Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Tim Perry elected as head of ALPA Canada Board

Post by CanadianEh »

ALPA Elects Canada Board Officers

WASHINGTON D.C. — Yesterday, the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA) elected ALPA Canada Board officers to advance the union’s work as the leading advocate for professional airline pilots in Canada. The elections were held during the union’s 47th regular biennial Board of Directors meeting in Washington, D.C.

WestJet Capt. Tim Perry was elected to serve his first term as ALPA Canada president. Capt. Brian Shury was reelected vice president, and Capt. Rod Lypchuk was reelected secretary-treasurer. Their terms begin on January 1, 2019.

As ALPA Canada president, Capt. Perry will also serve as one of ALPA’s executive vice presidents and a member of the Association’s Executive Council. His responsibilities include planning, coordinating, and administering ALPA Canada activities and initiatives that further ALPA’s strategic goals with the Canadian government and stakeholders.

“Canada’s airline pilots are facing both significant challenges and opportunities. I am confident that, by working together, ALPA Canada and our pilots will achieve our goals of safer skies, improved working conditions, and fair contracts, while continuing to be the leading voice in Canadian aviation,” said Capt. Perry. “I am a firm believer that all Canadian airline pilots need to come together. Unity in our profession will make it clear to the Canadian government that airline pilots are one of the most valuable resources in the aviation sector and are tremendous advocates for improved aviation safety.”

“I look forward to being able to bring my experience to ALPA Canada, and I am eager to continue increasing ALPA, International’s membership in Canada,” said Capt. Shury.

“During my time on the Canada Board, I have seen our membership grow significantly. I have also seen firsthand the positive changes that pilot unity can achieve, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for our members and all Canadian pilots” said Capt. Lypchuk.

:prayer: Change was long overdue and based on Tim's platform (TimPerry2018.com) we have a strong leader at the helm with the honourable goal of UNITY and STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Tim Perry elected as head of ALPA Canada Board

Post by FICU »

Holy crap!

He was my F/O on a King Air buzzing around the arctic when he first started flying.

Congrats Tim!!!

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

I find it odd that my WJ colleagues on the ALPA mailing list haven’t received a Happy New Year message from the new Canada Board President, who assumed office January 1. I know he’s probably business learning the ropes, but surely the message software isn’t that complicated.

What’s adding to the sense of oddness, is that ALPA congratulated the new National Officers, who also assumed office on January 1 for 4 year terms, but made no mention of the Canada Board President. Does Canada even matter to ALPA?

902A7F33-DD04-476B-A6BB-60817A26E6CC.jpeg
902A7F33-DD04-476B-A6BB-60817A26E6CC.jpeg (681.4 KiB) Viewed 2406 times

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

If it makes you feel better, I'm at Sky and still haven't been officially told we're ALPA yet. I found out on here lol

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

straight2thepoint wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 am If it makes you feel better, I'm at Sky and still haven't been officially told we're ALPA yet. I found out on here lol
If you are subscribed to the ALPA emails, there has been lots of communication on the changes to the national officers and the Canada Board. Most people skim over these emails anyways. I remember seeing the email when Sky Regional was officially certified as well.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The Group VP’s (including the CBOD President) are not National Officers. They are by definition ‘local’ officers based on the constituent airlines contained in their particular group. Perhaps that is why they are not listed. However, they do still comprise the Executive Council of ALPA.

Other changes to the CBOD structure and voting rights of the CBOD President are on hold as they were contingent on the ACPA/ALPA merger which seemingly has been placed in abeyance.

Having said all of that - it would be nice to hear from the new CBOD President who officially took office on January 1st. Perhaps he can provide an update on the ACPA/ALPA merger discussion.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Air Canada certainly dodged a bullet if they were ever seriously thinking of joining ALPA. With so much cash and so much autonomy, why capitulate to a foreign "organization"?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”