GFT/EVAS Air Sponsoring Foreign Pilots from India and Mexico

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: GFT/EVAS Air Sponsoring Foreign Pilots from India and Mexico

Post by CdnPilotsalary »

2ndGenAviator wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 pm Looks like they tried to hire locals as well with another add. But I'm guessing there wasn't enough interest.
Then why does the most recent local ad ask for 750 TT and AAs written, when the foreign ad exclaims "no experience required"?
I'm sure there would be hundreds of wet CPLs ready to relocate to Gander at a moment's notice for the opportunity to go straight into a B1900D!!!

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 2#p1021722
First Officer Position

EVAS Air operates a fleet of Beech 1900D aircrafts throughout Atlantic Canada to carry out its operations as an Air Canada Express scheduled service as well as cargo, charter, and medevac operations. EVAS Air is very excited to be seeking interested pilots for First Officer positions flying our Beech 1900D aircraft. These new full time positions are available at the Gander Base.

Qualifications and Requirements:
• Valid Medical Certificate
• Minimum 750 Hours total flight time (lower hours may be considered based on experience)
• ATPL Exams written and passed

• Able to obtain Transport Canada Security Clearance
• Legally entitled to work in Canada and hold a valid passport
• No Accidents / Incidents / Violations in last 3 years
• Team oriented with exceptional customer service skills
• Self-reliance, the ability to work under pressure and a solid work ethic, with a strong professional commitment to safety;
• Willing to relocate
Closing Date: December 22,2017

EVAS Air offers a competitive salary, Employee Air Canada Travel Passes, Company contributed RRSP plan, and complete medical/dental benefits package.
If you are interested in a First Officer position, submit your resume with three References and cover letter to employment@evasair.com, please quote” 1900D First Officer Position” in subject. Thank you to everyone expressing an interest in joining our EVAS Air team. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Can't decide which is my favorite part ...

Is it when everyone thought it was so obscene that it must have been photoshopped by an ex-disgruntled employee ... just to find out it's a repost from their official facebook page ?

Or ... is it the no experience required ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

ah yess...good old air canada using feeder airlines such as evas and skyregional to pull in money to mothercorp and make the shareholders, and the mainline employees, happy with big financial payoffs.

I know montreal to new york, and toronto to new york, for example, costs 1000 bucks to a traveler round trip, and gues what, the cheapest contractor, skyregional, does the job. Profits go to air canada. I suspect that a ticket from Saint John to Halifax probably costs the same. And in the same consequence, profits go to air canada.

You can cross an ocean for about the same price on mainline or rouge.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. If in fact this pilot recruitment stuff about Indians and Mexicans is true, I would suggest that a concerted lobbying effort be raised and get this country back on the rails and give employment preference to canadians. I do not believe for a second that evas cannot find qualified candidates within canada (even if they are low time), I do believe however that they are fraudulently playing the system and using the canadian government weaknesses to furter their own pocketbooks.

Enough already, a north american can in no way get a job in europe without a hell of alot of qualifications, including either a right to work or outright citizenship, a canadian can't even get a job in the US unless he or she also has the right to work there........

You can't get a job in India unless you have time on type and current within the last 6 months......

This country is pretty sad when you take a step back and see how it is managed...

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Let's not let the facts or law get in the way of a good xenophobic internet rant. Perhaps a slight amount of investigation into immigration laws in Canada (and the US) would have been more appropriate before we get 23 comments on "race to the bottom" "sad" and "how bad the government is" etc etc. The title is incorrect - I do not believe that there is "sponsoring" of student visas other than that an educational institution has to declare that the student is indeed a student at their facility.

In Canada, and in the US to a lesser extent, people from other countries are permitted to enter the country to study at various different educational institutions (international students often have to pay higher tuition fees). Included in these educational institutions are flight schools. Now, included in getting a student visa is a limited right to work part-time while studying and also the right to work in a very restricted capacity after graduation. In Canada, this specifically includes working as a flight instructor after graduating from an approved Canadian Flight Training unit. While this has been the law for quite some time, considering how difficult it is at the moment for many different flight schools to get instructors to stay, I would argue that this is a good policy.

Once a student completes their education and are legally remaining in Canada and working, they then begin accruing time for their permanent residency status. I'll be honest, I don't know the specifics as things have recently changed and i didn't practice immigration law. However, it's not an instantaneous thing (I do think that this policy is different than in the US where only persons working on certain visas are eligible for permanent residency).

So, a flight training school, like the one listed in this ad, it perfectly entitled to recruit international students to come train at their school and then have them work at their flight training unit after they are finished. I know a number of schools in BC that do this as well. The difference is that the school in this ad also owns a regional airline. In theory, it would be easier for them to hire someone from their flight school. Thing is, they could very easily hire someone from another flight school who has done the exact same thing - come to the country legally - trained to be a pilot, then legally worked as a flight instructor until they obtain their permanent residency.

Other than some creative advertising, this isn't a short cut (arguably a person would have to be a flight instructor for longer than regular market forces would permit until they get their permanent residency and then can fly a 1900), isn't illegal, isn't a "race to the bottom", isn't a sponsorship scheme and isn't the gov't trying to keep wages low. So, if a CPL from Mexico wants to move to Gander to be a flight instructor for a few years so they can get permanent residency status to then fly on a 1900, all the power to them.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

In my young years, I would have LOVED to be offered training in another country AND a shot at the big times. KLM anyone? Go to Holland, do your training, get a shot a KLM. Sounds nice, doesn't it? You sure as hell can bet that it would never happen unless you have the papers to work in Holland.

Over here, expat student gets a shot at the big times and the rest of the aviation population goes and works at tim hortons.

Explain the justification to me please.

Explainable if you need direct entries, NOT explainable when ANY cpl with a twin IFR could do the job. There are TONS of cpls with twin ifr's

This country is so screwed up that they will throw their young under the bus and let everyone else into the country and jump the queue. EVAS needs only to hire the cpl twins ifr types, lots of them around. I suspect that they are not applying for close to minimum wage jobs. Fast forward and back to KLM, the situation would never happen there. Sit and think, how many close to minimum wage airplane pilots are there in Holland?

Spent my life busting my butt and being told I never had ''enough'', only to witness low, or no, time, foreigners climb up the food chain faster than the guy in sioux lookout with all of the qualifications to do the same job than any newcomer can easily do..

I must be old...no, I am old.....I can't believe what is going on!

The Holland thing is just an analogy, nothing more. Here in Canada, race to the bottom still prevails.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

confusedalot wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 pm Over here, expat student gets a shot at the big times and the rest of the aviation population goes and works at tim hortons.

Explain the justification to me please.

Spent my life busting my butt and being told I never had ''enough'', only to witness low, or no, time, foreigners climb up the food chain faster than the guy in sioux lookout with all of the qualifications to do the same job than any newcomer can easily do..
No one is 'jumping the queue". The only thing these international students get is a "shot" at getting a Flight Instructor job AFTER training at a school in Canada (or getting their instructor rating there). Your rock stars working at Tim Hortons in Sioux Lookout have the same and/or better opportunity to go work as a Flight Instructor in Gander for a bit and then get on the 1900. I would put money on the fact that if a Canadian went to Gander, did their flight instructor rating there and then decided they wanted to instruct for a while and then move to the right seat of the 1900, as long as they were able to read and understand a 5 paragraph post written in English, they would have no problem getting that job. Race to the bottom indeed :roll:

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I guess i embellish things when I see injustice, so I will try again.

Would you see such programs in the EU. Nope, need the passport, period. Then get your licence.

Would you see such programs in the USA. Same story, right to work in the country is a requirement. You can get the licence beforehand.

Now , all of you, tell me what the situation is in Canada? i thought so, keep that thought and run with it.

I find it sad indeed.

Hey, I would work part time as an instructor in Plattsburgh for my retirement years, only a 45 minute drive from Montreal......You can bet that is NEVER going to happen, because, rightfully so, the US protects US jobs and there is no way the state would permit me to take an
Americans job.

And what does canada permit??? With a bunch of qualified home grown personnel available?

I leave it to the jury to decide.......

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:57 pm I guess i embellish things when I see injustice, so I will try again.

Hey, I would work part time as an instructor in Plattsburgh for my retirement years, only a 45 minute drive from Montreal......You can bet that is NEVER going to happen, because, rightfully so, the US protects US jobs and there is no way the state would permit me to take an
Americans job.

And what does canada permit??? With a bunch of qualified home grown personnel available?
Fair Enough. You are correct, Canada does have different immigration policies than the US and Europe and that's always worth a good debate :) . My point is that although GFT/EVAS's ad targets those international students who want to be airline pilots, it doesn't actually offer a leg up over Canadian students or for that matter, over any other flight training school.

Of note though, if you did go to school in the US, you would be permitted to work in limited circumstances while in school and for a limited time after you were done. The difference is that in Canada, there are special provisions for flight instructors (not pilots in general) to remain in Canada. Not so in the US.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I am glad you see it, I don't feel so alone anymore. The common viewpoint from any canadian who has been an expat is that canada lets their young perish,(aviation seems to be at third world standards) whilst other nations actually protect their newborn who get into the business. There is just no way that a foreigner will get a job in mexico, europe, and the US just to name a few (assuming no passport or family relations)

As a former expat, I needed to have VERY specific and unavailable quals to to have the right to work in the country I worked in.

Here in this country, who cares?

Once again, my KLM analogy; 250 hours and Dutch citizenship gets you into the right seat of a worldwide carrier, with all of the career progression you could dream of. Canada does not get it.

Anyway, from and old and retired driver, someone has got to wake up and smell the coffee......

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're just looking for guys with some turban experience.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

complexintentions wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 am I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're just looking for guys with some turban experience.
He he he... :lol: this is canada.........

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

complexintentions wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 am I don't see what all the fuss is about. They're just looking for guys with some turban experience.
Interesting fact, only 2% of Indians are Sikhs and actually wear turbans. However, 100% of internet posters who use the term "snowflake" are actually just ignorant a-holes.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Meh. Actually not that interesting. Triggered sad humourless posters, far more so. And that's MISTER Ignorant A-Hole, to you, my fragile little snowflake! :mrgreen:

confusedalot is absolutely correct, Canada is a complete sellout when it comes to jobs, resources, housing, you name it. The best description someone here gave of Canada is that it's like a rented house a bunch of university students share. Everyone's from somewhere else and no one gives a shit about the place, just uses it for awhile for what they need it for.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

Did anyone else see that an chap from India needed a degree but the Mexican just needs a cpl?

Still hard to believe EVAS just won't pony up pay people what they need to pay them to do the job. Same can be said for a lot of companies in Canada. The amount of time I have run into foreign passport holders on ramps in Canada is crazy. A lot doing the bottom barrel jobs for shite companies that refuse to pay pilots and or bond the shit out of them. It's win win for them at the end of the day. Either they go home and are respected and well paid flying a jet or they get residency that leads to citizenship. To them the ends justify the means. We on the other hand already live here and the places we can go be expats are the places people are trying to leave to come to Canada. I also feel that some people that do the expat thing when they return it's bottom of the barrel for you.

There is no shortage of pilots. Just a shortage of jobs that have a Quality of Life and Reasonable Pay. I'm okay with people coming here but not at the cost of jobs or safety. For the tree huggers out there that bleed for everyone that does not live in Canada, take the front door off of your house. Don't really screen anyone who comes in, pay for their food, transport and the cost to keep them in the house, heat hydro. Next when they do not respect your rules and traditions too bad for you because that's not the way they do things.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

I went to flying school at Interlake Aviation in Gimili, MB back in the late 80's. Almost all the instructors at the time were Norwegian. The school did a big marketing campaign in Europe and it worked. Nothing has changed. Worst thing was, back then you couldn't buy a job.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

The fact that almost all of the instructors were Norwegian tells me that suitably qualified Canadians did not want to work in Gimli. :oops: Especially in the late eighties, were advancement was almost non existent. So they accepted some sort of special visas?

This whole thread is enlightening yet very disturbing..As I said before, there is no way you would get a job in Europe, Mexico unless you have the right to work there. You will need very specific qualifications to work in India or forget it.

And here in Canada, what do we do? I'll leave that as an open question.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

I thought we wanted more Norwegians to immigrate here?

Oh wait no...that's the US. :mrgreen:

But seriously...why would anyone emigrate from Norway to Canada, let alone GIMLI?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

When we go Expat, we go to be paid as much as or more than the locals because we are being compensated for bringing a higher skill level to the table. This is being done to avoid raising the rate of pay needed to retain the local talent.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”