Air Transat YOW

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The lessons to be learned

Post by rookiepilot »

Deleted. See what the report says, if anything.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Transat YOW

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

I'm starting to suspect that Rookiepilot is a handle used by the YOW duty manager on July 31. :D

If that is the case, he is fighting to keep his job......

If you notice later that this post was deleted, you will know it's because I received a request to take it down, or a Mod took it down, meaning a confirmation....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Hey rookiepilot it appears to me you believe the Canadian airline industry isn't up to snuff(perhaps some festering rot)as compared to International operations and you cite your business credentials and International travel as the basis of your musings. Fine and fair enough and I have no doubt your business acumen speaks for itself. I have no idea of the type of business enterprise you are into nor your academic curriculum vitae( undergrad B.Comm and/or graduate MBA Executive MBA). You have aviation qualifications as a CPL single engine pilot IFR rated so it brings me to my point.

Make your mark and seek employment with any of our major carriers at the executive level to steer them in the right direction. I can imagine AC/WJ/AT et al and their affiliates are always head hunting for talent to add to their ranks especially with expansion, fleet acquisitions, foray into LCC etc., etc.

Never know you just may be the person to lead the way into the new reality and could even get your picture on the cover of the " Businessman Rolling Stone". Go for it

:goodman:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Deleted.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

rookiepilot wrote:
Old fella wrote:Hey rookiepilot it appears to me you believe the Canadian airline industry isn't up to snuff(perhaps some festering rot)as compared to International operations and you cite your business credentials and International travel as the basis of your musings. Fine and fair enough and I have no doubt your business acumen speaks for itself. I have no idea of the type of business enterprise you are into nor your academic curriculum vitae( undergrad B.Comm and/or graduate MBA Executive MBA). You have aviation qualifications as a CPL single engine pilot IFR rated so it brings me to my point.

Make your mark and seek employment with any of our major carriers at the executive level to steer them in the right direction. I can imagine AC/WJ/AT et al and their affiliates are always head hunting for talent to add to their ranks especially with expansion, fleet acquisitions, foray into LCC etc., etc.

Never know you just may be the person to lead the way into the new reality and could even get your picture on the cover of the " Businessman Rolling Stone". Go for it

:goodman:
Not a chance. :shock:

And FWIW I didn't finish college. Ran out of $$$. My school is the school of hard knocks. :mrgreen:

An MBA is about as useful as toilet paper in my industry.
Self made,huh. Nothing wrong there and I give you A for honesty. I hear you about College, it was wine.women,weed and rock and roll that got me initially, but I did see the light later in life and accomplished that task, it was a personal accomplishment to me and that is all it matters.

Last edited by Old fella on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Deleted.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

You're wasting your time Gilles, not the truth or a logical explanation on why the crews and company opted to stick to plan A, just like everyone else that day, will make sense to some of these posters.

In the mean time another airline in Canada had 2 lengthy delays this past week and not much noise about it in the media and no hearings scheduled about it as far as I know.

You're all entitled to your opinions but it doesn't mean that you're right or that you have a clue what you're talking about.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

rookiepilot wrote:OF;

For me it was choosing to keep going to college or eating. I like eating more. I wish I would have finished but was out on my own at 18 so tough choices. c'est la vie.

Suppose I'm rather direct cause haven't met too many of the pampered snowflakes who've done the same. Most have a problem with hard work.

A savvy business person with no formal education recognizes the benefit of formal education at least that is what I see of those I do know. Perhaps in your particular industry an MBA may be considered ass wipe but with large multi million operations like the airline transportation industry with logistics and infrastructure, whiz kid higher learning is considered greenbacks and no doubt, essential. Perhaps you may wish to check your bias at the door as I believe you are a lot smarter than such commentary.

By your leave.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Edit - Double post

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

And, Deleted. Quite done with this thread., thank you --

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

Quoting the rookiepilot:

"I know nothing about crew and commercial aircraft ops. By contrast few of you know much about running a business."

I know and was acquainted with an AC pilot B777 who has a Civil Engineering degree and an MBA who runs his own successful Aviation Consulting firm on the side and does quite well. There are no doubt countless examples of successful business oriented airline pilots who run enterprises on the side and are very good at it. You need to climb down off your high horse.......

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rookiepilot wrote:And, Deleted. Quite done with this thread., thank you --
No, thank you!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Quick question about this.
Then instead of being parked, they were moved around from point to point with engines running in order to clear the way for other departing and arriving aircraft. YOW ramps are uncontrolled, so these were not ATC requests. Rumor has it they shut down engines several times and had to crank em back up, because local authorities asked them repeatedly to move to accommodate other aircraft.
What would be the result/ramifications to, "Uhhh, did you say, you want us to reposition? Unable, without fuel." ?

Sorry, just curious.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

An Air France A380 had a catastrophic engine failure and diverted to Goose Bay with 497 passengers. The passengers were not allowed to disembark by the local authorities.

The passengers were kept on the aircraft with the crew until two relief aircraft arrived to pick up them up.

The passengers were then transferred directly from the stricken A380 to the two relief aircraft and flown to their original destination, Los Angeles, with both relief aircraft making subsequent intermediate stops before reaching LAX.

The A380 had landed in Goose Bay at 1117 local time on Saturday. One relief aircraft, a B737, took off for Winnipeg at 0117 AM Sunday morning, and the second one, a B777, took off for Atlanta at 0655 AM, on Sunday as well.

What would the AvCanada experts have done ?

"Call it a day" after a certain number of hours ?
Pull a slide ?
Call 911 ?
Or may be call on the Canadian military since this was at RCAF base ?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:An Air France A380 had a catastrophic engine failure and diverted to Goose Bay with 497 passengers. The passengers were not allowed to disembark by the local authorities.

The passengers were kept on the aircraft with the crew until two relief aircraft arrived to pick up them up.

The passengers were then transferred directly from the stricken A380 to the two relief aircraft and flown to their original destination, Los Angeles, with both relief aircraft making subsequent intermediate stops before reaching LAX.

The A380 had landed in Goose Bay at 1117 local time on Saturday. One relief aircraft, a B737, took off for Winnipeg at 0117 AM Sunday morning, and the second one, a B777, took off for Atlanta at 0655 AM, on Sunday as well.

What would the AvCanada experts have done ?

"Call it a day" after a certain number of hours ?
Pull a slide ?
Call 911 ?
Or may be call on the Canadian military since this was at RCAF base ?
I have a big bowl of popcorn on my lap, impatiently waiting for an expert to chime in.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

I'm sorry, is the question you're asking which airline gives less of a s~it about its passengers needs?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I wonder if they managed to keep the passengers reasonably informed of the length of the delay, hydrated, and fed.

Come to that, I wonder if they even managed to keep the lights on and the AC running. Just managing that would have put them ahead of the competition.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

That 380 was still 6+ hours from destination so I'll say they had enough fuel to keep the APU running and plenty of catering left. If you're going to take digs to answer digs then put in more effort!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You know, it's hardly polite to invite digs, and then complain about their quality :-)

I'd be mad at AF too, for keeping me on board that length of time, too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote:You know, it's hardly polite to invite digs, and then complain about their quality :-)
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”