Air Transat YOW

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Transat YOW

Post by The Tenth Man »

I too am a fan of posts that are evidence of an effort to uncover the facts. Well done, Gilles.
---------- ADS -----------

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

That's excellent Gilles!
I am sure that facts won't get in the way of the usual mouth-breathers vilifying TS for this incident, but I learned lots from reading this.
As usual I'm smarter after you've put in the work for me.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Ten were able to turn around between 1:51 and 2:47.
Thus all violated the Tariff as well.
Eight were on the ground over 3 hours:
AFR356 03:13
ROU1651 03:35
KLM671 03:46
TSC711 04:47
TSC445 04:40
TSC507 04:47
ACA318 05:06
TSC157 05:51
You quote a 90 minute tariff for the reason for the violation - but off gate it's listed as 4 hours in AT's published Tariff... maybe I'm misunderstanding it though.
... If the delay exceeds 90 minutes while at the gate, or 4 hours in the event of a Tarmac delay, the Carrier must allow the passengers to deplane...
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Legal- ... nd-tariffs

AC's Tariff is similar but not exact... there is no "90 minute rule"... There is a "4 hour rule".

5 were on the ground over 4 hours.

4 TS
1 AC

It looks like AC318 was the only one apart from Transat over 4 hours and you seem somewhat unsure on it. It was a domestic flight, maybe the did deplane...

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

altiplano wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:02 pm
Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Ten were able to turn around between 1:51 and 2:47.
Thus all violated the Tariff as well.
Eight were on the ground over 3 hours:
AFR356 03:13
ROU1651 03:35
KLM671 03:46
TSC711 04:47
TSC445 04:40
TSC507 04:47
ACA318 05:06
TSC157 05:51
You quote a 90 minute tariff for the reason for the violation - but off gate it's listed as 4 hours in AT's published Tariff... maybe I'm misunderstanding it though.
... If the delay exceeds 90 minutes while at the gate, or 4 hours in the event of a Tarmac delay, the Carrier must allow the passengers to deplane...
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Legal- ... nd-tariffs

AC's Tariff is similar but not exact... there is no "90 minute rule"... There is a "4 hour rule".

5 were on the ground over 4 hours.

4 TS
1 AC

It looks like AC318 was the only one apart from Transat over 4 hours and you seem somewhat unsure on it. It was a domestic flight, maybe the did deplane...

As consequence of this incident, the CTA found the Tariffs unreasonable and airlines were asked to modify them. What you are looking at (4 hours) is the new version, not the one that existed at the time.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2017-194

[8] Based on the Agency’s finding that elements of Rules 5.2d) and 21.3c) of the Tariff are unreasonable, the Agency orders Air Transat to revise these Rules and all corresponding rules of its other international tariffs so that the existing text in respect of food and water distribution and disembarking with the commander’s permission after 90 minutes is supplemented with the terms and conditions that incorporate the provisions of Air Transat’s Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays at US Airports (Revised April 2016). Those terms and conditions create a positive obligation to disembark passengers if a tarmac delay reaches four hours – unless there are safety, security, or air traffic control issues that prevent it – and require that during the delay, the carrier provide passengers with updates every 30 minutes, working lavatories, and medical assistance if needed. These amendments are to be filed with the Agency as soon as possible, and no later than February 27, 2018.

Air Canada 318 did not deplane. One of the the CYOW Airport authority witnesses said so during the hearings. He did not however state the reason for the very long time on the ground.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”