Jazz hiring in 2017

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz hiring in 2017

Post by Pt6-42 »

Just wanted to know if anyone on the inside at jazz had any ideas what the hiring outlook was for 2017

Thanks
Pt6 :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Jazz hiring in 2017

Post by flyer 1492 »

The next equipment bid comes out on August 15. We will have a better idea at that time. My guess is yes the hiring will continue.

Flyer

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Expect a big announcement around the same time.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

lazyeight wrote:Expect a big announcement around the same time.
... gooooo on

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Thanks , hope this announcment is for the better ... Ie pay or sced.. But i wont hold my breath.... Its aviation :rolleyes:

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

I heard from friends at Jazz, next year is going to be an insane one for the hirings, I was told they still hire as we speak, it must be quite something to work in the training department.
This is good years for the pilots.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Do you think anyone with around 1000tt with 800 multi would have a chance?

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

PositiveRate27 wrote:
... gooooo on
Most certainly a base realignment with the possible reopening of the YVR RJ operation as there jets shift out of YYZ is the big rumour.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Pt6-42 wrote:Thanks , hope this announcment is for the better ... Ie pay or sced.. But i wont hold my breath.... Its aviation :rolleyes:
We shall see... :rolleyes:
Pt6-42 wrote:Do you think anyone with around 1000tt with 800 multi would have a chance?
Probably not but with the way things have been going in the last year who knows what could happen. Get your ATPL exam done, 500MPIC and close to 1500 hours and you'll help your cause.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

AllClutch wrote: Most certainly a base realignment with the possible reopening of the YVR RJ operation as there jets shift out of YYZ is the big rumour.
I'm crossing my fingers for a CPA revision and CS100's. But I think that's a bit pie in the sky.

Could we see AC start to focus more on International routes over the next years and Jazz becoming the "domestic" Air Canada?

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

lazyeight wrote: I'm crossing my fingers for a CPA revision and CS100's. But I think that's a bit pie in the sky.

Could we see AC start to focus more on International routes over the next years and Jazz becoming the "domestic" Air Canada?
Although this is probably what air canada management would like (it would save them tons of money), this is not what any Canadian pilot should want!

Whether you are a jazz pilot, AC pilot, or a 703/704 pilot working towards a AC/jazz/express 705 job in the futur; shifting flying/jobs at jazz, sky and/or georgian simply means less money for the Canadian pilot community.

For example, from a pilots' perspective: a Canadian airline industry with 3500 AC mainline jobs and say 1500 express jobs, is a much better situation than one with 3000 AC mainline jobs and 2000 express jobs. I.e. Same amount of flying and jobs out there, but much lower pool of money/salaries for pilots.

I was on a rapid air yyz/Yul flight couple weeks ago operated by sky on a E175... Captain making about 90k and FO making 45k (ball park). Just a few years ago, this same flight was operated with a captain making over 160k and a FO making 90k!!! Scaled onto a broader scale, Numbers like there are a huge loss for the Canadian pilot community.

I think it's in the best interest of every Canadian pilot to keep as much flying under AC mainline working conditions and salaries as it simply means more opportunity for higher paying jobs with better quality of life for all Canadian pilots.

With all due respect to all Canadian pilots, just my two cents..

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The above is all very true. The same thing happened to Jazz within the past 2 years. The Jazz pilot roster has shrunk by about 150 pilots. From about 1500 to 1350-ish. All of those jobs have gone to other CPA carriers where the pay/pension/benefits are much lower.

Jazz is still a career airline (for now at least!). If AC management could, they'd shift all the flying to the lowest bidder.

Let’s Go Brandon
peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Lazyeight I'm disappointed that you are wishing for the c series will go to express. Everyone got upset that sky was awarded the e 175 and GGN got the CRJ because they were brining down industry standard and pay. Please I ask you to sit back and think do I really want to bring down pay and lifestyle of pilots just so youcan fly a big shinny jet! Please let's all stop cutting each other throats to fly bigger planes and take less money doing it. We have all worked our bags off to get here nothing has been easy we as canadian pilots deserve a certain standard let's not give anymore up.
Fly safe everyone and remember we are paid to fly but most important we are paid to know when not to fly!

Cheers

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

You at LTD make valid points and I have somewhat changed my view on it all after both of your posts.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

YVR RJ base returning? while it could happen.. it is unlikely, even though many YVR pilots wish and dream of it's return... It employs many Seasonal routes. YYC has them covered. They also don't overnight a ton of crews in YVR. The Q however.. we looked at numbers, anywhere from 4-6 crews a night in YVR which is the most expensive spot in the system. Not to mention the number of DH's to YVR from YYC for it, or the many who live in the YVR that commute to YYC being only a tiny piece of the puzzle. With solid load factors on the Q out of YLW, YYJ,PDX, SEA, and even YCD it would certainly make financial sense for a YVR Q base, especially with pressure from Encore.

Should see a lot of changes when this bid comes up in august.I for one hope it doest get massively delayed. Should see some significant opportunity. It'll be an interesting one thats for sure.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Rowdy wrote:YVR RJ base returning? while it could happen.. it is unlikely, even though many YVR pilots wish and dream of it's return... It employs many Seasonal routes. YYC has them covered. They also don't overnight a ton of crews in YVR. The Q however.. we looked at numbers, anywhere from 4-6 crews a night in YVR which is the most expensive spot in the system. Not to mention the number of DH's to YVR from YYC for it, or the many who live in the YVR that commute to YYC being only a tiny piece of the puzzle. With solid load factors on the Q out of YLW, YYJ,PDX, SEA, and even YCD it would certainly make financial sense for a YVR Q base, especially with pressure from Encore.

Should see a lot of changes when this bid comes up in august.I for one hope it doest get massively delayed. Should see some significant opportunity. It'll be an interesting one thats for sure.
I would love to see it, but the consensus seems to be the RJ going back into YVR. Hopefully youre right!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

PML 2.0 perhaps?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”