GFT/EVAS Air Sponsoring Foreign Pilots from India and Mexico

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

GFT/EVAS Air Sponsoring Foreign Pilots from India and Mexico

#1 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm

What's going on here? Can't afford to pay fair wages to Canadian pilots? Rather import them from Mexico and India???
EVAS is a tier 3 carrier for Air Canada, operating as Air Canada Express, by the way!!!

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by CdnPilotsalary on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

flapflap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Canadian airline/FTO sponsoring foreign pilots

#2 Post by flapflap » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 pm

"No experience required" :roll:

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 6
Rank 6

#3 Post by CL-Skadoo! » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm

The race has been won with this one. Where did you find this?

confusedalot
Rank 7
Rank 7

#4 Post by confusedalot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 pm

this.. is.. sad..

spent 36 years and now retired due to circumstance, (just ok money, no real big money) and now this....all under the air canada banner. very sad.....

so now we are in a situation where some make enviable money, and, others that make close to minimum salary. Looks like Canada is home to the ultra rich and the ultra poor.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 4
Rank 4

#5 Post by mantogasrsrwy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I think he managed to hook three of you with one cast.

confusedalot
Rank 7
Rank 7

#6 Post by confusedalot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Was thinking about that. Hope the OP does not get into legal trouble with EVAS if that is the case.....It's gonna hurt big time in a defamation suit.

confusedalot
Rank 7
Rank 7

#7 Post by confusedalot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Hello mr RCMP, I did what? well, ummm........

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

#8 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 pm

confusedalot wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 pm
Was thinking about that. Hope the OP does not get into legal trouble with EVAS if that is the case.....It's gonna hurt big time in a defamation suit.

This is directly from their Facebook page!!! Publicly accessible by anyone ...
https://www.facebook.com/WorkforEVASAir ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/WorkforEVASAir ... =3&theater

EDIT: In case they try to remove them, I took screenshots as well:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/7yvuHWl ... hidBFA.png
https://image.prntscr.com/image/rySPMDV ... sC40-A.png

Last edited by CdnPilotsalary on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

#9 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 am

confusedalot wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm
Hello mr RCMP, I did what? well, ummm........
I only wish that I was trolling. That I created these poorly generated advertisements out of jest. But, unfortunately, this is as real as ever. Sad ...

melomoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: GFT/EVAS Air Sponsoring Foreign Pilots from India and Mexico

#10 Post by melomoon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 am

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. Is this legal?

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 4
Rank 4

#11 Post by mantogasrsrwy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 am

I had a quick look at the FB page initially and didn't spot them. I stand corrected. I guess it all depends on whether Zoolander allows it.

Inverted2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#12 Post by Inverted2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

"No experience required" Are you sure these ads are legit and not made up by someone with an ax to grind?

Rank 3
Rank 3

#13 Post by 7507 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am

Seriously guys is this real or not?

ant_321
Rank 4
Rank 4

#14 Post by ant_321 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 am

Yes they are real. The no experience necessary part is probably actually more of what they're looking for. Pay $50k to GFT to get your licenses, work as a rampie for a while, then sign a training bond to work at EVAS. There have already been several foreigners who came to Canada to go to GFT and stayed, eventually getting on with EVAS, all before this "program" was put in place. I saw it as more about trying to fill the flight school with foreign students.

Rank 3
Rank 3

#15 Post by 7507 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 am

ant_321 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 am
Yes they are real. The no experience necessary part is probably actually more of what they're looking for. Pay $50k to GFT to get your licenses, work as a rampie for a while, then sign a training bond to work at EVAS. There have already been several foreigners who came to Canada to go to GFT and stayed, eventually getting on with EVAS, all before this "program" was put in place. I saw it as more about trying to fill the flight school with foreign students.
u

We are past the point of no return, what a sad situation.

Mach1
Rank 6
Rank 6

#16 Post by Mach1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:04 am

I find it interesting.

In other nations of the world, if there is a pilot shortage the airlines bring in foreign pilots and pay them a premium so they can keep the air planes flying.

In Canada, when faced with a pilot shortage the airlines bring in foreign pilots to avoid having to pay premium wages to the existing pool of pilots to keep the air planes flying.

I am in no way against ExPat workers, as Canada supplies many of them around the world to other countries, but I find it interesting how they are used very differently in our nation compared to other nations. Other nations bring in high priced, high experienced talent and we bring in low priced, low talent people. The government of Canada is complicit in keeping wages and working conditions sub par in this nation.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 4
Rank 4

#17 Post by mantogasrsrwy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:10 am

I think ant_321 has it. It's more about filling the school than filling 1900s.

Rank 3
Rank 3

#18 Post by 7507 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am

mantogasrsrwy wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:10 am
It makes total sense! !

2ndGenAviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

#19 Post by 2ndGenAviator » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Looks like they tried to hire locals as well with another add. But I'm guessing there wasn't enough interest.

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

#20 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:31 pm

mantogasrsrwy wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:10 am
If this is the case, then why does the Mexico ad ask for CPL already completed?

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

#21 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm

2ndGenAviator wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 pm
Looks like they tried to hire locals as well with another add. But I'm guessing there wasn't enough interest.
Then why does the most recent local ad ask for 750 TT and AAs written, when the foreign ad exclaims "no experience required"?
I'm sure there would be hundreds of wet CPLs ready to relocate to Gander at a moment's notice for the opportunity to go straight into a B1900D!!!

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 2#p1021722
First Officer Position

EVAS Air operates a fleet of Beech 1900D aircrafts throughout Atlantic Canada to carry out its operations as an Air Canada Express scheduled service as well as cargo, charter, and medevac operations. EVAS Air is very excited to be seeking interested pilots for First Officer positions flying our Beech 1900D aircraft. These new full time positions are available at the Gander Base.

Qualifications and Requirements:
• Valid Medical Certificate
• Minimum 750 Hours total flight time (lower hours may be considered based on experience)
• ATPL Exams written and passed

• Able to obtain Transport Canada Security Clearance
• Legally entitled to work in Canada and hold a valid passport
• No Accidents / Incidents / Violations in last 3 years
• Team oriented with exceptional customer service skills
• Self-reliance, the ability to work under pressure and a solid work ethic, with a strong professional commitment to safety;
• Willing to relocate
Closing Date: December 22,2017

EVAS Air offers a competitive salary, Employee Air Canada Travel Passes, Company contributed RRSP plan, and complete medical/dental benefits package.
If you are interested in a First Officer position, submit your resume with three References and cover letter to employment@evasair.com, please quote” 1900D First Officer Position” in subject. Thank you to everyone expressing an interest in joining our EVAS Air team. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

daedalusx
Rank 3
Rank 3

#22 Post by daedalusx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Can't decide which is my favorite part ...

Is it when everyone thought it was so obscene that it must have been photoshopped by an ex-disgruntled employee ... just to find out it's a repost from their official facebook page ?

Or ... is it the no experience required ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

confusedalot
Rank 7
Rank 7

#23 Post by confusedalot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 pm

ah yess...good old air canada using feeder airlines such as evas and skyregional to pull in money to mothercorp and make the shareholders, and the mainline employees, happy with big financial payoffs.

I know montreal to new york, and toronto to new york, for example, costs 1000 bucks to a traveler round trip, and gues what, the cheapest contractor, skyregional, does the job. Profits go to air canada. I suspect that a ticket from Saint John to Halifax probably costs the same. And in the same consequence, profits go to air canada.

You can cross an ocean for about the same price on mainline or rouge.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. If in fact this pilot recruitment stuff about Indians and Mexicans is true, I would suggest that a concerted lobbying effort be raised and get this country back on the rails and give employment preference to canadians. I do not believe for a second that evas cannot find qualified candidates within canada (even if they are low time), I do believe however that they are fraudulently playing the system and using the canadian government weaknesses to furter their own pocketbooks.

Enough already, a north american can in no way get a job in europe without a hell of alot of qualifications, including either a right to work or outright citizenship, a canadian can't even get a job in the US unless he or she also has the right to work there........

You can't get a job in India unless you have time on type and current within the last 6 months......

This country is pretty sad when you take a step back and see how it is managed...

JBI
Rank 7
Rank 7

#24 Post by JBI » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Let's not let the facts or law get in the way of a good xenophobic internet rant. Perhaps a slight amount of investigation into immigration laws in Canada (and the US) would have been more appropriate before we get 23 comments on "race to the bottom" "sad" and "how bad the government is" etc etc. The title is incorrect - I do not believe that there is "sponsoring" of student visas other than that an educational institution has to declare that the student is indeed a student at their facility.

In Canada, and in the US to a lesser extent, people from other countries are permitted to enter the country to study at various different educational institutions (international students often have to pay higher tuition fees). Included in these educational institutions are flight schools. Now, included in getting a student visa is a limited right to work part-time while studying and also the right to work in a very restricted capacity after graduation. In Canada, this specifically includes working as a flight instructor after graduating from an approved Canadian Flight Training unit. While this has been the law for quite some time, considering how difficult it is at the moment for many different flight schools to get instructors to stay, I would argue that this is a good policy.

Once a student completes their education and are legally remaining in Canada and working, they then begin accruing time for their permanent residency status. I'll be honest, I don't know the specifics as things have recently changed and i didn't practice immigration law. However, it's not an instantaneous thing (I do think that this policy is different than in the US where only persons working on certain visas are eligible for permanent residency).

So, a flight training school, like the one listed in this ad, it perfectly entitled to recruit international students to come train at their school and then have them work at their flight training unit after they are finished. I know a number of schools in BC that do this as well. The difference is that the school in this ad also owns a regional airline. In theory, it would be easier for them to hire someone from their flight school. Thing is, they could very easily hire someone from another flight school who has done the exact same thing - come to the country legally - trained to be a pilot, then legally worked as a flight instructor until they obtain their permanent residency.

Other than some creative advertising, this isn't a short cut (arguably a person would have to be a flight instructor for longer than regular market forces would permit until they get their permanent residency and then can fly a 1900), isn't illegal, isn't a "race to the bottom", isn't a sponsorship scheme and isn't the gov't trying to keep wages low. So, if a CPL from Mexico wants to move to Gander to be a flight instructor for a few years so they can get permanent residency status to then fly on a 1900, all the power to them.

confusedalot
Rank 7
Rank 7

#25 Post by confusedalot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 pm

In my young years, I would have LOVED to be offered training in another country AND a shot at the big times. KLM anyone? Go to Holland, do your training, get a shot a KLM. Sounds nice, doesn't it? You sure as hell can bet that it would never happen unless you have the papers to work in Holland.

Over here, expat student gets a shot at the big times and the rest of the aviation population goes and works at tim hortons.

Explain the justification to me please.

Explainable if you need direct entries, NOT explainable when ANY cpl with a twin IFR could do the job. There are TONS of cpls with twin ifr's

This country is so screwed up that they will throw their young under the bus and let everyone else into the country and jump the queue. EVAS needs only to hire the cpl twins ifr types, lots of them around. I suspect that they are not applying for close to minimum wage jobs. Fast forward and back to KLM, the situation would never happen there. Sit and think, how many close to minimum wage airplane pilots are there in Holland?

Spent my life busting my butt and being told I never had ''enough'', only to witness low, or no, time, foreigners climb up the food chain faster than the guy in sioux lookout with all of the qualifications to do the same job than any newcomer can easily do..

I must be old...no, I am old.....I can't believe what is going on!

The Holland thing is just an analogy, nothing more. Here in Canada, race to the bottom still prevails.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”