Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

TSB finds fatigue an issue in SFO lineup

Post by FL007 »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4487335/air- ... s-fatigue/

So happy someone is lighting a fire under tc now. Being up for 19 hrs on reserve is pretty standard. Hopefully the US implements the rules for us, since our government refuses to act.

Garneau said the gazette 2 with duty regs would be released in August, where is it?
---------- ADS -----------

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: TSB finds fatigue an issue in SFO lineup

Post by pianokeys »

Back your approaches up, boys!

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Water is wet.

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm Water is wet.
With as much respect as I have for you, I’ll do my own science on that thank you very much.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Maritimer wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:01 pm
Lightchop wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm Water is wet.
With as much respect as I have for you, I’ll do my own science on that thank you very much.

Hahaha, I see what you did there. Apparently even NASA couldn't convince M.G. of that.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Do you think the Air Canada corporation is involved with lobbying against the new rules?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Absolutely.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Victory wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:41 am Do you think the Air Canada corporation is involved with lobbying against the new rules?
Every airline is, and it shouldn't be a thing. The US should ban all aircraft not operating under ICAO approved duty regs from entering their Airspace. Period.

This issue has now been known to potentially cause catastrophic loss of life outside of Canada and affecting lots of other countries and their citizens who were successful at mitigating risk on their own tails.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

All airlines are fighting rules that require them to have more pilots. It cuts into their profits. If there were to be an accident it is the insurance company's problem.

Let’s Go Brandon
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 am All airlines are fighting rules that require them to have more pilots. It cuts into their profits. If there were to be an accident it is the insurance company's problem.
It hugely affects airlines if there's an accident. Millions in lost revenue. How many pax would be willing to fly full fare with a company that just killed 2000 people due to shitty scheduling?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm shocked that our Transportation Minister, an ex astronaut, would not act on something so critical (addressing pilot fatigue and changing legislation).

They will have a hearing, and Justin will dress up as an Air Canada Captain, just to get in the mood of things... probably a lady captain to be inclusive of everyone...

Das ist mir wurst...
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 am If there were to be an accident it is the insurance company's problem.
It's true. That's why Pan Am and TWA are bigger than ever.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The Honourable Garneau may have been an astronaut in the past but his current job is politician. He's not writing self help books for a living, he's putting food on the table by being a politician.

It should not surprise anyone that a political animal like The Honourable Garneau is interested first, last, and always, with how he is perceived to be doing his job. Specifically a job he has no clue how to do. So if you see Canadian media picking up on the NTSB message, you'll see him on TV saying that his ministry is doing something about it. If it isn't on the 6 o'clock news in Canada, it's unlikely to be on his radar.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Did the space shuttle blast off at 9 pm?

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Hahaha...pretty sure those Astro boys and girls had a proper legal rest before during and after a mission. Not that it matters much to MG anymore. He's "above" all that now. Still no such thing as a reducing duty period in Canada when on reserve right? Please don't tell me that's still allowed?

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

Marc Garneau was a Naval Officer; NOT a pilot.
While he may have a couple of Engineering Degrees (no small feat) he does not have a background to help him understand this issue.
Many people thought at the time that his selection as the "First Canadian Astronaut" was political. There were several good choices.
I nominate Chris Hadfield to provide a real look at this issue.
Look at Chris's history as a Military Pilot; he excelled at everything and is the nice guy he appears to be.
He has Engineering Degrees and multiple recognitions for excellence. Read the Wiki article below.
Chris comes from a well respected family of aviation professionals; he grew up flying from a farm field; his Dad was a very respected DC8 Instructor at AC; two brothers are AC Captains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hadfield

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

FADEC wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 am Marc Garneau was a Naval Officer; NOT a pilot.
More importantly, he IS a politician. As in, that is his current job and his past careers are rendered unimportant. He responds to public outcry only because that's how he maintains job security. This is why there is such a knee-jerk reaction when a pilot is caught showing up to work drunk. The public can't quite relate to being tired because at best they had that one time they were sleepy on the road trip but pulled over to stretch and were good to go for another hour, so no big deal.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Curious what the policy/procedure is for booking off fatigue at AC? I've done it before, but at Jazz and all I did was file an SMS and life went on. Are pilots flying fatigued at Air Canada in fear of booking off?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm Curious what the policy/procedure is for booking off fatigue at AC? I've done it before, but at Jazz and all I did was file an SMS and life went on. Are pilots flying fatigued at Air Canada in fear of booking off?
Well the problem was that they both reported to duty because they weren't fatigued at the time, you can't tell when you will become fatigued, and when it's a legal duty period you second guess if you should be or not.

Laws are set to draw the line. If blood alcohol content in drivers was as lax as fatigue rules and someone hit a family head on, drunk, and he wasn't over the legal limit would everyone say, well, he shouldn't have driven even though he legally could? Or would you change the laws.

When the captain felt fatigued he was already in the air, he couldn't really call crew sked and ask to be released due to fatigue.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”