Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sunwing fleet and pilot rosters for the 2015/2015 season

Post by anonymity »

Pete wrote:Gilles,

What is the difference between Sunwing wet leases and the wet lease Transat has with Czech TVS? I don't want to hear "well that's only a couple aircraft". Numbers are irrelevant at this point now that Transat is doing the same thing. So should this thread.
Pete, not only are the numbers relevant the fact that this has been going on for years and the alarm bells were sounded a long time ago about other Canadian carriers having to join in on the fun in order to compete is also quite relevant. I think an, I told you so is in order.
What have you been doing to prevent the practice of foreign pilots, regardless of how they are here?
Thanks a million Gilles, for all of your past efforts and I'm certain, future efforts!
---------- ADS -----------

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

But back to the real subject of this thread. Anyone with info on hires and upgrades please post them.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Gilles,

These are estimates based on conversations that I have had with several SW pilots:

- 108 pilots hired (including seasonal FO)

- Upgrades to many permanent pilots hired in 2013 (some will just be winter upgrades). Not sure about 2014 hire upgrades.

- total pilot list in the vicinity of 350 (including seasonal FO)

Of course, I stand to be corrected by anybody with more accurate or timely information.

The bottom line is that the rejection of the TFWP applications for winter 2015/2016 appears to have created more seniority list (non wet lease) pilot positions and more seniority list (non wet lease) captaincies. I suspect that is the information you were looking for.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Someone corrected me: there are 6 foreign wet-leases, so the fleet stands at 39 aircraft.

If there are 33 canadian registered aircraft flying, there needs to be at least 396 Canadian pilots on staff, if they are maintaining 6 crews per aircraft as they did previously. I don't see how there could be any less.

If there are less, either some of the aircraft are not flying or there are some foreign pilots I did not know about.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

Lots of foreign pilots I guess.

Dick
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: A position or point in physical space. That's where I am!

Post by Dick »

Lots of Canadian pilots I guess.

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

Wait are you telling me that I can't state opinion as fact? What if I wrap it all up and sell it like it is.

ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

Last edited by ei ei owe on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything comes in threes....
richardhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by richardhead »

Hey Gilles

On a side note. Is it true your wife runs a business that assists foreign workers wanting to work in Canada?

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Your not allowed to ask that question in here. The moderators get upset. Load of crap!!

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

richardhead wrote:Hey Gilles

On a side note. Is it true your wife runs a business that assists foreign workers wanting to work in Canada?
Hey, on a side note: Who cares!
You are short of arguments so you have to go into personal attacks.

With SW history to screw around the law, nothing would surprise me anymore.

whipline wrote:Your not allowed to ask that question in here. The moderators get upset. Load of crap!!
It is none of our business what someone else wife job is. In the case that information would be true and I don't want to know, it would only give more credibility to Gilles for all of the data on immigration he brought up. It is easy behind a nickname to attack someone else family.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

My understanding is more hiring and more upgrades are coming at SW. All Canadians or pilots with landed immigrant status in Canada.

AT uses foreign wet leases. WJ has used foreign wet leases. AC has used foreign wet leases. None have done so with any specific reciprocity. SW would appear to be the only carrier to be doing so.

I am under no misconception that TFW staffing at SW would have continued as a normal practice absent the efforts of several individuals and organizations to expose it to greater scrutiny.

Some may be upset about the past staffing practices but the evolution of 'the rules' and the current competitive environment makes SW one of the best places for a Canadian pilot to pick up a seniority number.

Good luck to the SW pilots in collective bargaining.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

richardhead wrote:Hey Gilles

Flaunt your stupidity on-line on this forum, it only puts your fake identity to shame, your real identity stay safe behind it.

How about my kids, you want to know what day care centre they go to ? Maybe it employs TFW ? Would that not be ironic ?

richardhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by richardhead »

So??? That a yes?

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

richardhead wrote:So??? That a yes?

Richardhead, hope this helps : http://m.wikihow.com/Cope-With-Frustration

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

richardhead wrote:So??? That a yes?
I can understand why Gilles doesn't want to answer that question. It's personal and confidential. However Gilles should also be understanding when he doesn't get all the answers to the questions he poses, as many of them are also personal and confidential in nature. This is especially true when there is a hidden agenda behind many of his questions. In a perfect world, Gilles would be comfortable answering yes to the question posed by you, and there could be a more open discussion amongst peers regarding various issues facing our so called profession.

richardhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by richardhead »

I don't know why your so upset. Its really a simple question. My intentions hold no malice towards you. I can certainly assure you of that. Its just that someone passed along a business card to me and indicated that the person on the card, the person who's business it was to assist foreigners in their quest to work here within our borders was in fact your wife. Well you can imagine my surprise to hear such a thing. I mean to hear that the person who for the most part has been responsible for leading the amazingly brave and honourable charge against those who are not great Canadians such as ourselves and who would come here and be gainfully employed by companies who followed the letter of the law to do so. Well I refused to believe it. My god could you imagine such a person, one who could with a straight face do such a thing. I mean to lead such a noble charge against those who seek to undermine our great economy and yet at the same time profess him or herself to be the great protector and actually support that which he has such a great disdain for. I still find it incomprehesible.

But alas I am a mere human and my curiosity has gotten the better of me. So please Gilles, please say it ain't so.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

richardhead wrote:I don't know why your so upset. Its really a simple question. My intentions hold no malice towards you. I can certainly assure you of that. Its just that someone passed along a business card to me and indicated that the person on the card, the person who's business it was to assist foreigners in their quest to work here within our borders was in fact your wife. Well you can imagine my surprise to hear such a thing. I mean to hear that the person who for the most part has been responsible for leading the amazingly brave and honourable charge against those who are not great Canadians such as ourselves and who would come here and be gainfully employed by companies who followed the letter of the law to do so. Well I refused to believe it. My god could you imagine such a person, one who could with a straight face do such a thing. I mean to lead such a noble charge against those who seek to undermine our great economy and yet at the same time profess him or herself to be the great protector and actually support that which he has such a great disdain for. I still find it incomprehesible.

But alas I am a mere human and my curiosity has gotten the better of me. So please Gilles, please say it ain't so.
The point you are missing, Dick, is that his brave and honourable charge has not been against foreigners; it has been against companies that circumvent the law to use foreigners in order to gain competitive advantage. An intelligent person would probably also understand that somebody whose profession it is to help foreigners find work in Canada would being doing so through proper legal channels, following the regulations, or their career would likely end up being fairly short. An intelligent person would also likely be able to draw the conclusion that if one's spouse did, in fact, work in such a capacity it would definitely provide one with invaluable insight into how the whole system works, and how it might be abused by some entities.

But perhaps you are not an intelligent person.

By the way, I have no idea what one's wife does or does not do for a living. Nor do I care.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

So does anyone on at SW know if they will be hiring again shortly?

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

Word is that 220 Sunwing pilots are heading over the puddle for the summer. With those numbers they should be looking to hire. Better dust off the old log book.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”