AVCANADA
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/

foreign pilots in 'merika
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115781
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Old fella [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

In my old age and reading/hearing many debates on Canada vs US health care, one thing I can say for certain. None of it is free, we are taxed heavily here but Americans pay(at times quite heavy) out of pocket.

Author:  Cat Driver [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

However if you need medical care in the USA you get it when you need it.

In Canada you have to wait so long by the time you get it it could be to late.

I have been over two years now trying to get a couple of simple eye problems taken care of.

If I knew two years ago what I know now I would have gone across the border and paid cash and had it done properly and when it should have been done.

Canada's health care is a disgrace to any modern society.

Author:  Old fella [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

I used our Medical system in a few Provinces outside of my home spot on a couple of occasions, one issue was quite serious that required a trek to a hospital emergency. I was seen to as quickly as possible and my NS Medicare card was valid no issues. Speaking for myself only of course, system worked great for me and I was quite satisfied.

Author:  Cat Driver [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

there is a big difference between an emergency and needing non emergency treatment.

Also it is inconceivable that any medical system is designed around a eight am to five pm hours of service five days a week.

Author:  dumbbell daddy [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

False.

US Majors hiring foreigners = not gonna happen anytime soon.

I actually emailed the respective HR departments of United, Delta, American and Southwest. Who the hell wouldn't want to be based somewhere down south? Southwest and American actually replied back to me. They said their hiring needs are met with plenty of qualified degree, candidates coming from the military and the regionals.

Shoot me a PM and I will gladly share the emails.

Author:  Old fella [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Cat Driver wrote:
there is a big difference between an emergency and needing non emergency treatment.

Also it is inconceivable that any medical system is designed around a eight am to five pm hours of service five days a week.


Yes, I am aware of that as have family members in the Health Field. Emergency medical services to all CDN citizens no matter what Province is on par with any First World Industrial nation bar none. Elective procedures is another matter no doubt about it and depending on the procedure involved, locations and Hospital staff delays and cancellations are par for the course. Lucky for me I never was subject to that but I have heard of positive and negative experiences. Again I am just speaking for myself and my own experiences. That's all I can speak for.

Author:  Cat Driver [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

The best by far medical service I ever received was in Saudi Arabia, but of course that is not a country.

Author:  Black_Tusk [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Saudi isn't a country? :rolleyes:

Author:  Black_Tusk [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Old fella wrote:
I used our Medical system in a few Provinces outside of my home spot on a couple of occasions, one issue was quite serious that required a trek to a hospital emergency. I was seen to as quickly as possible and my NS Medicare card was valid no issues. Speaking for myself only of course, system worked great for me and I was quite satisfied.



I also had some significant medical issues dealt with quickly and efficiently. In two provinces, with no hassle.

Author:  Diadem [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Cat Driver wrote:
However if you need medical care in the USA you get it when you need it...I would have gone across the border and paid cash and had it done properly and when it should have been done.

That's exactly the problem with the American system: it's great for those with money, and terrible for anyone without. I'd much rather live in a country where I could go get the same level of treatment regardless of my ability to pay than one in which the poor are ignored while the wealthy are moved to the front of the line; I'm well-off now, but if I lost my job I might not be able to pay for medical care. My kids will never have to worry about whether they can go to the hospital, or if doing so will put them into debt, even as broke students. When I'm retired and my savings are dwindling, I won't be forced to stay home and rot until I die.

Quote:
Canada's health care is a disgrace to any modern society.

Why, because we treat everyone fairly? The attitude of "I got mine, jack, so you can go screw" really creates a wonderful society. Move to Saudi Arabia if you're not happy with Canada.

Author:  Cat Driver [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Quote:
Saudi isn't a country? :rolleyes:



Quote:
Saudi Arabia[b] (/ˌsɔːdiː əˈreɪbiə/ (About this sound listen), /ˌsaʊ-/ (About this sound listen)), officially the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA),[c] is an Arab sovereign state in Western Asia constituting the bulk of the Arabian Peninsula.


Saudi Arabia is considered a " Kingdom " by their citizens.

Saudi Arabia is a very difficult place to get a visa to go here.

Author:  Cat Driver [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Quote:
Move to Saudi Arabia if you're not happy with Canada.


No I have no desire to move to Saudi Arabia, however the three times I stayed there was interesting to say the least.

Public headings are not my idea of entertainment.

Author:  complexintentions [ Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Diadem wrote:
That's exactly the problem with the American system: it's great for those with money, and terrible for anyone without. I'd much rather live in a country where I could go get the same level of treatment regardless of my ability to pay than one in which the poor are ignored while the wealthy are moved to the front of the line; I'm well-off now, but if I lost my job I might not be able to pay for medical care. My kids will never have to worry about whether they can go to the hospital, or if doing so will put them into debt, even as broke students. When I'm retired and my savings are dwindling, I won't be forced to stay home and rot until I die.


If you honestly believe the wealthy in Canada receive the same level of treatment as the poor you are woefully deceived. As far as you, your kids (or their kids) not having to "worry about whether they can go to the hospital", well, we'll see, as the system slowly (or perhaps not so slowly) collapses under the weight of an aging population (the vast proportion of healthcare is consumed in the last few years of life). This awesome system may not be around in it's present form by the time you're retired, it's simply not sustainable - no matter how good in principle. Incidentally I fully agree that everyone should have access to basic healthcare. But when there are more retirees and "broke students" than there are people contributing financially to the system, it ain't gonna work. Sorry. Math trumps philosophy, every time.

The latest desperate government attempts to redistribute money from professionals like doctors by changing tax laws won't exactly help, either! lol Stand by for even more shortages of services.

Author:  rudder [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

The difference in standard of living/cost of living in the US vs Canada for those earning over $100k/yr is substantial. Taxation is the largest differentiator. Recall that there are many forms and levels of taxation.

If you work fo an employer with a good health care plan arrangement and decent pension provisions (i.e. anymajor US airline) then you will be living a comfortable lifestyle as a new-hire at $100k and will be well ahead of the curve as income increases ($250k+ as a NB CA).

However, from an overall societal perspective, Canada does a better job of wealth redistribution in order to prevent abject poverty and the associated negative consequences on the overall population.

Author:  Old fella [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Well Rudder, I will take issue with your last paragraph. Canada is not the beacon that shines its light on rest of humanity. We have blemishes and I will start at the Residencial School debacle amongst others. Our moral superiority is a tad disingenuous even when mixed with our many positive attributes and I personally don't get carried away amongst comparisons to the US of A.

Author:  av8ts [ Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

.

Attachments:
IMG_3512.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG [ 119 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC-07:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/