2016 Sunwing Interviews

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tobelino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 2016 Sunwing Interviews

Post by Tobelino »

It would appear that the hiring process has been stopped and the 50-60 pilots to be hired will be be reduced considerably. I also heard that roughly 20 students from Seneca college will be hired to start the cadet program... Hope I'm wrong! :(
---------- ADS -----------

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

Not sure what's going on with the number of new hires as the winter flying program is being re-evaluated now that the Apple Vacation flying is no longer going ahead but you're off on your cadet number by a factor of 10. Management has stated that they will be hiring "up to 2 cadets maximum" this year. It could be 2, 1 or none... depends on the candidates they find.

Tobelino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tobelino »

Happy to be off on the cadet point. I just hope that things will pick up for Sunwing and for us applicants. There isn't much info out there as to what is going on, even pilots I know who fly for SWG are pretty much clueless... I guess it's going to be plan B...

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Tobelino wrote: I also heard that roughly 20 students from Seneca college will be hired to start the cadet program...
What a mistake that would be.

Interview and hire the best 200hr candidate from applications, not students just because they went to Seneca of all places.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

I can assure you its not ANYWHERE near 20 Seneca students.

Also keep in mind they are hiring from Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre.....

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Any chance to get a call for 1500-2000hrs pilots?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Is it true that the Seneca cadets are required to pay for their B737 type endorsement by repaying $1000 per month for the first 24 months of their employment at SW?

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

speedah wrote:I can assure you its not ANYWHERE near 20 Seneca students.

Is Waterloo Conestoga College (sp)?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

lazyeight wrote:
speedah wrote:I can assure you its not ANYWHERE near 20 Seneca students.

Is Waterloo Conestoga College (sp)?
Waterloo University Aviation Program
https://uwaterloo.ca/aviation/

Tobelino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tobelino »

Finally received a letter from Sunwing HR saying that I was not chosen because of the overwhelming quantity and quality of internal hires.... Did they actually hire anyone?? Good luck to the others who applied...

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

If you successful you were notified and will not have to re-interview within a year.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

'We are please to inform you that you were successful during the recruitment process, unfortunately we are unable to make employment offers at this time. If a position is available within the next year you will not be required to interview again' This is the basic gist of it. Hopefully Sunwing is doing ok.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

rudder wrote:Is it true that the Seneca cadets are required to pay for their B737 type endorsement by repaying $1000 per month for the first 24 months of their employment at SW?
I cannot speak for anyone in the cadet program as I do not personally know any details on that subject.

I can tell you that for anyone who accepts a permanent position with the company have traditionally had to sign an agreement to reimburse the company pro-rated up to 24 months IF the said pilot CHOOSES to leave the company before serving their 24 month commitment. So if a pilot were to choose to leave after 18 months of service, then yes...they would owe $6000.00 to SunWing for the remainder of the 24 month agreement.

No cash training bond has ever been collected from a new hire and no new hire has ever been asked to pay for their type rating. That is not done at SunWing.

My guess is that this will also apply to the cadet program as they are being offered permanent employment. That is my guess....nothing more.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

ea306 wrote:
rudder wrote:Is it true that the Seneca cadets are required to pay for their B737 type endorsement by repaying $1000 per month for the first 24 months of their employment at SW?
I cannot speak for anyone in the cadet program as I do not personally know any details on that subject.

I can tell you that for anyone who accepts a permanent position with the company have traditionally had to sign an agreement to reimburse the company pro-rated up to 24 months IF the said pilot CHOOSES to leave the company before serving their 24 month commitment. So if a pilot were to choose to leave after 18 months of service, then yes...they would owe $6000.00 to SunWing for the remainder of the 24 month agreement.

No cash training bond has ever been collected from a new hire and no new hire has ever been asked to pay for their type rating. That is not done at SunWing.

My guess is that this will also apply to the cadet program as they are being offered permanent employment. That is my guess....nothing more.
A Seneca instructor told me that the version that he got from a Seneca grad that received an offer was 'pay for training'. Hopefully the cadet did not understand the difference between a 'training bond' and a 'training bill'.

Flysafe21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flysafe21 »

Congrats to the people that were successful during the interview process. We all know it's easier to do a PPC test than a major airline interview ! To the people who did not get a positive letter, I strongly encourage you in not giving up. It's tough sometimes but success is there for those who persevere.

Does anybody knows how many pilot are in the pool for that period of one year ?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Tobelino wrote:Finally received a letter from Sunwing HR saying that I was not chosen because of the overwhelming quantity and quality of internal hires.... Did they actually hire anyone?? Good luck to the others who applied...
What exactly is an internal hire? Someone with an internal reference maybe? Odd. Sunwing promoting from the ramp? ;)

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us for a First Officer position with Sunwing Airlines. Your interest in joining our organization is most appreciated.

This year in particular, we had an overwhelming response to our Internal Pilot Recommendation request, and the interest we received from such high calibre applicants made our selection process difficult and challenging.

We are pleased to inform you that your interview results were favorable and you were successful during the recruitment process. Unfortunately, we are unable to make employment offers at this time. Your file will be kept active for a period of 1 year. Should we be in a position to make you an offer of employment during this time, no additional interview will be required.

We understand this is not the outcome that you had hoped for, but we feel that this best prepares Sunwing Airlines for future recruitment.

Thank you again for taking the time to meet with us, and we hope to be in contact with you in the near future.

Tobelino
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tobelino »

DanWEC wrote:
Tobelino wrote:Finally received a letter from Sunwing HR saying that I was not chosen because of the overwhelming quantity and quality of internal hires.... Did they actually hire anyone?? Good luck to the others who applied...
What exactly is an internal hire? Someone with an internal reference maybe? Odd. Sunwing promoting from the ramp? ;)
My bad! Hahaha! I meant internal references. That's probably why I was not selected by SWG, my English fails me sometimes lol. Anyway, hope that those who where selected will get an offer soon. Happy trails to all and safe flying! Cheers!

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Been quiet, not much news regarding Sunwing hiring for a long while....anybody got an update for 2017 ?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Likely nothing in 2017

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”