US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by digits_ »

Okay. Not sure what that meme has got to do with anything.

I'm also happy to know you read my posts in detail to notice all the grammar and spelling mistakes. Your replies give the impression that you didn't.

Simplified:
1) US can legally turn away anyone they want, as in: no lawyer would be able to get you access, as no laws were broken.
2) Canada can do that as well.

If 1) happens, 2) can be a response to that. Even though 1) is legal, that does not mean it is desired behaviour. As a method to prevent 1), Canada could implement 2). This would prevent law abiding Canadians from being "punished" by the US for no legal reason. In that case Canada would also do undesired behaviour. The tit-for-tat you mentioned. If that is the only way to get rid of 1), then so be it.

There is no contradiction in anything I've said. Merely a list of actions and reactions that could happen.

No. I am pro pot, and I think its foolish the US is denying access to people, like me, who invest in weed. But, they can do what they want, as you have said, they have the legal right to turn anyone away for any random reason. However, seeing how you made this statement saying I have no place in this discussion if I did feel that way, and your horrid spelling in grammar, and contradictory grasping for straws debate style makes me believe you are a millennial of some sort.
I never said people don't have a place in this discussion, only that they are not an objective party if they are using the US policy as an argument to defend an anti-marihuana stance in Canada. Try to figure out how logic works.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by digits_ on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:53 am
Before you visited Saudi Arabia, did you do things in other countries that were legal in those countries, that would get you arrested (or worse) in Saudi Arabia if you did them there?
First off I was not " visiting " Saudi Arabia, I was there as part of my flying business and quite frankly I was treated very well by the people I met there.

As to your question about doing anything in other countries that would have got me arrested in Saudi Arabia, they didn't think so because they issued me the visas.

There are far worse places on earth than Saudi Arabia.
Okay, semantics: visiting, for work, ... not really relevant for the discussion here. Let's say you entered Saudi Arabia, correct?

You didn't answer the question though: did you do things before you entered Saudi Arabia that would have been illegal in Saudi Arabia? If I'm not mistaken, consuming alcohol is illegal there. I am pretty sure you had consumed alcohol at some point in your life before entering, yet they did not refuse you entry.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You didn't answer the question though: did you do things before you entered Saudi Arabia that would have been illegal in Saudi Arabia? If I'm not mistaken, consuming alcohol is illegal there. I am pretty sure you had consumed alcohol at some point in your life before entering, yet they did not refuse you entry.
Yes I consumed alcohol during my lifetime, in fact I was a full blown alcoholic for many years and also flew for a living during that period.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. is more draconian than Saudi Arabia?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 am
Yes I consumed alcohol during my lifetime, in fact I was a full blown alcoholic for many years and also flew for a living during that period.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. is more draconian than Saudi Arabia?
No. Merely illustrating that Saudi Arabia is allowing people access to their country even though they have done things in other countries that would be illegal in Saudi Arabia. Someone thought it was important engouh to bring up in this discussion. It wasn't me.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 amYou didn't answer the question though: did you do things before you entered Saudi Arabia that would have been illegal in Saudi Arabia?
Try telling them youre gay, and see how well it works out for you. Legal here, not there.

By imposing retaliatory measures you're essentially telling them what to do. Which is what you've said is not something right.

Anyways, looks like you haven't taken your lithium today, oh darn, so you'll just keep talking in circles here. Contradicting yourself. We're done here.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pianokeys wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 amYou didn't answer the question though: did you do things before you entered Saudi Arabia that would have been illegal in Saudi Arabia?
Try telling them youre gay, and see how well it works out for you. Legal here, not there.
While this is second hand information, being gay is not a problem. Performing homosexual acts is though. Maybe CWE will have more accurate data for this.
pianokeys wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 am By imposing retaliatory measures you're essentially telling them what to do. Which is what you've said is not something right.
My freedom ends where yours begins. My preference would be that the retaliatory measures are not required, but if necessary I think its use can be authorized, as it might be the only way to change their policy. I would not approve of Canada implementing such a policy first though, only as a countermeasure (or the threat thereof).

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

While this is second hand information, being gay is not a problem. Performing homosexual acts is though. Maybe CWE will have more accurate data for this.
I never ever had any reason to wonder about being a homosexual because I am not that way wired, but I will take your word that it is not a problem in Saudi Arabia if you don't perform the act there.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Some of you writing....no offense but try getting out more. Will give you context.
There are numerous countries with pretty obnoxious visa processes.....you have to do HERE before you even get on an airplane. Some of the questions I KNOW would offend half of you.

Which they can deny for any reason, or no reason at all.

Approval of THAT visa only allows you to get on the airplane. At the border, you can still be denied entry, or interrogated for any reason. Or no reason at all, and deported immediately, AND banned, if they don't like you.

And you think US border guards are rude. LOL.

Don't like it? Tough. It's their country! Period. Full stop. End of discussion. As is the US. Our opinions are both irrelevant and totally ridiculous applied to another sovereign nation. We've been spoiled.

I'll never stop travelling, though. I love the people wherever I've been. Not going to let border stuff stop me.

Ps. I predict more Visa's in my future...not less. Better get used to tightening borders.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 am 3) If the US turns people away for marihuana stock, Canada could decide to turn people away for owning automatic guns
Excellent point.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 am 3) If the US turns people away for marihuana stock, Canada could decide to turn people away for owning automatic guns
Excellent point.
Flip side.

I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment-- because we in Canada don't agree with "gun loving Texans".

Ever think the Americans don't give a sh-- what we think? News flash they don't.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment--
Do you believe everything Tucker Carlson says? Nobody is saying repeal it, just apply a smidgen of common sense to it.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong, there are people saying "repeal it". It's the fearmongers whipping up panic in the gullible masses that stormtroopers are on their way to bust down their doors, beat their kids, rape their women and worst of all...STEAL THEIR GUNS!!!!

Think I'm exaggerating? Gun sales go through the roof after a particularly bad mass shooting like Sandy Hook because the gullible masses always think the above. Under the current guy, gun sales have seriously stagnated because the gun owners feel safe. Bad news for Glock et al...

Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Excellent point.
Flip side.

I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment-- because we in Canada don't agree with "gun loving Texans".

Ever think the Americans don't give a sh-- what we think? News flash they don't.
There is a HUGE difference between gun control and repealing the 2nd amendment

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Excellent point.
Flip side.

There is a difference between voicing concerns and disagreement with a law in another country, and actually physcially affecting people (refusing them to travel for their job) who follow the laws in their country because you don't agree with them.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Look. I get the culture. I interact with it a lot.
I think they will get there on gun control. Those conversations are being had.

But not because we think they should. Certainly the mocking I've read here of American culture isn't very nice. How'd you like it if Americans came on here and made fun of us?

And there ARE loads of so called "tourists" of American culture that think they should give up all their guns, no big deal. No appreciation of American history.

On the border stuff I might think it stupid. I'll defend their decision to run their country as they see fit, and us, ours.

Our problem is we are a group of weak kneed pansies, led by leader totally concerned with waffling in any direction to get votes. Our leadership should stand up for us, and for pilots too on this issue. I agree.

And they don't. Your problem should be with your own weak government.

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

It's disgusting and I'm ashamed of my own government.

I respect that a lot less than decisive leadership where I may not agree on all points.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm How'd you like it if Americans came on here and made fun of us?
That would imply that generally speaking they know we exist...or care enough to make fun of us.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

There's MUCH more to it than that, and I think you know it.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm

A great leader will make decisions, for the good of their nation, even if it costs them the next election.

That is not what we have. Not even close.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm

A great leader will make decisions, for the good of their nation, even if it costs them the next election.

That is not what we have. Not even close.
Why do you think gutting the dispute resolution protections existing in the current agreement would be good for our nation? Why is the uncertainty inherent in a short term agreement good for our nation?

Not saying Trudeau is a great leader by any stretch, but defending his nation is a plus in my book as opposed to rolling over for a dimwitted despot who knows absolutely nothing about diplomacy or international trade. Doing so would have consequences for Canada far outlasting either of those two.

In fact in today's United States why would we think they would adhere to any agreement they sign? We have literally nothing to lose by defending ourselves that we don't stand an equal chance of losing anyway because their president wakes up one morning with a bug up his ass he heard on Tucker Carlson. These aren't normal times Rookie, we shouldn't pretend they are.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Neither should we roll over for a group of dairy farmers. Just saying.

I've had it with the shameless liberal pandering to Quebec. Absolutely ridiculous.

There is no room for that anymore.

"Normal times" -- are long gone. We had better accept it they aren't coming back. Anywhere.

If you haven't noticed, we aren't the power player in this relationship.

Can't even building an F----ing pipeline so we can ship crude to Asia instead, to be less beholden to the Americans on that.

Our weak kneed pansy, won't even declare the project as a national priority to override the court BS. Cant risk offending BC liberal voters!
Scared of the mayor....of Burnaby.

I can't believe anyone stands up for this kind of leadership.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 pm Neither should we roll over for a group of dairy farmers. Just saying.
I tend to agree, but I confess to not knowing enough about that subject to intelligently debate it. I do however know enough that the dairy issue is a canard seizing Trump's limited brain that constitutes around 0.2% of cross-border goods...never mind services that contribute to the overall trade surplus the US enjoys with Canada despite the bullshit their current "leader" peddles in. If that were all that were involved Canada would give enough to satisfy that imbecile, but it's not is it?

Nothing will ever be enough.

Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”