Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

uogla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Australia hiring foreign pilots

Post by uogla »

Hello,

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/ ... s-shortage

Probably looking for expirence pilots with only 2 year visa. Interesting though, I wonder if the US will do somethibg different, like raising wage.

Will this affect Canadian pilots?

Thoughts, comment, confession?

Happy new year!
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Australia hiring foreign pilots

Post by Victory »

Interesting they admit their problem is their pilots being poached by foreign airlines but their solution is to poach other country's pilots instead of raising wages.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Probably 2 year contacts to go fly an ATR into the outback..

They aren't looking to attract experienced career oriented people to join Qantas or Virgin I don't think.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Too bad. I’d love to fly a 717 for QantasLink

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I looked at it. It's a permanent visa application independent of sponsorship from a specific company. There is a restriction on living outside of a major city though. You're prohibited from living in just about any major city.
Cost of application was horrendous though. It was something like $9000 for my family.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

uogla wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 pm Hello,

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/ ... s-shortage

Probably looking for expirence pilots with only 2 year visa. Interesting though, I wonder if the US will do somethibg different, like raising wage.

Will this affect Canadian pilots?

Thoughts, comment, confession?

Happy new year!

Luckily in the US the pilot population and unions are strong enough that foreign pilots won't be happening, after all it's hard to try to sell that with the strongest pilot population on earth.

As far as how places the Australia get away with hiring cheap foreign labor vs raising to proper wages, well here's a video, it's not Australia, but governments all work the same. Just a matter of the airlines paying off the right government workers, and the government workers thinking they can get away with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNA0-GBuunc

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I worked for ''the government'' for five years and although I hated the toxic work environment, the is NO WAY that you can show any sort of favoritism to anybody. You will eventually end up in a world of hurt if you do.

No, the Australian thing is perhaps more like Canada in the sense, again as a former employee, that, they just do not have a clue about the real world. It's an insulated and overly complicated system that is about as efficient as a 19th century steam engine......

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Just being a low level government worker isn't exactly the same thing.

And if you don't think government is pay to play, no only did you not watch the video I posted, but you're highly naive

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

You are talking about the political class. Not the rank and file operational government, senior managers and all. Nope, sorry to disappoint, not naive.

The work permit stuff is decided by the rank and file, not the moneybags politicos playing the election game and such.

I listened to the posted video and have understood the attempts at currying political favor......has nothing to do with the Australian issue. You don't just sign in laws because ''you feel like it'', the system does not work that way. Australia is not a totalitarian regime that can disregard their version of the house of commons and the senate. So if you are espousing that every single member of parliament and senate is actually and actively espousing low pilot pay just like canada did with the chinese railway workers in the 19th century, well, you just keep believing that.

As sad as it sounds, I say it again, the ''error'' lies within the public service, as stated before, an out of touch an inefficient machine. Here in this country, I read a Hpost where a guy got his IFR paid by unemplpyment insurance.........bureaucratic deviation. The system was not meant to do that and if it were, how come canada did not pay for my IFR when I was unemployed?

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Oh I agree, the smaller fish are more likley just incompetent than corrupt.

But the higher ups, if you don't think they serve themselves and their interests before the peasents, you don't know as much about government as you think, or you just have such a nice heart that you don't see it for what it is.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Hey don't get me wrong, the powerbrokers sure are a bunch of sharks to my mind. Just saying that they tend to be disinterested in the little stuff (like pedestrian employment issues)

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

I have some information after speaking with someone about all of this. I've looked into it in great detail.
Permanent visa application
Hired to one of the regional carriers; QantasLink or Virgin Australia Regional.
The $9000 Visa fee will be paid by one of the regional airlines - that's how desperate they are right now.
Salaries for a Q400 Captain at Qantas Link are up to $175,000 - that's a full $100k more than Encore and Jazz pay.
Once you have the initial visa, you are not restricted to the regionals or stuck living in a suburb of a major city. Wait a couple of years and apply to Qantas if you like. They also pay pretty decent starting wages.

This isn't an application for some low level, crap paying job in the middle of the outback. No Canada Goose required.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Whats the starting pay?
I assume they are hiring DECs?

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

Yes, DEC's. Particularly looking for anyone with training, or checking backgrounds. If you were a sim instructor or a line indoc captain, you've got it made.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Anyone know how pilot bases are determined, and how easy it is to move around? Because living on the coast with all the surfing and diving would be a hell of a lot different than living in dry, inland Australia.

Also, do you think that after the 2 year visa expires they would just boot you back to Canada where you’d be back at ground zero for seniority?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

He said permanent visa

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

My understanding is that they are offering permanent residency like we do here. Once your foot is in the door, you are free to apply for citizenship (Australia supports dual citizenship as long as you stay out of elected government positions), or continue to extend residency indefinitely, live where you want, apply to any other company you want to work for etc.

Most of Australia's population is along the coast. Look at all of their major cities. That's where you could be based.

Working for QantasLink or Virgin Regional is your foot in the door. Stay there long enough to have a work history in Australia and you can go where you want next.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Did they say anything about hours required? Is this only for DEC positions, or would they take FOs as well?

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Victory wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:43 pm Interesting they admit their problem is their pilots being poached by foreign airlines but their solution is to poach other country's pilots instead of raising wages.
Comical reply, considering regional starting pay in Australia is on average twice that of North America... :roll:

willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

FishermanIvan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm Did they say anything about hours required? Is this only for DEC positions, or would they take FOs as well?
I'm looking into this for a friend of mine. When I get the answer, I'll let you know. I think that they are getting desperate if they are paying for the visa application fees. I would guess that if you've got a couple of years in this industry in Canada, they would likely take a look at you.
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm Whats the starting pay?
I assume they are hiring DECs?
I think the pay starts in the high $140's and goes to $175 k if you are in training or checking. I'm also trying to get more details here. Either way, it's more than double Jazz or Encore. If you're into line indoc or sim instruction, you're making Canadian 737 Captain wages.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”