US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Malfunction »

US starting to ban people who are connected to the canadian pot industry from entering at the boarder.

https://www.narcity.com/news/the-united ... a-industry

What will this mean for pilots who have put money into the pot industry?
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by FICU »

Sounds like you'd have to be a heavy investor. How would the US know I have 1000 shares in a pot company when I go to cross the border?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I imagine the US DOJ compiles a list from the SEC (or similar organizations ) and gives it to the immigration department. So far it just seems like they are going after Canadians that invested in the American pot companies though. The precedent hasn't been set for someone being denied entry for investing in a Canadian company. Yet.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Well kinda ironic since you can buy a few Canadian cannabis stocks on US exchanges. Like Canopy growth for example.

As far as the border cops are concerned I have never owned and currently have no cannabis stocks. It's their job to prove otherwise. If I get denied entry due to owning stocks of a Canadian company on a Canadian exchange, we'll he how far the fight goes. I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers who would be more than interested in taking up the case.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

FICU wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am Sounds like you'd have to be a heavy investor. How would the US know I have 1000 shares in a pot company when I go to cross the border?
Because people tell them for some reason.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

FICU wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 am Sounds like you'd have to be a heavy investor. How would the US know I have 1000 shares in a pot company when I go to cross the border?
Border Services Agent: "Have you ever invested in a pot company?"
You: [fill in the answer which will get you past without perjuring yourself]

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Don't answer the question. Say "If I refuse to answer that question, will I be denied entry?"

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm Don't answer the question. Say "If I refuse to answer that question, will I be denied entry?"
I’m not sure why anyone is having trouble with this. Just say no.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 am Well kinda ironic since you can buy a few Canadian cannabis stocks on US exchanges. Like Canopy growth for example.

As far as the border cops are concerned I have never owned and currently have no cannabis stocks. It's their job to prove otherwise. If I get denied entry due to owning stocks of a Canadian company on a Canadian exchange, we'll he how far the fight goes. I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers who would be more than interested in taking up the case.
Good luck with that fight..

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 am As far as the border cops are concerned I have never owned and currently have no cannabis stocks. It's their job to prove otherwise. If I get denied entry due to owning stocks of a Canadian company on a Canadian exchange, we'll he how far the fight goes. I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers who would be more than interested in taking up the case.
If you aren't an American citizen, you have no right to entry to the US, and CBP can turn you away for any reason. The officer can deny you entry because he thinks you smell bad.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 pm Border Services Agent: "Have you ever invested in a pot company?"
You: [fill in the answer which will get you past without perjuring yourself]
If that becomes a new standard question by the US I guess many of us could be affected but I doubt it will.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm Don't answer the question. Say "If I refuse to answer that question, will I be denied entry?"
As a Canadian, the answer to that could easily be "yes." Nothing you can do but turn around and go back to Canada.
Hangry wrote:I’m not sure why anyone is having trouble with this. Just say no.
If there is some mechanism in place by which they already know the answer to this question before it's asked, or if your 'tells' lead them to believe you're lying to them, you could be subject to much worse treatment. Lying about investing in pot? Got any on you? No? Well, officer large fingers over there will take you into our exam room and just make sure...

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

U.S.Customs and Border Protection now saying anyone that invests in the industry in Canada will be barred from entering the United States. This could have big implications for any pilot that bought pot stocks. I understand they could have the ability to find out if you have via means other than just asking you.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabis/2 ... icial.html

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I wonder who the first Canadian pilot to end up detained at an airport will be. I personally have 6 pilot friends who are relatively invested in pot.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:52 pm I wonder who the first Canadian pilot to end up detained at an airport will be. I personally have 6 pilot friends who are relatively invested in pot.
I can think of at least as many, including myself. I wonder what ALPAs stance on it will be. Canadian money earned in Canada, invested in a legal company on a Canadian exchange. We'll see I guess.

Honestly I think it's all going to go away. The USA likes talking a big game and not actually following through.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Last edited by Lightchop on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Unions?

You guys seem to forget this is a foreign country. Not another province.

As Canadians you have zero rights to anything there, no different than any other foreign country.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

They don't feel it's a legal business even if Canada decided that it is. There are probably examples of people being turned away from Canada for doing something that is considered legal in their home country.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:59 pm Unions?

You guys seem to forget this is a foreign country. Not another province.

As Canadians you have zero rights to anything there, no different than any other foreign country.
Yes you're right. But unions have pull with government. And government has pull (well maybe not anymore) with the USA.

Also ALPA is the largest pilot union in the USA. Hell, their HQ is in Washington DC.

When otherwise law abiding citizens (and pilots) start getting turned away at the border this will become bigger news. I sent an email to my local federal government representative expressing my concern. I will post if I get a reply.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”