Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Novato
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are there any Diabetic’s on here?

Post by Novato »

Hi

I’ve just been diagnosed as Type 2. Thankfully TC allows diabetics in two crew ops and I will be starting the hoop jumping.

I was wondering if any one on here is flying with type 2, if you could pm your experiences.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Are there any Diabetic’s on here?

Post by GATRKGA »

I don't have Type 2, but here's what I found for you on the TC website regarding Type 2 and your medical

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-2331.htm

The general summary talks about the concern for incapacitation due to reduced blood sugars "hypoglycemia" be it from usage of Type 2 Drugs or Insulin shots aimed to reduce the excessive sugar in your blood, or the opposite spectrum, where you don't have enough insulin to prevent Hyperglycemia which eventually results in another form of shock. And for this, a trial period is required to show stability before you can likely fly. But it shouldn't be long and disability should cover it from work.

The third concern is organ damage by the looks of the guidance. As excessive sugars for a long period of time will start impacting the organs. So what does this mean? Start working on a plan to reduce your sugars so you can enjoy a long healthy life as opposed to one where it ends in limbs getting amputated.

Plenty of type 2 diabetics flying around with Category 1 medicals, I would imagine if you just got diagnosed that you're fine and will be able to maintain your medical.

On a personal note, Type 2 diabetes is reversible contrary to popular belief. What's happened is likely one or more of the following scenarios. You've put a strain on your body through:
- ingesting foods which constantly spiked your insulin over the matter of years, and over time your insulin has become less effective in dealing with glucose, causing it to remain in your blood. They call this reduced insulin sensitivity. You want insulin to be sensitive so that it works at its optimal performance.
- high levels of stress, driven up your cortisol levels, and wreaked havoc in your metabolic process which usually relates to gut health, kidney health, liver health, and all the other damage associated with health your health, where type 2 is the beginning sign of a drastic change required in your mental dealings with stress/anxiety.
- becoming deficient in critical nutrients/minerals responsible for the process of insulin production, its quality, cell receptors and communicators responsible for the entire process of insulin coming in and grabbing the sugar for insertion into your cells.

This is a must watch video for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1AOtMEA-Yg

Then watch all the videos he has linked at the bottom of his video by clicking "show more" ... talks great depth about the importance of mineral and nutrient efficiency for the process of insulin/glucose to work properly. Often times people simply have become deficient in the critical components responsible for the relationship between glucose/insulin. These minerals and nutrients include Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin D, Zinc, and Chromium. Zinc believe it or is responsible for the sharpness and quality of your insulin. Having reduced zinc in your system will give your insulin the same effect as old oil in an engine. Unfortunately all the western medicine doctor does is throws a pill at you to reduce blood sugar, without fixing the root cause. Demand blood work looking at all of your minerals and nutrients in the blood work, and go through it with a comprehensive plan of action to fix the issues. Consider a doctor that works in functional medicine, not western.

From an exercise point of view: stick with weight training. Weight training depletes an energy storage in your muscles called glycogen. Glycogen is sugar the body has stored for emergency use when you don't give it any energy in the form of nutrition, to prevent your brain from shutting down. When you exercise, the body has to use the glycogen stores in your muscles because of the strenuous work you're placing on the muscles. When this depletion happens, the glycogen storage has to be replenished still because your body is designed to fill the glycogen when it's low. Where will it rob this sugar source from? Your blood. Provided you don't eat in such fashion to spike your blood sugars, you will find weight training in addition to a clean diet will reverse type 2 diabetes due to the science of how glycogen gets used, and replenished alone. Add the corrective plan of fixing your deficient nutrient/mineral situation, and you will be attacking the root problem as opposed to throwing a pill at it.

It's a lifestyle change for sure, but one that keeps you flying :) Always feel free to ask questions about this kind of stuff. I've done a ton of research on this, and have helped number of people reverse type 2. I'm no one special. Just done a lot of research and found a method that seems to work well for several immediate people in my life.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

:up:

Great post! Thanks for all the information you posted here.

Novato
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Novato »

GATRKGA,

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it. I’m sure with lifestyle changes we’ll get thru this.

Novato

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Type 2 is a challenge at first but even if you do end up on meds , if not already there, you can get your license thru lifestyle changes. Where I work we have a few with Type 2 and we aren't a big entity like AC/WJ

AC even offered me a job with Type 2 after some extra prodding and poking and a family history that has Type 1 in it as adult onset.

Novato
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Novato »

Thanks The Hammer

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”