Guess we know who couldn't afford $700/yr
---------- ADS -----------

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: American Express (Premium Plaza) Lounge will now require a boarding pass

Post by Impact »

Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am
Good to see they shut down this scam. It was an embarrassment, and frankly, I question the character of those who took advantage of it.
The scam that people had multiple secondary cards that were never actually getting used for purchases or just the fact that flight crew were using the lounge period?
Both, but mostly the latter.

Although I don't claim to know the exact marketing strategy behind the cards benefits, I think we can all agree that it was never intended to be a quasi-crewroom with meals. Common sense and an inkling of character would make this fairly clear. (not to mention it's in the fine print, apparently)

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

If you were arguing against the supplementary card usage then I'd agree with you. I paid full price and had one card though I respectfully disagree with you calling into question the character of anyone who used the lounges. How a business wants to conduct themselves is their choice. They could've enforced the boarding pass policy from the get go but they were happy to have our business until AMEX said enough. I see no issue with going in and having a bite to eat a couple times a month. How is that any different from a frequent business traveller at which the service is marketed to?

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am .....I see no issue with going in and having a bite to eat a couple times a month. How is that any different from a frequent business traveller at which the service is marketed to?
I think you've answered your own question. It wasn't marketed as a "crew lounge". It was marketed as a business traveller perk. Had AMEX thought they could've made money on the concept of crew lounges, I'm pretty sure they would have opened one in each major airport in North America by now. But alas...they haven't.

The concept that everyone knew this cardholder perkwas being abused, complaining about how it is now changing, and even suggesting that there will now be people out there abusing the standby travel policies just to gain to a hugely discounted meal, only reinforces my opinion that we are no longer professionals.

Question for you. Are you a commuter who travelled standby when you were accessing the lounge?

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Impact wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 am
Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am .....I see no issue with going in and having a bite to eat a couple times a month. How is that any different from a frequent business traveller at which the service is marketed to?
I think you've answered your own question. It wasn't marketed as a "crew lounge". It was marketed as a business traveller perk. Had AMEX thought they could've made money on the concept of crew lounges, I'm pretty sure they would have opened one in each major airport in North America by now. But alas...they haven't.

The concept that everyone knew this cardholder perkwas being abused, complaining about how it is now changing, and even suggesting that there will now be people out there abusing the standby travel policies just to gain to a hugely discounted meal, only reinforces my opinion that we are no longer professionals.

Question for you. Are you a commuter who travelled standby when you were accessing the lounge?
What someone is wearing while they're there is irrelevant to me. A cardholder is a cardholder. I had long breaks in between flights while at home base, several hours long, so it made sense to spend some time there.

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

What a joke. Typical cheap pilots.........

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

When the ads for this card came up, I read the fine print and it said "Must have a valid boarding pass" so I didn't bother looking any further into it. Now Amex has figured out that the terms they published and everyone agreed to aren't being followed, and insist this ends. I don't see how that would make them a bad company.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Most likely this would never have happened if crew members purchased the $699 card instead of trying to screw the system by buying the supp cards. Apparently there were even cases where the primary holder was making profit on the supp cards by selling the for up to $250. So in the end it came down to the sheer volume of aircrew in the lounges. Additionally many aircrew were using the lounge as a free lunch bag fill up even though it was strictly against the rules to consume food outside the lounge. Over the past 6 months I often counted upwards of 40 crew in the lounge at one time. In many cases congregating together and being very loud to the point were I even left a few times because it was annoying. I would hazard to guess that the majority were using supp cards.
Sad to see this happen after paying full dues for the past 5 years.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I for one commute long distance with long layovers for connecting flights. Whether in uniform or not, or if I pay $1000 or $10 for my ticket, I pay for the card and expect the benefits associated with that purchase. No employee pass travel? Why? Is someone travelling on Expedia or Swoop/ULCC also gonna be banned just cause they pay a low fare?? Heck with all the taxes and airport fees I pay, it's pretty much the same price in the end anyway! I do agree with the bad professionalism displayed by a select few who frequent the lounges. I for one have always worn a light jacket over my uniform anyway to mask my flight-crewness lol. I don't however agree with the crews going in every hour, five times a day to grab a snack like it's a cafeteria or grocery store. A shame really, cause now the odd 4hour break mid-duty is gonna be brutal without being able to sit for a coffee thanks to the abusers!

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

All this said maybe the airlines and airport authorities could do something for flight crew. I guess the airlines don’t want to pay more rent than they have to but if you are not at a base often times you have no where to relax when the airline schedule you for a 3 hour sit. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, where do ya go if you don’t have a crew room? If you don’t use the lounge in YWG I guess you hide by the Starbucks. Regional pilots often times sit as much time in airports as they spend flying, an unfortunate reality. I can see why jazz sky encore and Georgian pilots would take advantage of Amex.

Also places like Calgary U.S. side when you’re flight delays a couple hours, do they even have any chairs? They make that place unbearable as a passenger never mind flight crew. Haha being sarcastic of course but really no where to hide so I can see the lure to the lounge pass as flight crew. I think the lounges are going to miss out on a tonne of revenue now that crew won’t be going.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Called to cancelled just in time for the 699$ to be refunded. Too bad because I was using it 90% for the coffee ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

ahramin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm When the ads for this card came up, I read the fine print and it said "Must have a valid boarding pass" so I didn't bother looking any further into it. Now Amex has figured out that the terms they published and everyone agreed to aren't being followed, and insist this ends. I don't see how that would make them a bad company.
This is key. They clearly state that you must have a valid boarding pass to access the lounge. Not come in between flights to hangout, curse, yell, argue with others etc.

If you have a boarding card, fill your boots and use it (It does not state stby will not be honoured).

Everytime you use your card, AMEX gets a bill to offset the cost. If you are accessing it against the policies, what do you think will happen. Especially when crews are taking alcohol (yes I watched this happen), food, starting arguments, etc.

I was actually expecting this to happen loooong ago.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

av8ts wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am There is no restriction on accessing the PriorityPass lounges with a standby boarding pass. That restriction only applies to the airline lounges that your Amex card allows you entry into.
#10 under the terms and conditions.....

"Airline, airport and and other travel industry employees traveling on reduced rate tickets may not be eligible for access!"

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Blue42 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 pm
#10 under the terms and conditions.....

"Airline, airport and and other travel industry employees traveling on reduced rate tickets may not be eligible for access!"
Not “shall”.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Kinda funny that the top-ranked topic of discussion is about how the ability to scam some shitty free food is now becoming less possible...

Viva l'Aviation Canadienne! :mrgreen:

Go Czech Republic!

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 am Kinda funny that the top-ranked topic of discussion is about how the ability to scam some shitty free food is now becoming less possible...

Go Czech Republic!
Exactly!! Pack a lunch! Or get off your wallet and buy a coffee.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 am Kinda funny that the top-ranked topic of discussion is about how the ability to scam some shitty free food is now becoming less possible...
Yeah, kinda funny!

I wonder if its because we are some of, if not the lowest paid airline pilots in the "first world" ?
Actually, I'd wager that we have the lowest [take-home income] / [cost of living] ratio out there.

Kinda sad, is what it is...

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Go Czech Republic!

+1

We take sub-par salaries and benefits in one of the best times to be a pilot in decades in this country, with LCC pilots south of the border out classing us and we accept it. Yet we worry about a 700$ card devided amongst 5-10 cheap pilots (myself included).

The worst part is, they are just enforcing rules that we all signed when we got the card. To be honest I only used it when I flown as a passenger, it was just embarrassing watching uniformed crews (front and back) going at it with the buffet. Still is a great perk as a passenger especially when you are travelling with the wife.

Says something about our profession in this country doesn’t it?

boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

The food at best was mediocre. I was bringing in my own food especially in YYC. I was using the lounge for quiet time as the terminal was too noisy especially with the WJ announcements telling me this was a good time to go the f-ing washroom. Mind you there were a more than a few times when the younger demographic of air crew were rather lot.

Once again due to abuse another amenity is lost. I’m sure Amex will miss the amount I charge on my card.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Hey wanna go to the lounge I’ll buy ya lunch?

Ya that was always a hard pass for me, glad it’s over. Food sucks, and you’re a complete interloper. Awkward all around.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”