MEL policy

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

MEL policy

Post by rxl »

Just curious what other airlines have as policy with respect to number of concurrent allowable deferrals on any one aircraft?
Ours is that for an aircraft to be dispatched with 3 or more deferrals under the MEL, flight operations management must give their approval. The approval is not required for things like passenger convenience items or some non-critical light bulbs. The exempt items are clearly identified in the MEL.
Is this industry standard?
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: MEL policy

Post by Inverted2 »

Not at 1 YYZ based company I can think of. The limiting factor is how many yellow stickers in the MEL pouch. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Final responsibility for dispatch with several deferrals rest with the Captain. Meaning even if everybody else says it's OK and he/she says it's not then the airplane doesn't go - at least not with that Captain. Of course it is always the company's prerogative to remove an aircraft from service anytime they see fit to.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote:Final responsibility for dispatch with several deferrals rest with the Captain. Meaning even if everybody else says it's OK and he/she says it's not then the airplane doesn't go - at least not with that Captain. Of course it is always the company's prerogative to remove an aircraft from service anytime they see fit to.
Maybe they will find a better captain. One worthy of an award...

http://jetpubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Crash.jpg

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

rxl wrote:Just curious what other airlines have as policy with respect to number of concurrent allowable deferrals on any one aircraft?
Ours is that for an aircraft to be dispatched with 3 or more deferrals under the MEL, flight operations management must give their approval. The approval is not required for things like passenger convenience items or some non-critical light bulbs. The exempt items are clearly identified in the MEL.
Is this industry standard?
No limits on the number of MEL items at any company I have worked for - decision to accept an aircraft is exactly as Rockie stated.

I once took out a 757 with the autothrottle inop and 1 out of 3 IRS inop. The aircraft was being flown east well away from home base. I contacted my Chief Pilot to express my concern about sending an aircraft out to a remote station in this condition.

He stated that as long as it was allowed under the MEL they would continue to dispatch the aircraft in its current condition. One week later this aircraft went AOG a long way from home base. Cost a lot of money - zero sympathy from me.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

After trying to be "the good guy" after advising mtc several times, i wote up 3 pages of snags all mel'd. But when you get to the point of not bothering to write them up, because they never get fixed properly anyway, well your either a troublemaker, or should start looking elsewhere

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”