Which Canadian Airlines expect their Flight Deck Crew to also be Cabin Groomers?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Which Canadian Airlines expect their Flight Deck Crew to also be Cabin Groomers?

#51 Post by C.W.E. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Nothing to write home about.
My mentioning the issue of hand writing the answers was merely to point out that T.C. has made passing the exams easier.

Which helps contribute to the imbalance of jobs to licensed pilots thus low wages.
---------- ADS -----------

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Which Canadian Airlines expect their Flight Deck Crew to also be Cabin Groomers?

#52 Post by sampsonmcd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:28 pm

CBC Marketplace is even investigating how dirty AC/WJ/Porter are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZUVbQrVZIU

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

#53 Post by Anticyclone » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 pm

C.W.E. wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:27 pm
When I wrote the exams for the ATPL the answers were all hand written and were marked based on what you actually knew as shown in your hand written answers, in today's world you have the multiple choice crutch to help you.

Here is the airplane that was used in the exam.

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/ ... 049_en.php
WOW Constellation youre lucky mate.. i cant say i go back that much but I managed to use the loran C, bottom line guys "What you sow you reap" as long as we have guys begging for jobs they can make whatever they want with us and sooner or later they will ask the toilets to be cleaned, for God sake they have more people on their waiting list then IKEA store opening. :prayer:

Airbrake
Rank 3
Rank 3

#54 Post by Airbrake » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m_episod ... e-surfaces

I guess it doesn’t matter who does the cleaning. No one is doing it well.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

#55 Post by Anticyclone » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 am

Airbrake wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

I guess it doesn’t matter who does the cleaning. No one is doing it well.
In fact in does matter as these long cleaning hours spent by the crews are taken away from flight preparation so its a bloody safety issue, its a latent threat that is yet to say its name.

rookiepilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#56 Post by rookiepilot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:27 pm

Sit on the blanket (to soften today's rock hard seats).

About what it's fit for.

Use own fleece for blanket.

Consider tray like touching toxic waste.

Airplanes or a city bus?

No difference except length of travel.

Gino Under
Rank 7
Rank 7

#57 Post by Gino Under » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:10 pm

I’d never offer my services to an airline that expected me to cross seat belts, collect garbage, or throw out puke bags as part of my job. Not even as an “owner”. That’s not a pilot’s job and it isn’t anywhere within his/her area of responsibility. It’s got nothing to do with being above my dignity or beneath my dignity. Pilots should be focused on flight plans, fuel requirements, enroute and forecast weather, not to mention meeting ridiculous 25 minute turnaround times their cheap employer expects of them.
We may not all agree on this stupidity, so whatever floats yer boat. This BS stops when professional pilots say it does.
Gino

complexintentions
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#58 Post by complexintentions » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:44 am

Some contradictory arguments. On the one hand it's "easy" to become a pilot, at the same time there's an "endless supply of young pilots competing for jobs"...which to me, means...not easy to become a professional (ie, paid) pilot...?

Which is it? Hard or easy? In 2018, not 50 years ago, or 50 years from now.

Also, obtaining a pilot's license is not the same as becoming a professional pilot. And I don't think either are "easy". For the license, the educational requirements may present a low barrier to entry, but the costs most certainly do not. And as far as gaining employment, ideally to a place in the industry where the pay and lifestyle are satisfactory, sorry, but for the vast majority I would hardly describe that as "easy".

Oh, yeah. Cleaning. I won't do it. Ever. Not because I'm too "good" for it, but because my time is worth too much now to make it worth my while, and my employer agrees. But it took a lot of years to get to this place. And that's really the core of the argument - pilots grooming planes only serves to illustrate that they are not valuing their time sufficiently, nor is their employer. Never mind what it says to the traveling public.

Not sure why people argue in favour of it, but then again most pilots in Canada seem to have pretty low self-esteem.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Blueontop
Rank 3
Rank 3

#59 Post by Blueontop » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 pm

First thing, lets ignore for a moment what our opinion as pilots is regarding grooming aircraft in between turns. Let’s look at it from the perspective of John Q flying public and ask the average person on the street if they think their pilots clean the aircraft. Most ppl are surprised to learn that pilots can be required to clean the aircraft during turns. This shows to me that it is not considered a duty of pilots to be expected to clean and groom an aircraft by the average passenger.

Secondly, I’ve read the entire thread and have yet to read which operations actually require the pilots to groom the aircraft besides WT. It’s only been a debate on the principle of pilots grooming instead of answering the OPs question. Perhaps the OPs question can actually be answered as I’m interested in knowing as well.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”