US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment--
Do you believe everything Tucker Carlson says? Nobody is saying repeal it, just apply a smidgen of common sense to it.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong, there are people saying "repeal it". It's the fearmongers whipping up panic in the gullible masses that stormtroopers are on their way to bust down their doors, beat their kids, rape their women and worst of all...STEAL THEIR GUNS!!!!

Think I'm exaggerating? Gun sales go through the roof after a particularly bad mass shooting like Sandy Hook because the gullible masses always think the above. Under the current guy, gun sales have seriously stagnated because the gun owners feel safe. Bad news for Glock et al...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by av8ts »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 am 3) If the US turns people away for marihuana stock, Canada could decide to turn people away for owning automatic guns
Excellent point.
Flip side.

I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment-- because we in Canada don't agree with "gun loving Texans".

Ever think the Americans don't give a sh-- what we think? News flash they don't.
There is a HUGE difference between gun control and repealing the 2nd amendment
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3423
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 am 3) If the US turns people away for marihuana stock, Canada could decide to turn people away for owning automatic guns
Excellent point.
Flip side.

I find it interesting that many of the same crowd that doesn't want to be told what they can and cannot do by the US in regards to pot, thinks they can proclaim loudly the US should repeal the second amendment-- because we in Canada don't agree with "gun loving Texans".

Ever think the Americans don't give a sh-- what we think? News flash they don't.
There is a difference between voicing concerns and disagreement with a law in another country, and actually physcially affecting people (refusing them to travel for their job) who follow the laws in their country because you don't agree with them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by rookiepilot »

Look. I get the culture. I interact with it a lot.
I think they will get there on gun control. Those conversations are being had.

But not because we think they should. Certainly the mocking I've read here of American culture isn't very nice. How'd you like it if Americans came on here and made fun of us?

And there ARE loads of so called "tourists" of American culture that think they should give up all their guns, no big deal. No appreciation of American history.

On the border stuff I might think it stupid. I'll defend their decision to run their country as they see fit, and us, ours.

Our problem is we are a group of weak kneed pansies, led by leader totally concerned with waffling in any direction to get votes. Our leadership should stand up for us, and for pilots too on this issue. I agree.

And they don't. Your problem should be with your own weak government.

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

It's disgusting and I'm ashamed of my own government.

I respect that a lot less than decisive leadership where I may not agree on all points.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm How'd you like it if Americans came on here and made fun of us?
That would imply that generally speaking they know we exist...or care enough to make fun of us.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

There's MUCH more to it than that, and I think you know it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

There's MUCH more to it than that, and I think you know it.
A great leader will make decisions, for the good of their nation, even if it costs them the next election.

That is not what we have. Not even close.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Example: Trudeau is about to blow a new Nafta deal. To appease a group of vocal millionaire dairy farmers. All about Quebec votes. Again.

There's MUCH more to it than that, and I think you know it.
A great leader will make decisions, for the good of their nation, even if it costs them the next election.

That is not what we have. Not even close.
Why do you think gutting the dispute resolution protections existing in the current agreement would be good for our nation? Why is the uncertainty inherent in a short term agreement good for our nation?

Not saying Trudeau is a great leader by any stretch, but defending his nation is a plus in my book as opposed to rolling over for a dimwitted despot who knows absolutely nothing about diplomacy or international trade. Doing so would have consequences for Canada far outlasting either of those two.

In fact in today's United States why would we think they would adhere to any agreement they sign? We have literally nothing to lose by defending ourselves that we don't stand an equal chance of losing anyway because their president wakes up one morning with a bug up his ass he heard on Tucker Carlson. These aren't normal times Rookie, we shouldn't pretend they are.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by rookiepilot »

Neither should we roll over for a group of dairy farmers. Just saying.

I've had it with the shameless liberal pandering to Quebec. Absolutely ridiculous.

There is no room for that anymore.

"Normal times" -- are long gone. We had better accept it they aren't coming back. Anywhere.

If you haven't noticed, we aren't the power player in this relationship.

Can't even building an F----ing pipeline so we can ship crude to Asia instead, to be less beholden to the Americans on that.

Our weak kneed pansy, won't even declare the project as a national priority to override the court BS. Cant risk offending BC liberal voters!
Scared of the mayor....of Burnaby.

I can't believe anyone stands up for this kind of leadership.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 pm Neither should we roll over for a group of dairy farmers. Just saying.
I tend to agree, but I confess to not knowing enough about that subject to intelligently debate it. I do however know enough that the dairy issue is a canard seizing Trump's limited brain that constitutes around 0.2% of cross-border goods...never mind services that contribute to the overall trade surplus the US enjoys with Canada despite the bullshit their current "leader" peddles in. If that were all that were involved Canada would give enough to satisfy that imbecile, but it's not is it?

Nothing will ever be enough.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by C.W.E. »

How did this get from pot to gun control?

The two subjects have nothing in common.

Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm How did this get from pot to gun control?

The two subjects have nothing in common.

Someone posed the question, "if the US is denying entry to people who do something legal in Canada but illegal in parts of the US, why shouldn't we deny entry to owners of assault rifles which are legal in the US but illegal in Canada"? Paraphrasing a little.

Relevant question I'd say.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm Everyone blames the Americans.

How about they decide to rip up NATO? Everyone is responsible for their own defence. And paying for it.

Effective immediately. Everyone good with that?
The Americans are the ones threatening the existence of NATO, which if you remember has only invoked article 5 once in its history to come to the defense of America after 9/11.

America also set NATO up to begin with not to defend Europe, but to defend America using Europe as the battle ground, and everybody was happy with it except the Russians. Same reason they have troops in South Korea. Same reason they have troops in the middle east. Same reason they have a Navy. Same reason they have a worldwide deployable Air Force. Same reason they have the Marine Corps. You think NORAD is there to defend Canada? These exist to fight America's enemies away from the United States.

History Rookie...a wonderful thing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Rockie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by C.W.E. »

Trump's limited brain that constitutes around 0.2% of cross-border goods...never mind services that contribute to the overall trade surplus the US enjoys with Canada despite the bullshit their current "leader" peddles in. If that were all that were involved Canada would give enough to satisfy that imbecile, but it's not is it?
Yes of course Trump is an imbecile it is quite evident by the fact he built a multi billion dollar empire and is the leader of the most powerful nation in history.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

Yup. PT Barnum would be proud.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by rookiepilot »

To be clear I disagree with the Trump doctrine on certain issues...like the tax cut structured for the rich. It's too much.

One day there will be a massive rebound, and Rockie's dream candidate (easy now -- it's a joke.... :mrgreen: ) Bernie Sanders will get in.

Then we will all be in a world of hurt.

On trade they might be pushing too hard, but there are valid points. It's hard to tell exactly until we see everything.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm To be clear I disagree with the Trump doctrine on certain issues...like the tax cut structured for the rich. It's too much.
Very happy to hear you say that.
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm One day there will be a massive rebound, and Rockie's dream candidate (easy now -- it's a joke.... ) Bernie Sanders will get in.

Then we will all be in a world of hurt.
We're not in a world of hurt now? Don't know much about Sanders, but I tend to lean your direction in that it would be bad (though nothing like the scale of slow motion exruciating catastrophe we're suffering now). I'm much more of a middle of the road man which tragically doesn't exist anymore in the United States, and increasingly in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2102
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm To be clear I disagree with the Trump doctrine on certain issues...like the tax cut structured for the rich. It's too much.
Very happy to hear you say that.
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm One day there will be a massive rebound, and Rockie's dream candidate (easy now -- it's a joke.... ) Bernie Sanders will get in.

Then we will all be in a world of hurt.
We're not in a world of hurt now? Don't know much about Sanders, but I tend to lean your direction in that it would be bad (though nothing like the scale of slow motion exruciating catastrophe we're suffering now). I'm much more of a middle of the road man which tragically doesn't exist anymore in the United States, and increasingly in Canada.
Currently reading Bob Woodward’s Fear: Trump in the White House. Fascinating read so far, book is certainly what it is hyped to be.
---------- ADS -----------
 
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by C.W.E. »

If nothing else he is better than Obama.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by Rockie »

Old fella wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:16 pm Currently reading Bob Woodward’s Fear: Trump in the White House.
Been trying to find a copy but they're a hot seller. Skipped Michael Wolfe's and Amorosa's, but Woodward is no bullshit.
C.W.E. wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 pm If nothing else he is better than Obama.
PT Barnum.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Locked

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”