Sky Regional Direct Entry Captain Posting - What a Joke

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sky Regional Direct Entry Captain Posting - What a Joke

Post by lownslow »

cloak wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am a DEC with over 10,000 hours and 10 years in 705 operations will start at year 10 pay.
This hypothetical person could still be an idiot. The hard part is safeguarding against that.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lownslow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am
cloak wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am a DEC with over 10,000 hours and 10 years in 705 operations will start at year 10 pay.
This hypothetical person could still be an idiot. The hard part is safeguarding against that.
Hopefully filtered out in interviews and sim evals.

S.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

lownslow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am This hypothetical person could still be NickyNick. The hard part is safeguarding against that.
There I fixed it for you.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm
lownslow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am This hypothetical person could still be NickyNick. The hard part is safeguarding against that.
There I fixed it for you.
**Slow clap** :smt023

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Any update on the ALPA certification?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am
Maybe idiot was too strong a word. The real danger would be this DEC slotting into the tenth year pay being good enough to pass but objectively and visibly worse on the job than, say, your average third year captain. You've now angered your second through ninth year captains over this new guy making more than them in spite of their weak performance and it was all to fill one seat. This is why that's currently a rarity.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

lownslow wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am
Maybe idiot was too strong a word. The real danger would be this DEC slotting into the tenth year pay being good enough to pass but objectively and visibly worse on the job than, say, your average third year captain. You've now angered your second through ninth year captains over this new guy making more than them in spite of their weak performance and it was all to fill one seat. This is why that's currently a rarity.
I'm thinking 10 year is a little much, but giving someone with 10 years of 705 experience PIC year 3 or 4 pay to soften the blow, and as long as I kept seniority I wouldn't think twice. This person put in their time in the industry, and it softens the blow for good guys/girls with golden handcuffs who want a change.

Also It benefits literally every other pilot in the company as well, don't be sour that you didn't have the experience to ask for year 3 pay at first year, but your schedule is now better because of this person, and you have risen on the seniority list indefinitely whether you were captain or FO that got jumped.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

American companies are giving YOS credit for pay. Up to the max. Skywest for example.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I made 15k more than that last year driving a truck.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 am I made 15k more than that last year driving a truck.
Yeah, but you drive a truck.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Yes I do, I also went out and bought my own damn plane, I fly where I want, when I want and how I want.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Yeah, but you drive a truck.
There are lots of people who like driving a truck.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 am I made 15k more than that last year driving a truck.
90K a year to drive a truck? Or more? How come I can't find these jobs on the internet.

Agreed, pay at Sky is out to lunch though.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I actually saw an ad through indeed not long ago for 75 cents a mile long haul. That'd be close to 90k. Making 45-50 cents right now for 60-70k but I'm also not putting on the miles like I used to. Only 8k ish a month vs 10-12k that a "full time" guy would do. However that comes with its own issues. Company wanted a guy basically willing to go out for 15 day trips and do 2 back to back before getting time off at home (probably only 2 days) but you'd make almost 6 figures for sure.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm I actually saw an ad through indeed not long ago for 75 cents a mile long haul. That'd be close to 90k. Making 45-50 cents right now for 60-70k but I'm also not putting on the miles like I used to. Only 8k ish a month vs 10-12k that a "full time" guy would do. However that comes with its own issues. Company wanted a guy basically willing to go out for 15 day trips and do 2 back to back before getting time off at home (probably only 2 days) but you'd make almost 6 figures for sure.
Sorry to everyone for the drift, just felt I should respond......

Well, I guess it really depends on where you live and perhaps what additional qualifications you have.

Just getting bored in retirement, almost enrolled myself in a fully paid 6 month course here in Quebec, and forgot about it after I did my research. There is no way they pay that much around here for someone starting out anyway, at best 50K, at worst below 30K, with a gruelling lifestyle. I figured that doing a couple of trips here and there just for kicks would be fun but quickly realized that it would not be possible.

Cheers

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Don't forget Sky pilots fly like 80+ hours seat time. Compare that to 50-60 at Jazz the pay might be better but be garunteed you're sure going to work for it.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Lightchop wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm Don't forget Sky pilots fly like 80+ hours seat time. Compare that to 50-60 at Jazz the pay might be better but be garunteed you're sure going to work for it.
That is an important metric. Without rigs and daily guarantees, annual flight time accrued will be significantly higher for similar T4. Very useful to calculate an effective hourly rate (i.e. $100,000 earned for 700 hours flown vs $100,000 earned for 1000 hours flown is $142.86/hr vs $100/hr.

Flight pay/duty hours ratio. Flight pay/trip hours ratio. Minimum daily credit. Vacation/stat entitlements. Overtime pay formula. Sick pay. All factor in to gross pay vs total time spent at work. Without synthetic credits, days worked increases dramatically and lifestyle is affected accordingly.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

If you guys get paid mileage what happens when you get a 2 hr ground stop delay to EWR and sit in the deicing pad?

Let’s Go Brandon
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 am If you guys get paid mileage what happens when you get a 2 hr ground stop delay to EWR and sit in the deicing pad?
Not there anymore since 3 years, but from what I recall, you get nothing. Duty time limits kick in, so go to the hotel, and let ops figure out the next move.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:07 pm
90K a year to drive a truck? Or more? How come I can't find these jobs on the internet.

Agreed, pay at Sky is out to lunch though.
It's not just driving the truck. While it's just a little single axle truck and all you need is your airbrake endorsement you need to be able to pull a 200 pound fuel hose into people's backyards, and do that about 30 times a day without spilling a drop, that's why the pay is good. Most new guys quit in about a week. it's more about 70k, the overtime makes it 90k, I'm at 95k now, still one more cheque before the year is up

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”