Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is there anyone getting hired?

Post by suve87 »

Thank you for all the feedback
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by suve87 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Is there anyone getting hired?

Post by andy_mtl »

Have you tried Skyregional?

Every single regional is hiring right now and take northen ontario , most the 703 704 ops are hiring like crazy as well.

Andy

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

suve87 wrote:Hello guys,

I have been applying since beginning of this year and I haven't received any call or email. Just curious what's going on?
Is there anyone getting call or email for interviews? or its just quiet session of 2016.

1800tt ATPL ERJ TYPE
1700tt PIC
200tt AMEL

Respectfully,
Basically the only people NOT hiring right now are those depending on oil patch work.

PROC_HDG

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Operators in AB and BC that are still going, irrespective of float pilots, are probably saturated with resumes from the layoffs and likely aren't in need of any extra warm bodies.
I doubt many people who have put down roots in the West want to relocate to Ontario, hence the amount of movement still going on here.

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suve87 »

:prayer:

Last edited by suve87 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Resume: Using the word professional 5 times in 4 sentences, and then making spelling mistakes doesn't really look very professional :wink:
If you are looking for a job in Canada, use the canadian terminology. AMEL / Certified Flight Instructor => that's FAA words.

unless you are looking for a flight instructor position, remove the Dual given hours. Don't lie if they ask, but don't volunteer that info. Same for that Second in command (unless they are looking for SIC time or do you mean FO time ?). Same for cross country time. Operators don't care.

If you have references, put hem on your resume. Don't put references available upon request. (but people disagree on this one)

Cover letter: Make sure you address the company you are applying to. Add the name of the person who will be reading your resume.

How many companies have you visited ? Why did you leave the US ? (you don't have to answer that here, but it might be a question employers have)

Good luck !

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

1) change "Transport of Canada" to what is should be.
2) explain why you are not at your previous EMJ job (if you don't most will assume you got fired)
3) say "professionalism" less
4) probably have more luck getting a job in US with that type rating

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suve87 »

:prayer: thank you guys

Last edited by suve87 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Do you need any type of visa to work in Canada?

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suve87 »

NO! I am Canadian citizen

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

To be blunt, both your cover letter and resume are riddled with spelling mistakes and poor grammar. It would likely preclude you from getting any calls regardless of your experience. You should definitely have a friend redo it for you or pay a third party, XSBank on here does a great job.
Good luck!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Also you only did 140 hours in 8 months an at airline so companies might be wondering why that is, also having an ERJ type rating will probably hurt your ability to get some jobs here on king airs / metros because it's been a while since you've seen a steam gauge and it tells them you will jump ship ASAP.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

Please take this feedback as constructive... I'm not trying to be discouraging, just giving my impressions. I'm also not an 'airline guy', but I am a CP at a bush operation so I've seen a few resumes.

First the bad:

I think you're sort of throwing a hail marry by applying to the companies you mentioned; I suppose you could luck out but I wouldn't hold your breath. I guess it's alright that you have a jet type rating but the long and the short of it is that you lack the experience required to sail into the Canadian 705 industry.

I googled the two companies you instructed at and what I saw didn't leave a great impression. The first one closed up shop and left 79 Vietnamese students in limbo. The first image displayed was one of a 172 with collapsed nose gear and a fire truck beside it.

The second school you worked at is at least still in business but is also clearly a puppy mill for foreign students. One of the few reviews I could see mentioned that the service was shite and the instructors could barely speak English.

You have a resume filled with spelling and grammatical errors.

Your path so far doesn't match the typical Canadian aviation experience and I think pilots in hiring positions look for candidates with experience that they can relate to. It's clear from looking beyond our borders that pilots can transition straight from a trainer into a 705 category aircraft but in Canada a more steady progression is still valued. I think that progression has been validated based on recent accidents we've seen from an assortment of international carriers.

As for the good:

You've accumulated a fair bit of time in the last few years and scored an Embraer type rating and an airline job. :supz: Somehow you acquired a temporary work permit in the USA. Keep fighting to renew that work permit and go back to the the job you had if it's at all possible. Apply internationally if that's your cup of tea. Maybe somebody will bite. If they do you'll be the envy of more than a few pilots in Canada!

In the meantime maybe pare your expectations in Canada, clean up your resume, and start looking at 703/704 opportunities.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suve87 »

2 months of sim and check ride
2months waiting for IOE due to their busy schedule
15 days on IOE
then Reserve till October

Anyways I see where the problem is. Thank you guys I really appreciate it. :prayer:

Taxi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Taxi »

Don't worry suve87, if you really sent your resume at all regionals like Jazz, Sky, ggn, porter and westjet encore, you'll be call soon, there's not a lot of experience pilot anymore, they took people with less experience then you. So don't worry the call will be soon.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

With the glass cockpit and EMJ time (145?) you should have a solid shot at Sky, Georgian and Jazz. Probably ahead of a Navajo bush guy with 4000 hours. I would really highlight those strengths and any flying you may have done in busier airspace/airports. Those are the items the northern guys are struggling with at the regionals.
I didn't look at the resume and cover letter but if it's filled with grammatical errors it would be well worth the money to have someone fix it up for you. Clean it up, reapply and a call will come.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”