Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Lightspeed Zulu 3 or David Clark One X

#1 Post by CZBBYYZPilot » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 am

Hi everyone,
I'm tired of uncomfortable on the ear headphones that are available in the jet I fly. I'm looking into getting my own headset, an ANR that goes around the ears. I've narrowed it down to DC One X and Zulu3. The DCs are smaller overall and fold up (which is a plus but also a negative, since I might not be able to hang them on the usual spot on the window handle due to the spring force on the folding cups). The Zulus have a more durable Kevlar cable, 7 year warranty vs. 5 year at DC.
Anybody use either of these?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

FADEC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Lightspeed Zulu 3 or David Clark One X

#2 Post by FADEC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Buy the one which is most comfortable! When you wear it all day, that is most important.

I have two Lightspeeds; Zulu and PFX. Bought the Zulu when i was flying an aircraft that was pain threshold noisy with a passive headset. Since worn in a noisy turboprop working all day six days a week; glad I bought it.

Zulu was more comfortable than Bose; made even better with Oregon Aero upgrades.

Bought a PFX to have two ANR's PFX even better than Zulu; I suspect the newest Lightspeed is excellent!

Any minor issue, their support is excellent.

If you can try both on, buy the most comfortable!

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

#3 Post by Canoehead » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 am

The DC won't go over your ear, but it's super light and I tried one out on my last pairing. Very nice and comfortable.
I understand though that it uses lots of battery. My other pair is a Bose X. Love that one. Very easy on battery power, and great cancelling quality and sound. Definitely heavier and I'm happy to het it off my head by the end of a long leg and they are not cheap.
I have no experience with Lightspeed, although those that wear them seem to like them.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

#4 Post by Black_Tusk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 am

If you fly a jet, I would suggest buying the Bose QC25 and the Harmony UFlyMike. It packs into a much smaller package, which is great for packing on overnights. I used my Lightspeeds at first, and while they were great they were a PIA to drag around in their case. The Bose will be much better. I use them on dead heads and they are great. My Lightspeeds seemed to work better on a piston. They don't do well with the wind noise, but not bad overall. I can't comment on DC's but when I was researching them it seemed they are also more geared toward the piston engines and prop planes, not wind noise.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bose-QuietComfort ... =bose+qc25

https://uflymike.com/collections/harmon ... on-package

islandguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

#5 Post by islandguy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 am

I'll second the Bose QC/UFlyMike combo. I use it on the 'bus (some of those older fins are ridiculously loud—as in, louder on the ground with the fans running than others are at TOGA) and so long as you pay close attention to the battery indicator you won't have any issues. They're light, quiet, and comfy—can't ask much else. The biggest issue so far is that most of the guys I fly with insist on taking the uncomfortable company-provided headset off at cruise, and the ANC on the Bose is so good that I have to do the same—and then I get blasted with noise anyways.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

#6 Post by CZBBYYZPilot » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I'm still leaning towards the DC ONE X I think, I'm not that keen on worrying about the whole headset cutting out when the batteries die. The DC is slightly bigger than on the ear headphones, and should be just fine for the plane I'm flying. I just wish the cords were Kevlar.
Cheers.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”