Reps from operators express concern on new duty regs

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Reps from operators express concern on new duty regs

Post by jd832 »

Representatives from the Air Transport Association of Canada hold a press conference on propose duty regulations.

http://www.cpac.ca/en/programs/headline ... s/61703566
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Reps from operators express concern on new duty regs

Post by tbaylx »

Funny how almost every other country manages to implement modern fatigue duty rules that take into account circadian rhythm and number of sectors but when when Canada tries to do it it takes years and ATAC threatens route cuts and doom and gloom if such a thing goes ahead as planned.
Yup your going to have to hire more pilots, and yes that is going to drop the experience levels in the flight deck. And yes, that is safer than having us do 6 sectors in the middle of the night, or switching from day to nights, or doing a 17 hour duty day. Time to accept the change and stop fear mongering. Start adapting your training programs to accommodate lower time pilots.

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

Wow, these guys are so full of shit I expect it to start coming out their ear's by the end of the conference.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The guy talking in the beginning of the video sounds like he's been up for over 14 hours as well. He should get some sleep.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

Ironically, 3 of those guys are pilots, don't know about Canadian North.

They do have some very valid points though. It is Transport Canada's process and methodologies they have issue with.

It is imperative pilots also have their say instead of just the ones holding the purse strings.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Proposed Regulations

Heaven forbid we meet ICAO obligations :rolleyes:

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

I am very disappointed to have one of my former DFO's opposing the proposed regulation changes. He would always remind the line pilots that he was there with us, "flying the line" and that he understood the challenges we faced. Shame on these management "pilots" for selling out on safety, to pad their bonuses.

EDIT - After watching the whole video....of course he's still boasting about flying the line. LOL

monkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by monkey »

The board represents the best of the best in Canadian aviation. :roll:

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

monkey wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm The board represents the best of the best in Canadian aviation. :roll:
hahahaha right?!

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

The proposed regulations allow you to use FRMS instead of the prescribed rules. If have the data to back it up, you can design your own rules.

I don't understand their problem. Why don't these ATAC boys just get their data together and implement FRMS?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

The "college" of pilots just appointed a fatigue denier to their board recently. Losing any credibility they had. :roll:

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

They keep saying that the proposed regulations are outdated, and that there are better options that are based on science, so what are they? They haven't proposed any alternatives, and seem to want to keep things the same as they are now, so are they implying that the current regs are more modern and scientific than the proposed ones? They don't want Transport to paint with a broad brush, but a straight 14-hour duty day isn't overly broad, outdated, and lacking scientific basis? Steve Hankirk also said there has never been a plane crash in Canada which was attributed to fatigue, which is a lie: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pilot-fat ... s-1.910002 There are so many other problems with the whole press conference that I could do a point-by-point breakdown, but it would stretch for pages and I'd probably have a stroke.
If they think there's a better way, they need to come out and say it, or shut up. They obviously just intend to obfuscate and delay until the whole issue goes away, leaving them with the current regs.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Keep in mind Steve is running Canadian North, the same airline that was doing 6 sectors across Canada in the middle of the night in 737-200's. Going into St John's at 9am most of the guys were so tired the amount of little errors were almost comical. Last i checked in aviation our goal isn't to wait for an accident before we fix what's broken.

Salt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Salt »

It is my suspicion that many of the current managers in Canadian aviation are trapped in an outdated paradigm. They simply can not see hazards associated with fatigue. I believe this would be similar to previous generations that accepted driving while intoxicated as being a norm, not wearing seat belts, the hazards of smoking..etc. Often people who are stuck in such mindsets require a localized tragedy to snap them out of it. Or simply be policed from continuing in a hazardous attitude. We cannot hope that the current management in many of our companies in Canada will come around to the idea of fatigue management on their own. They will likely have to be pulled kicking and screaming out of the dark. Hopefully Transport can stick to their guns.

Or maybe we can all wring our hands in a of couple years down the road when a bagged crew piles one in. I believe this issue will become more apparent as we accrue less experienced crews flying more complex machinery. Previous generations of pilots have had on average higher levels of experience to help back them up despite fatigue. The new generation getting started on light turboprops and regional aircraft will have to be more dependent on automation and SOPs to keep them safe.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

tbaylx wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 am Keep in mind Steve is running Canadian North, the same airline that was doing 6 sectors across Canada in the middle of the night in 737-200's. Going into St John's at 9am most of the guys were so tired the amount of little errors were almost comical. Last i checked in aviation our goal isn't to wait for an accident before we fix what's broken.
Isn't the message from them that they want more consultation which is about the same message from ALPA about the issues? I doubt many pilots, including apparently some posters on here, have actually read the proposal, the IATA recommendations and FAR's. ALPA has and these operators have and they all say we are not satisfied. Why do you blindly believe TC in some anecdotal statements about alignment? There are only something like 8 IATA audited airlines in Canada and two of them are on stage saying "pause, we need new regs but lets all talk about this". They are also speaking for all of ATAC which of course includes Jazz and Chorus Aviation.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Both ALPA and operators dislike the proposed regs, but for opposite reasons. ALPA says they're watered down and wants them to be more aligned with the rest of the world, and maybe world leading. Operators are saying they're too expensive and unnecessary.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:23 am Both ALPA and operators dislike the proposed regs, but for opposite reasons. ALPA says they're watered down and wants them to be more aligned with the rest of the world, and maybe world leading. Operators are saying they're too expensive and unnecessary.
None of them said they were unnecessary and they said the cost of the regulations "as proposed" were too expensive because they are too complicated, convoluted and contradictory. In fact they went out of their way to say the current regs need to change and that the change should be based on the science of today (meaning, not what the US used a decade ago). The case Sunwing brought up about Australia is bang on - as an industry, we all need to get this right. I think pilots should do their own homework and not jump to side with TC, the unions or the industry. It is a pilot in the ac, not the regulator not the union and not the ceo.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

The proposed regulations aren't perfect, but they're better than the existing regime. These operators are implying the opposite, and the fact that they haven't proposed an alternative indicates that they don't want change. If there's a better system, then they need to propose it, because no one can evaluate their suggestion against the proposed regs if no one knows what the alternative is. What they want is for the proposal to be scrapped and the process started over, which would take years, meaning that they could keep pushing their crews on 14-hour days in the meantime; no doubt, whatever the next proposal is, they would take the same approach and say that it's not the right way of doing things. They'll never actually put forward an alternative, because as long as they don't they can say that there's a better way, and continue delaying the process. I won't take them seriously until they produce something constructive.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

Diadem wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 am The proposed regulations aren't perfect, but they're better than the existing regime. These operators are implying the opposite, and the fact that they haven't proposed an alternative indicates that they don't want change. If there's a better system, then they need to propose it, because no one can evaluate their suggestion against the proposed regs if no one knows what the alternative is. What they want is for the proposal to be scrapped and the process started over, which would take years, meaning that they could keep pushing their crews on 14-hour days in the meantime; no doubt, whatever the next proposal is, they would take the same approach and say that it's not the right way of doing things. They'll never actually put forward an alternative, because as long as they don't they can say that there's a better way, and continue delaying the process. I won't take them seriously until they produce something constructive.
unfortunately, that is not the way the process works, never has never will. What they are saying (I have no idea if true BTW) is that the consultation process was flawed from the start because of A,B,C,.... ALPA is saying the same thing. I agree different ends of the argument but both say the gov didn't have any meaningful consultation as is required by law.

My only personal opinion on who is "more right" is that I think it is a big mistake to assume TC are the defacto good guys here, hey - maybe it ALPA, maybe its industry but they are both yelling STOP. I expect very few if any pilots have really read the Gazette 1 info and compared it to IATA or the FAR's in any fulsome way. How many pilots for example know about what happened in Australia??

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Working for up to 14 hours straight starting at midnight is criminal. Period.

That needs to stop. It should have stopped years ago!

Further investigate and consult with industry, by all means. The current regulations - which I would argue are the worst in the world in terms of fatigue - need to change in the meantime. If something even better can be worked out and implemented several years from now, I'll be the first to support it.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”