New Flt Crew Regs

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Flt Crew Regs

Post by lazyeight »

timel wrote:I spoke to a 703 chief pilot recently, he told me they had to phone jazz and other regional operators and asked them to slow down the hiring of their pilots, he even told me they would have to close the doors if the hiring keeps on going as it is now. So what is it going to be in 2018?
If I found out my CP did that while I was trying to get a job with them I would be out the door faster than you can say "see you in 9 hours."
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Would Jazz HR actually care what some 703 company thinks?

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mel gibson »

A Chief Pilot did that to me. Told the airline not to hire all his pilots. Delayed my course a month.
A couple of years later, those lost seniority numbers cost me a two year layoff, 7 numbers actually from not getting furloughed, and cost me thousands of dollars. It took me years to recover from that financially.
So, Chief Pilots that do that, can go F#%^ themselves.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

goingnowherefast wrote:Would Jazz HR actually care what some 703 company thinks?
I don't know how much they care, but if they have a pool of pilots and someone gives them a call asking to slow down some hirings, I guess it may have some impact, for sure if you are waiting for a job in some seniority based airline, it could make the difference big time, like Mel said it definitely s&*ks.
The best way to deal with a pilot shortage is to fly less frequency in larger aircraft. Just look south of the boarder. 50 seaters upguaged to 75. Majors repatriating 175/crj into 737's and reducing frequency.

From a pilot perspective it's a good thing. More good paying jobs. Less crappy paying.
Or they will hire cadets and what is left of pilots in 703-704.

BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

someone gives them a call asking to slow down some hirings, I guess it may have some impact, for sure if you are waiting for a job in some seniority based airline, it could make the difference big time
isn't separate businesses colluding against potential employees illegal? That sounds greasy AF.

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

Thorjones wrote:on the upside though it may spur some even more hiring for pilots? But this could increase company costs and create a need for even lower wages :?

Personally, I'd rather have a 1,000 good paying jobs flying planes than 2,000 shitty ones!!! IMHO

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

BuckNasty wrote:
someone gives them a call asking to slow down some hirings, I guess it may have some impact, for sure if you are waiting for a job in some seniority based airline, it could make the difference big time
isn't separate businesses colluding against potential employees illegal? That sounds greasy AF.
Really?? Sounds like pilots here colluding against employers. A CP is just doing his job trying to keep fully staffed. A large carrier like Jazz may not have a clue how they are effecting a company. If asked I'd try and accommodate a company that called and asked if I could hold off, not a sure thing but...... Karma is a ....

I know someone who got stuck in the "pool" in a similar manner. The "pool" was C3000 and it was 2001. Turned out to not be such a bad thing. #noteveryonelikes the sandbox

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

#hastagsworkinphpbb

I disagree. If I as an employee was meeting all of your responsibilities with notice, contract fulfillment etc there would be hell to pay if my boss or CP was blocking my progression up the ladder. Seniority is everything.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Or perhaps the small 703 company has no bond and said pilot said he'd stay for 2 years on a handshake and now 1 year in he is trying to leave...

BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

fish4life wrote:Or perhaps the small 703 company has no bond and said pilot said he'd stay for 2 years on a handshake and now 1 year in he is trying to leave...
A job is a job not a charity, if you have better prospects you should take them. Would that same business continue to employ you based on that handshake if it were going bankrupt? I doubt it.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

BuckNasty wrote:
fish4life wrote:Or perhaps the small 703 company has no bond and said pilot said he'd stay for 2 years on a handshake and now 1 year in he is trying to leave...
A job is a job not a charity, if you have better prospects you should take them. Would that same business continue to employ you based on that handshake if it were going bankrupt? I doubt it.

You wave that huge red flag loudly and proudly! Proclaim from the mountaintops "I am the reason we all have bonds! You're welcome!".

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

TheStig wrote:Lot's of examples on this thread of why I'm glad pilots aren't self regulating. TC is looking out for the public's interests, not what pilots think will make their schedules include the most days off. Based on my companies pairings I can think of very few duty days that will need to be changed, and working a 8-9 day month of transcontinental turns would still be possible. Changes to augmentation on longer flights should increase pilot requirements substantially.

I don't share your faith on the benevolence of TC and their Wisdom. They are a department Of, By and For the airlines. When the needed shift finally comes, I won't count on them to get it right.

I would assert that working 14 hours days is reasonable in the right conditions: limited days per month, day flying, no sleep schedule shift, etc. People sitting in the seat with their opinions mean more to me than someone who has never worked in the industry, flying a desk.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”