Air Transat A310 Panic in the cockpit YouTUBE

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

forafriend
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Transat A310 Panic in the cockpit YouTUBE

Post by forafriend »

So, I was recently told a crazy story about this flight.

Apparently it landed in Quebec City after a charter from somewhere in Europe. It was then to reposition to YUL empty after offloading all pax in Quebec city. The plane was obviously very light, the Captain was on line indoctrination, The weather at the time was not great, contaminated runway. Trainer was having a hard time with his headset, it kept coming out of the jacks.

Crew briefed a non derated contaminated runway take-off for the specified Sid, On taxi out, the trainers headset came out of the plug several times. They line up, and blast off, as they are rolling down the runway, trainers headset falls out of jack again, he calls V1,Vr, rotate but Left seater doesn't hear him, tired he barrels on down the runway until realizing shit I better rotate, he pitches for the V bars, which are going to the moon due to the overspeed and empty plane....A310 is also a rocket ship empty......PF notices this and throws on the AP.......as the plane is shooting for the stars, PF starts to help the plane pitch down by adding pressure on the control column (AP is still on) the AP senses this pressure and starts to increase nose up trim, until it runs out of trim.......at this point the AP clicks off......PF is now handed a fully trimmed nose up plane with full power. He starts to panic, and starts aggressively pushing forward and adding forward trim, it takes a little bit, enough for the altitude to reach over 10 000 ft.......he was unaware of how much trim was added and now the jet is in a runaway dive straight back down towards the city.......he aggressively pulls back on the controls, and adds a shitload of nose up trim and once the jet rounds out she starts shooting for the moon again......this cycle apparently happened 3-4 times before the crew regained control and made the remainder of the 20 min hop to YUL safely.

Anyone else have anything to add to this??
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Transat A310 Panic in the cockpit YouTUBE

Post by Sharklasers »

It'd be cooler if it was on youtube

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

forafriend wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am So, I was recently told a crazy story about this flight.

Apparently it landed in Quebec City after a charter from somewhere in Europe. It was then to reposition to YUL empty after offloading all pax in Quebec city. The plane was obviously very light, the Captain was on line indoctrination, The weather at the time was not great, contaminated runway. Trainer was having a hard time with his headset, it kept coming out of the jacks.

Crew briefed a non derated contaminated runway take-off for the specified Sid, On taxi out, the trainers headset came out of the plug several times. They line up, and blast off, as they are rolling down the runway, trainers headset falls out of jack again, he calls V1,Vr, rotate but Left seater doesn't hear him, tired he barrels on down the runway until realizing shit I better rotate, he pitches for the V bars, which are going to the moon due to the overspeed and empty plane....A310 is also a rocket ship empty......PF notices this and throws on the AP.......as the plane is shooting for the stars, PF starts to help the plane pitch down by adding pressure on the control column (AP is still on) the AP senses this pressure and starts to increase nose up trim, until it runs out of trim.......at this point the AP clicks off......PF is now handed a fully trimmed nose up plane with full power. He starts to panic, and starts aggressively pushing forward and adding forward trim, it takes a little bit, enough for the altitude to reach over 10 000 ft.......he was unaware of how much trim was added and now the jet is in a runaway dive straight back down towards the city.......he aggressively pulls back on the controls, and adds a shitload of nose up trim and once the jet rounds out she starts shooting for the moon again......this cycle apparently happened 3-4 times before the crew regained control and made the remainder of the 20 min hop to YUL safely.

Three posts so far and three too many.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
forafriend
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by forafriend »

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

This actually happened back in 2008. Never heard of it until now.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... 8q0051.asp

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

forafriend wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am ..A310 is also a rocket ship empty......PF notices this and throws on the AP.......as the plane is shooting for the stars, PF starts to help the plane pitch down by adding pressure on the control column (AP is still on) the AP senses this pressure and starts to increase nose up trim, until it runs out of trim.......at this point the AP clicks off......PF is now handed a fully trimmed nose up plane with full power. He starts to panic, and starts aggressively pushing forward and adding forward trim, it takes a little bit, enough for the altitude to reach over 10 000 ft.......he was unaware of how much trim was added and now the jet is in a runaway dive straight back down towards the city.......he aggressively pulls back on the controls, and adds a shitload of nose up trim and once the jet rounds out she starts shooting for the moon again......this cycle apparently happened 3-4 times ......

Yes I remember those stories, for you are merging two stories here. You begin with an Air Transat story in Quebec, but then your description of the events match another event from another airline, this one......which was an Interflug A310 in Moscow in 1991.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3q4fEtBw7Y

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

FurHat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am This actually happened back in 2008. Never heard of it until now.

I think you need to read the tsb report. The russian incident appears to be a completely separate ''occurrence''. Mind boggling indeed.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

confusedalot wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:45 pm
FurHat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am This actually happened back in 2008. Never heard of it until now.

I think you need to read the tsb report. The russian incident appears to be a completely separate ''occurrence''. Mind boggling indeed.
I did read the report. My post was in reference to the Air Transat incident in the Youtube video posted immediately prior and referenced in the title of this thread. Noting to do with the Interflug incident. Thanks for the scolding though...

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sorry the post was not directed at you FurHat, it was directed to the poster after you. Seems to me that the tsb report was scary enough to read, without invoking possible A310 incidents from 1991 that occurred in russia

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”