Per Diems

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Per Diems

Post by mbav8r »

Rockie, I think you're just being stubborn at this point, how would reimbursement be ideal? That's a ridiculous statement! And not once have I ever starved myself, I even order the healthy more expensive choices like salmon as opposed to burger and fries from McDonald's, yet somehow I still have half the per diems left.
Would it surprise you to know that the per diems were negotiated higher instead of a bigger wage increase, right from the horses mouth higher tax free money. They had a set amount to spread around and it was felt that higher expense money was the way to go!
At home, my groceries average out to 10.00/day, if I spend 30/day on the road and I get 90, still ahead by 70, remember I have to eat anyway, it's cash in my account and the bills don't care where it comes from!
If you can't see the benefit of tax free expense money over and above what a normal person would spend, I can't argue this further with you.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

mbav8r wrote:Rockie, I think you're just being stubborn at this point, how would reimbursement be ideal?
Because then you will never be out any money just to feed yourself on the road.
mbav8r wrote:If you can't see the benefit of tax free expense money over and above what a normal person would spend,
It's tax free because it is per diem. Now, you might be one of those people who eat like a bird and can save a ton of the money you get for expenses, but not everybody can be like you. Nor does everybody want to be. It's not being stubborn, it's being realistic. Did you know Revenue Canada would have a real problem if they thought your employer was goosing your wages with nontaxable money? That's why it is foolish to expend bargaining capital on anything beyond true realistic per diem, and believe me your employer knows it which is why they don't go down that road.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Because then you will never be out any money just to feed yourself on the road
Ok, sure but what would prevent someone from ordering the most expensive item on the menu every time. If you're out money from eating on the road, you're doing something wrong, perhaps you are going to too many fine dining restaurants.

Now, you might be one of those people who eat like a bird and can save a ton of the money you get for expenses
I can assure you at 280 lbs, I do not eat like a bird. On the road I eat the same as if I'm at home, so to do that I prepare and bring some with me and only eat a restaurant meal once a day, this is not an effort to save money, it's about controlling what's in my food. At home I go to an expensive restaurant once in awhile, so why would I do that on the road. I have a very hard time spending 9.00 on a beer when I know at home I can have the same beer from my fridge for 2.00, so I have water, sure I could order the beer and sometimes I do, but to me I don't enjoy being ripped off so as a consumer, I protest with my wallet. Same reason I won't buy the 20.00 burger and 3 fries from the hotel restaurant, I'll venture out and find a reasonable meal at a reasonable price.
That's why it is foolish to expend bargaining capital on anything beyond true realistic per diem
Which is why I said they set it to the max the CRA allows and the dollar amount is tied to the CRA limit, can't see that being a problem

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

rudder wrote:CRA is now collecting millions in extra taxes in treating airport parking for employees as a taxable benefit. Hard to feel that collecting per diems at or less than the rate of Federal employees is somehow an unjustifiable perquisite of the job.

Perhaps some of the commentators here should try living out of a suitcase 16-18 days per month every month and see how they like it.

Every time I see a per diems thread it inevitably becomes the dumbest thread.

16-18 days out of a suitcase?? I'd say you have a pretty shitty job/contract and/or likely choose to commute. I'd also like to point out that there are many other non airline professions that do this, you know those people in J class that pay all of our wages, and often never have the option to bid single day pairings. It's called a job and lots of them do it for less money and definitely less time off than flight crew. Flight crew have a ridiculous amount of time off and vacation once they make it to Jazz/AC/WJ and hopefully Encore soon too.

I'm embarrassed at how much time off I have compared to my siblings and where my kids have been on vacation compared to their cousins. I don't work any harder than them and my responsibilities aren't any greater than my siblings. I show up reasonably prepared, I don't have to think about what I'm wearing to work each day and I have to be sober.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

The Hammer wrote:
I'm embarrassed at how much time off I have compared to my siblings and where my kids have been on vacation compared to their cousins. I don't work any harder than them and my responsibilities aren't any greater than my siblings. I show up reasonably prepared, I don't have to think about what I'm wearing to work each day and I have to be sober.

Maybe you didn't do enough navajo and 40$ perdiems that would buy you disgusting sandwitches or macdonald.
I don't know for your days off, but some of mine are used to recover from long duty days.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Ypilot wrote:
The Hammer wrote:

Maybe you didn't do enough navajo and 40$ perdiems that would buy you disgusting sandwitches or macdonald.
I don't know for your days off, but some of mine are used to recover from long duty days.
Multi-day pairings in a navajo? I ate just as good on single days I did at my office job. I planned ahead and made a meal. Chicken curry tastes great the next day. Just like when I brought real food in a cooler with me and cooked when I went up north on rotation while my coworkers ate pizza pops from the Northern.

I had 5000 hrs when I went to the airlines, none were in the circuit, and if I didn't land on gravel, ice or water at least once a day it was not a normal day.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I get 50/day per diems when I'm not at home base and it's generally more than enough. The only times it's not enough is when I buy overpriced hotel beer. We make sure we don't pick hotels without breakfast so that helps. Subway on the way to the airport for lunch is cheap. Not to mention I have hundreds of dollars of points at a private name hotel (still very very nice) in a city we stay at quite often that I can spend on food and drinks there. So then my meals become free and the per diem is a nice bonus for the bar on my days off. And I don't work for a 705 or big 704 company.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Cessna 180 wrote:I get 50/day per diems when I'm not at home base and it's generally more than enough. The only times it's not enough is when I buy overpriced hotel beer. We make sure we don't pick hotels without breakfast so that helps. Subway on the way to the airport for lunch is cheap. Not to mention I have hundreds of dollars of points at a private name hotel (still very very nice) in a city we stay at quite often that I can spend on food and drinks there. So then my meals become free and the per diem is a nice bonus for the bar on my days off. And I don't work for a 705 or big 704 company.
Very good, it seems you are getting too much.
You should forward this message to your management, they will be very happy to reduce your perdiem down to 30$.

22 if breakfast is included at the hotel :mrgreen:

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

TG wrote:
Cessna 180 wrote:I get 50/day per diems when I'm not at home base and it's generally more than enough. The only times it's not enough is when I buy overpriced hotel beer. We make sure we don't pick hotels without breakfast so that helps. Subway on the way to the airport for lunch is cheap. Not to mention I have hundreds of dollars of points at a private name hotel (still very very nice) in a city we stay at quite often that I can spend on food and drinks there. So then my meals become free and the per diem is a nice bonus for the bar on my days off. And I don't work for a 705 or big 704 company.
Very good, it seems you are getting too much.
You should forward this message to your management, they will be very happy to reduce your perdiem down to 30$.

22 if breakfast is included at the hotel :mrgreen:
HAHA...

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”