Jumpseating to Asia

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Jumpseating to Asia

Post by ahramin »

Going to Vietnam in a couple months and wondering if anyone has any experience jumpseating out of YVR to asia. My options are through Hong Kong with AC or Cathay or maybe through Tokyo with AC. Don't know if I should give it a try or just buy a ticket. Does anyone know if these flights often fill up or is there always a seat or 2 empty? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Niodatchi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jumpseating to Asia

Post by Niodatchi »

There are always a seat or two on AC. Even if it shows oversold, there are always a lot of last minute no-shows. I've been jumpseating on AC very frequently for the past 13 years.Mainly to Tokyo and Osaka, but also Beijing and Seoul. Always made it and got upgraded to business numerous times. All the best!
-Nio

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Enjoy Vietnam. It's our favorite Asian country.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Panama Jack wrote:Enjoy Vietnam. It's our favorite Asian country.
Also America's, apparently...

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

I've only JS to SE Asia twice so here are my impressions.

HKG is a great HUB however somewhat difficult to get to. AC may overbook by 30-50 and I've heard as many as 50 no shows can happen. From what I can tell, it also has no real seasonality to it. Watch out for the Chinese New Year on Feb.8th, SE Asia can get busy!

If you have JS agreements with Delta and United, you'll have NRT-HKG daily on both, although they seem to be full most times I've checked. As an alternate, Delta operates an A332 SEA-HKG on Saturdays and Wednesday too! This was a new route that was quickly scaled down. :( BTW, the AC flight arrives in the afternoon so your generally SOL for a connection to SE Asia. The 0125 Cathey departure is timed perfectly however! But that will cost 250ish on a ZED. If you have CX ZEDs, this would be an option to look into as a decent hotels in HKG is 150, thus negating the JS advantage. Also, it's quite civilized to depart at 0125, fly for 12 hrs, have a 2hr connection and be in Vietnam in the afternoon. FYI, we flew HKT-HKG on a Dragonair ZED and it was a pleasure!

Another great alternative is SIN. Delta and United both have daily flights from their respective NRT hub. Flying to NRT should be easy from YVR. Also, there is YYC-NRT 3X weekly. The NRT-SIN flights can be busy too however the airport is fantastic with a cheap and clean in-transit hotel. IMHO, Singapore is far nicer to get stuck in than Hong Kong. Plus, if you're really stuck, you can always use a Qantas ZED to SYD and JS AC SYD-YVR. (which is pretty light in Feb from my memory, it's their "September" as school holidays are done)

ICN can work nicely too if you have ZEDs on Korean Airlines. I had ZEDs book on Korean to fly to Bali and it was 80$ or so each way on a 8hr sector thanks to the non existent taxes. (they flew 9x weekly A333 ICN-DPS suprisingly) Flying to ICN from YVR should be a breeze.

Finally, if you have a JS agreement with Atlas Air, they too can be great. I've never used them but spoke to two Atlas Air pilots who suggested I use them for Asia. They have 12 or so business class seats on the top deck of the 747 and will cater a three course business class meal for JS pilots! The only caveat is that they often deadhead crew which can limit availability. Also, as I type this, I remember there could be a CASS security thing that may preclude international JS on US Cargo aircraft.....

Don't fly through Europe. It's two consecutive red eyes. I've done that, never again! Although I can say I flew around the world on Standby. :wink:

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Also, Google is now incredibly helpful. It will display the timetable of most busy routes. Try googling "HKG-SGN timetable" I just did and I'm pleasantly surprise that United 179 operates 4 times weekly from HKG. This literally turns hours into minutes for back up planning.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Thanks for all the information but I don't have ZEDs. Reciprocal jumpseat only so the only way I get on is if literally no one else in the world wants a seat.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”