as well as when I am happy that SW is hiring so many).

Look at what is said earlier.
mbav8r wrote:By bias, do you mean preference?
Easily interpreted as it is OK for a native airline to hire based on race and a major airline hiring based on cultural background(I know, I know, you will now deny that).
mbav8r wrote: Many have presented opinions and facts against his claim yet he persist with this, why confuse him with facts, his mind is made up.
Your opinion is quite clear as I have quoted. I have presented the hiring requirements which are a fact, yet somehow, you think I am confused and won't change my mind based on what are stated as hiring requirements. If is not a requirement, then it should not be stated as one.
mbav8r wrote: Also DH8, as a Canadian I would much rather see a company hire strictly French speaking pilots over Sunwing bringing in hundreds of foreign pilots. Now that they are restricted from that practice, there are many Sunwing pilots who were and will be upgraded, who should be thanking Gilles!
As a Canadian, I appreciate the opportunities that have been given to all the Canadians hired as SW, many of whom don't meet the requirements of their competition. Someone else stated "Proportionally, we have no less anglos that WestJet has Francophones......" but comparing apples to apples with allowance for some minor differences, I think a comparison of the proportions at the YYZ base for both companies would speak volumes(Gilles frequently asks for employee info about other companies so this time he can help us, expect no response though).

There are a bunch of North Cariboo guys just laid off. I suggest that they should all send in resumes to this other company and SW and we'll see how many are hired. Come on Gilles, unilingual Metro captain(like you were) versus King Air F/O from Air Inuit, who's going to get the job? There is no hope, I suspect. Or maybe they won't be hired because there will be equally qualified bilingual guys. So be it. I will sure be happy for those that get on with SW and its rapid expansion. Thank you SW for the other 70% of Canadians.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks later and no response. I wonder why. Those who were condemning me will say that they are above responding like perhaps Gilles has in the past. But he did respond earlier on this thread to my statement. So what is the reality?

I am right in what I have saying the whole time as I have proven in this very post above the dashed line.

Some people just get angry when their discrimination is exposed.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Dh8Classic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 am :roll: :roll: :roll:

Added comment.

Aren't these posters who disagree with me just wonderful human beings. First, they deny that there is any bias in hiring and that there is no restriction for the majority of us. Then when I prove that I am right by showing the actual hiring requirements(bilingual required which eliminates the vast majority of non-Quebecers), we are called lazy, and insulted for complaining. BAE146 who posted below doesn't want to fly with me as I complained. Confuzed who was outright lying about me being wrong about the requirements calls us bitter for basically never getting an fair opportunity based on experience as seen by earlier guys who were qualified not getting called. In other words, their only statements now are insults. I was mostly right all along if not completely right.

I try to be reasonable and say that I have no problem with extra points given to someone who is bilingual and therefore when it comes to two similar candidates, the bilingual one gets the job and insults are given in return, probably by those who benefit or have the potential to benefit from the present policy.

That is how it is for the majority of you guys out there. Just like the affirmative action programs. Complain because your higher marks didn't get you into University due to not being the right colour and you are a racist. Maybe I am one as well, based on this thread.

Oh well, I am still happy at all the opportunities at Rouge, WJ, and Sunwing which seems to be where the near future opportunities are. Perhaps others are bitter at that but I am quite pleased.

Flame away but I am happy. 8) 8) 8)
Looks like the issue has been resolved permanently. Sunwing and others with fair hiring policies will move in to fill the gaps, and there will be gaps to fill. Enjoy the Embraers, it is actually has some nice features.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”