Cockroaches?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Cockroaches?

Post by SuperchargedRS »

So I've noticed in a few recent posts that many Canadian pilots seem to be eager to flee Canada for "greener pastures", such as the US where pilots refuse to work for crap pay, maybe instead of being a importable cheap labor, might it be a better idea to just fix the industry in Canada instead of being scabs?

I mean if you don't take the low paying jobs, the companies will ether raise the pay or shut it the frack down, ether way its a win.

Just a thought
---------- ADS -----------

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Cockroaches?

Post by confusedalot »

In the same line of thinking, I suspect that it goes beyond the airplane business....

Pay seems to be substandard in any field you work in here in canadastan.

The US has always been a draw for everyone; I saw a building contractor on TV pull up his stakes and moved everything, including his family, to Vegas.

This country is was it is.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

The quality of life for a regional pilot has changed dramatically in the US due to supply and demand in the last 3 years. The more Canadian pilots they absorb the closer we get to the tipping point where no one will work for shitte wages. Alll boats are raised in a rising tide.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

By going to the US for a higher paying job you are not taking the low paying job. Same thing.

You have dual citizenship, and all the license requirements. There are 2 offers on the table $38,000cad from Jazz and $60,000usd from Envoy. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer. I'd hardly call that being a scab.

https://www.envoyair.com/pilots/

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Or you could try to fix your own country instead of screwing with another country.

Go fly corporate or something till the Canadian airlines get their chit together, that's what many American ATPs are doing.

Besides its kinda a mute point as no one is getting a visa to work for a airline over here, especially with how many qualified pilots are in the US.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 pm So I've noticed in a few recent posts that many Canadian pilots seem to be eager to flee Canada for "greener pastures", such as the US where pilots refuse to work for crap pay, maybe instead of being a importable cheap labor, might it be a better idea to just fix the industry in Canada instead of being scabs?

I mean if you don't take the low paying jobs, the companies will ether raise the pay or shut it the frack down, ether way its a win.

Just a thought
Do you see the contradiction? If pilots are refusing to work for crap pay, which by the way is a newish development, the US regional was the original “race to the bottom”, how could a Canadian pilot working for the current conditions be considered to be cheap labour?
Also, do you feel Canadian pilots who choose to going to China or wherever a scab? Them leaving for greener pastures will have the same effect as turning down crap pay here

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Honestly you just sound jealous that you can't/won't go overseas and make 2-4x what you would in Canada.
Experienced pilots leaving for more money is the best thing that can happen for the Canadian airline industry in terms of pilot wage increases.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am Or you could try to fix your own country instead of screwing with another country.

Go fly corporate or something till the Canadian airlines get their chit together, that's what many American ATPs are doing.
And what would happen if all airline pilots started applying for corporate jobs do you think? :roll:
Or do you mean that all junior airline pilots should apply for corporate jobs, so the senior guys can keep their cushy high paying jobs?

Here's another possible solution: have the union agree to a flat pay for all captains/fos. Calculate what the average pilot makes at the company, and pay everyone that. Problem solved, no more low paying jobs! After all, you are all doing the same job, so getting the same pay would only be fair...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I'm not sure I see the solution. I assume most of us don't have dual citizenship and can't go to 'merica. So, what you're proposing is that people stay at their $55k 1900 jobs vs going to say WS or AC? Both airlines are a sacrifice for the first 4 years but have pay scales that eventually go higher. Both AC and WS are behind the curve internationally and should be paying more. Full stop.

Everyone has their own line in the sand and should have the right to decide whether the compensation and benefits of moving to a new company work for them or not. If someone decides not to go to a company because the compensation sucks, that's a win. So is going to a company and then effing off for China with 500 PIC on type. Both send a similar message. Neither decision makes another pilot a cockroach or a scab in my mind.

I wish this world and the decisions in it were as black and white as some people espouse on here.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

You don’t just go fly CORPORATE that’s not how it works.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Only thing I'm loyal to is my family.

Leave Canada if in my best interests? In any career?

Bye. Later. See ya. :mrgreen:

Oh -- edit.

The real scabs are the gutless mouthpieces telling everyone to "take a stand" while they watch from the sidelines......lead by example

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 pm So I've noticed in a few recent posts that many Canadian pilots seem to be eager to flee Canada for "greener pastures", such as the US where pilots refuse to work for crap pay, maybe instead of being a importable cheap labor, might it be a better idea to just fix the industry in Canada instead of being scabs?

Just a thought
How drunk were you when you posted this garbage?

Is it a cockroach or a scab that leaves for greener pastures?

How do you intend to fix the Canadian industry?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am Or you could try to fix your own country instead of screwing with another country.

Besides its kinda a mute point as no one is getting a visa to work for a airline over here, especially with how many qualified pilots are in the US.
Like said above:
-You just don’t go fly corporate.
-Going overseas or in the States (anywhere would require a right to work) is kind of implying that you don’t accept Canadian’s poor wages.

Then you are absolutely right by saying you should fix your own country first.
Canada is a big culprit in that department towards third world countries by accepting skilled worker from there as migrants. The kind of people that would be way more valuable in their own countries but are fleeing instead of trying to fix it.

But that’s another topic.

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

I will add nothing to this conversation except that the term is "a moot point" not "a mute point". May you have the happiest of New Years and god rest ye merry gentlemen.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I hate myself a little more and more every day when I see that I "willingly" work for under 40K a year. It's like that crack addict that knows what he's doing is wrong but can't stop... I don't know what I'm waiting for... maybe that PIC job that will eventually come and I can make a bit more.

Das ist mir wurst...
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Let's make a deal since you obviously have a good high paying job. I will stop accepting low paying jobs and sit at home all day if you agree to pay my bills and send me a check for the same amount that my low paying job was providing.
Or even better go get me a job where I can make more money and I will be happy to show my company the middle finger.
Until you pay my bills or get me an offer to a better job that is adequate to my needs you have no F&&^ saying on what I do or don't do with my life.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

nightbird wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm Let's make a deal since you obviously have a good high paying job. I will stop accepting low paying jobs and sit at home all day if you agree to pay my bills and send me a check for the same amount that my low paying job was providing.
Or even better go get me a job where I can make more money and I will be happy to show my company the middle finger.
Until you pay my bills or get me an offer to a better job that is adequate to my needs you have no F&&^ saying on what I do or don't do with my life.
Best answer on AVCANADA! Ever!

Das ist mir wurst...
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

This is a troll post for sure..

Fix your own country instead of screwing with another country? First, leaving your country creates the shortage of work that will affect the demand of skilled pilots thus increasing pay *ahem* in theory. However bottom feeder airlines are applying and being granted government exemptions to foreign labor, ie; Evas, and previously, Sunwing.

A big problem now is that the undercutting in Canada isn't being done by Canadian pilots anymore, foreign workers who are willing to work for ridiculously low wages are accepting positions just to live in Canada.

I wish I could jump ship to the US and work, however an airline pilot isn't a career deemed acceptable for a work visa, yet. I commend the US government for keeping such a tight ship though. The only entity feeling the pressure are the airlines themselves, which are paying top dollar and have guaranteed flow to mainline carriers.

We just have to sit and wait for the government to do their part here.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I think a few people have the right idea, by fleeing for greener pastures, causes an immediate decrease in available pilots, which will eventually cause the markets to adjust.

By staying and accepting the low pay jobs because companies are unwilling to negotiate outside of the union means that we are validating their shitty pay.

If you have taken notice, most jobs that are non unionized are payed on a more competitive scale as they are able to adjust more fluidly to market demand. Specifically referencing corporate operators across the country.

Sorry supercharged, you're barking up the wrong tree bud.

S.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

nightbird wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm Let's make a deal since you obviously have a good high paying job. I will stop accepting low paying jobs and sit at home all day if you agree to pay my bills and send me a check for the same amount that my low paying job was providing.

Yes I do

BUT, since I'm not a commie, a socalist or your mommie I won't pay for your lunch, your house or hold your hand.

You need to be a man and do these things for yourself.
FL007 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 pm

This is a troll post for sure..

Fix your own country instead of screwing with another country? First, leaving your country creates the shortage of work that will affect the demand of skilled pilots thus increasing pay *ahem* in theory. However bottom feeder airlines are applying and being granted government exemptions to foreign labor, ie; Evas, and previously, Sunwing.

A big problem now is that the undercutting in Canada isn't being done by Canadian pilots anymore, foreign workers who are willing to work for ridiculously low wages are accepting positions just to live in Canada.

I wish I could jump ship to the US and work, however an airline pilot isn't a career deemed acceptable for a work visa, yet. I commend the US government for keeping such a tight ship though. The only entity feeling the pressure are the airlines themselves, which are paying top dollar and have guaranteed flow to mainline carriers.

We just have to sit and wait for the government to do their part here.

It's not the government, it's the people, the people control the government.

If a company hired a foreign pilot and all the other line pilots called in sick for 3 days straight, that's something.

Or took shifts protesting in front of the immigration office for a week or two.

And going to another country that doesn't have a strong pilot population is one thing, which is fine.

Going to somewhere like the US which has the biggest pilot population on earth and taking jobs that US pilots are not taking because of low pay, that's more or less being a scab.

Last edited by SuperchargedRS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”