TSC- Airline Pathway 0 to 5 years

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- Airline Pathway 0 to 5 years

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

You are considering a career in aviation. You were inspired by a family member who flew or a spoke to pilot on one of your flights as a kid. Soon it's time to apply to college/university and you are thinking of choosing a career that's different from all your friends. You look up at the sky and see a plane and think I'm going to do THAT for the rest of my life. I know you may even have some self doubt as to whether you can pull it off or even afford a flying education. And even if you did all that, would you ever get a job flying big airplanes and make your family proud.

Well let me help you.

What you need is a strategy. Think of it like a GPS, without one you would be driving aimlessly and get lost. These are the proven strategies to work. But, before you move on you must be willing to ignore the naysayers, the people that convince you otherwise (some maybe on this very forum). Alright let's begin.

Complete your basic training first at a flying club, college or university. The important thing is to take it one step at a time. If you worry about a process too far ahead you will cause yourself frustration. The trick is to celebrate each step of the way and move on to the next to stay motivated.

Year 0-2:
Flight Instruct and build 1000 hours flight time. To speed the timeline further I'd suggest getting your instructor rating prior to graduating.

Year 2-3: Work at the 703/704 operation flying small turbo-prop aircraft that usually seat up to 19 people and build another 500 hours flight time. This brings you to 1500 hours which is the Airline Transport Pilot Licence mark. Now your application will be seen by larger operators.

Year 3-5: Work for a regional airline flying medium size turbo-props/jets that usually seat up to 50 people and build an additional 1500 hours. This brings you to a total of 3000 hours total time and have your entrance ticket to a mainline airline. While working for the regionals you would have started an application with the major carriers and possibly even a flow through agreement.

Year 5: Work for a Mainline Carrier flying big jet aircraft that usually seat 100 or passengers. Making more money than your previous flying jobs and flying much safer aircraft.

That's it. Now let me tell you that some will say that this is too simplistic of an advise. The truth is that it is exactly what it should be. A simple roadmap with a lot of work in between. You will find that at each step of the way if you stop and enjoy the view out your window it really does make it fun. If at any step during the above phases you feel discouraged and wonder when you will get to move on. Take a step back and remember all the things you are grateful for. The human brain is a 20,000 year old device. It is looking for ways to constantly find something wrong. That worked well when we were cavemen as it kept us safe from predators. But, doesn't help in the modern world where we literally are living in the best times of any generation ever.

Put the blinders on, Get your time in, Focus on your goals daily. The view is really something from the top.
---------- ADS -----------

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

JHR - sounds simple

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Simple enough. Thanks for the advice

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: TSC- Airline Pathway 0 to 5 years

Post by '97 Tercel »

Year 6: Fortune and glory, son....fortune and glory

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

“get a job flying big airplanes and make your family proud.”

And God help you if, through no fault of your own,you don’t get the mainline job and your family end up ashamed of you as a regional pilot

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

hithere wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 am “get a job flying big airplanes and make your family proud.”

And God help you if, through no fault of your own,you don’t get the mainline job and your family end up ashamed of you as a regional pilot
hithere I see where you're coming from. You've applied and didn't get in, maybe through no fault of your own, but due to a university degree requirement at the the majors as a way of just reducing the large number of applications they get. Luck also plays a small factor, very small, but it does help. That being said I also think it's important to evaluate and pass judgement on the whole story rather than nitpick one line like the media ofter does. Anything taken out of context can even make Gandhi look bad. I can offer you more proof in a private message. This is just me, but when I read someone's post and understand the intent behind it, it makes it acceptable. The original post has been written to help and encourage new comers in aviation. That is the target audience, it will 100% relate to them. But, it may not relate to you. So, perhaps justmove on and see if you can find another one on here that helps you brother.

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:46 am
hithere wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 am “get a job flying big airplanes and make your family proud.”

hithere I see where you're coming from. You've applied and didn't get in,...
I find these branded TSC posts facintating.

First the brand. Self absorbed and full of confidence, TSC brands posts. The aim is to catch your eye and instil the immediate notion that something profound is to be announced.

Second, the ignorance. TSC speaks as if now is the greatest time for a motivated young pilot to achieve their greatest goals in the smallest amount of time, like he did. In reality, that was 10 years ago. Back in 2007, the quickest AC career path for a University grad was to instruct for 1-2 yrs then 703/704 for 2-4 years, then AC. You could make it in 4-6 years and have a DB pension and formula pay after two years.

Third, the thin skin. If you fault any of his statements, you will immediately be degraded as an obvious AC reject who is now doomed to be a substandard regional pilot. Far below the grace of TSC.

Finally, the name. The Social Chameleon. Brilliant. Someone who adapts to every social situation. A skill carefully crafted through a lifetime of observing human social behaviour. Charming and charismatic, TSC is everyones friend and can relate to anyone. Upon meeting TSC, you connect as if you have know each other for years.

They have a term for people who show this pattern of behaviour. They're called Psychopaths.

Fascinating behaviour.

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Not so much a psychopath as probably a 22 year old basement dweller with too much free time and an inflated ego.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

This guy is the Jordan Peterson of AvCanada. Get him a YouTube channel and a Patreon account!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

My career progression looked nothing like this.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 am My career progression looked nothing like this.
Than apparently you did it wrong, loser :goodman:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 am
Eric Janson wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 am My career progression looked nothing like this.
Obviously - although in my defense this was before Internet. I didn't have "TSC" to guide me.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:52 am
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 am
Obviously - although in my defense this was before Internet. I didn't have "TSC" to guide me.
You are forgiven then

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

yep, simple as pie.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”