Which company would you prefer to fly the B1900 at?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Which B1900 perator would you prefer most and why?

CMA
6%
Georgian
15%
PASCO
36%
North Cariboo
5%
Sunwest
11%
Skylink
6%
EVAS
2%
Wasaya
9%
Westwind
7%
North-Wright
2%

Total votes: 111

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Which company would you prefer to fly the B1900 at?

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

The current industry has been moving fast, and most of you have probably moved on to one of the regionals. Those of you in the 2000-5000 hour range that DON'T want to go to Encore or Jazz but still want to move on to something else, which B1900 operator would you elect as your next move for DEC and why? I am curious to all your thoughts, complaints and reasons.

List the positives and negatives, and if you are able to, the bottom and top end of all pay scales from each company since they don't solicit these values anywhere. Also, what benefits do they have to offer and what are long term career prospects like. PM me if you have to-I will not post it publicly in I get a PM.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Which company would you prefer to fly the B1900 at?

Post by flyinhigh »

Oh my, people voted for Georgian and EVAS :roll:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Georgian 1900? Many of their flights seem to be cancelled lately when I check the departures boards at T1. The GGN fan club members here must have voted them up. :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 am Georgian 1900? Many of their flights seem to be cancelled lately when I check the departures boards at T1. The GGN fan club members here must have voted them up. :wink:

Not pro or con GGN specifically but I am pro Express. And lets call a spade a spade The Beech outperformed the Dash dash classic fleet in 2017 and GGN outperformed Jazz in 2017 as well in every operational stat so lets not be overdramatic even though you can never resist a GGN jab.

I would also say any of the 100 or so pilots that are going to AC this year from GGN cold be voting.

"On March 5th, the new Air Canada Pilot Mobility Arrangement (PMA) portal went live. This is exciting news for Air Georgian pilots and aspiring Canadian commercial pilots. The amendments provide candidates with a clearer understanding of the qualities Air Canada seeks and offers more transparency and efficiency to the application process.

The PMA guarantees all Air Georgian pilots with an Air Canada interview. In 2018 alone, Air Canada has committed to hiring nearly 100 pilots from Air Georgian through the PMA."

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

How does West Wind have three votes? They don't even have an OC.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm How does West Wind have three votes? They don't even have an OC.
Perfect! Getting paid to sit at home, the ideal job.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

The answer to this poll is PASCO, but the real answer should be Air Canada OTS or PML, Westjet Mainline, Air Transat, Sunwing, Sky Regional, Morningstar, or the like.

Why move sideways to DEC or move backwards to Encore/Jazz FO when you can move forward?

The 704 operator is officially on the endangered species list. The 1900 is getting old and tired and there aren’t any replacements for it. 1900 operators are scrambling trying to find FOs and replace captains with anyone who can legally fill the seat, so any sort of “lifestyle” is out of the question too as you work extra days and babysit.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am The answer to this poll is PASCO, but the real answer should be Air Canada OTS or PML, Westjet Mainline, Air Transat, Sunwing, Sky Regional, Morningstar, or the like.

Why move sideways to DEC or move backwards to Encore/Jazz FO when you can move forward?

The 704 operator is officially on the endangered species list. The 1900 is getting old and tired and there aren’t any replacements for it. 1900 operators are scrambling trying to find FOs and replace captains with anyone who can legally fill the seat, so any sort of “lifestyle” is out of the question too as you work extra days and babysit.
Weill said

AC - The PMA guarantees all Air Georgian pilots with an Air Canada interview. In 2018 alone, Air Canada has committed to hiring nearly 100 pilots from Air Georgian through the PMA."

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am Why move sideways to DEC or move backwards to Encore/Jazz FO when you can move forward?
Some people don't want to move, or accept a job where you won't even know where you'll be based. Some pilots don't want to take a pay cut to go 705.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am
Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am Why move sideways to DEC or move backwards to Encore/Jazz FO when you can move forward?
Some people don't want to move, or accept a job where you won't even know where you'll be based. Some pilots don't want to take a pay cut to go 705.
Thats why it's a bit of a silly question. The choice is more related to what you want to do - Go to AC GGN hands down, make a good living flying a 1900 Wasaya or Pasco, WJ - take your pick. The question should be "if you want to stay flying 704 where should you go?"

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Sure thing-the question is open ended and can be asked as if you don’t want to go to Georgian, Encore or Jazz, which 704 would you choose to make a career in hopes that AC may call? And if not, you would already have built seniority at that company and feel like you can work there for 5-10 years.

There is limited choice in Canada which is why I am curious about other people’s opinion about that matter. Not everyone wants to go to Encore or Jazz, but they have had enough of the bush as well.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Most of those companies would be pretty decent to sit at while waiting for an OTS call from Air Canada. Most of them have 705 planes to move up to as well. Can also make a career as a PASCO Saab captain, Sunwest jet pilot or Wasaya dash captain if AC doesn't call or you don't want to work there.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm Most of those companies would be pretty decent to sit at while waiting for an OTS call from Air Canada. Most of them have 705 planes to move up to as well. Can also make a career as a PASCO Saab captain, Sunwest jet pilot or Wasaya dash captain if AC doesn't call or you don't want to work there.
I get the AC not for me so I want a place I can make a career of BUT if AC is remotely the goal get to Express as fast as you can, any Express. If that doesn’t work out go to sunwing. Sitting around waiting for ots is pretty nuts unless there is more to the senecio.

Another unrelated point: isn’t this also more of a question of where you live? West coast pasco east coast Evas, Toronto Georgian, I bet anyone that wants to settle into any of these operators is the type of person that values being local. Just a guess, sorry, none of these places worth moving for unless it’s as a stepping stone.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

This poll is a bit like asking which sexually transmitted disease you'd prefer to contract.

There isn't really any answer that appealing.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 am This poll is a bit like asking which sexually transmitted disease you'd prefer to contract.

In this day and age a 1900 should not be considered anything more than a stepping stone. The questions should be... What 1900 operator provides the next best opportunity in the quickest time?

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Agree. The day of a 1900 being a place to park for a while is long gone. Take any company off the list that doesn’t have a quick upgrade to a 705 machine.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 am This poll is a bit like asking which sexually transmitted disease you'd prefer to contract.

:wink:

xcs491
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by xcs491 »

we im a plane.jpg
we im a plane.jpg (324.54 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

xcs491 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm
we im a plane.jpg
Is that a Bristol? Had a chance to fly one back when, kind of wish I had but I was building multi turbine, oh well.
Never flew a 1900 which is the topic, so not sure what the pic has to do with that.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I was just kidding around anyway. The B1900D is actually a pretty awesome aircraft in its class. Unfortunately I can't really claim to be in the know about its employers these days, apologies.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”