Pet Peeves?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Pet Peeves?

Post by mixturerich »

DirtyDashDriver wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm It all boils down to professionalism for me.

1. We want to be paid and seen as professionals
Except regional FO’s aren’t paid as professionals so what can you expect? When one paycheque goes entirely to rent it’s pretty demotivating.

As for sunglasses in the terminal that is just pathetic and super douchey and cringeworthy.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm
DirtyDashDriver wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm It all boils down to professionalism for me.

Except regional FO’s aren’t paid as professionals so what can you expect? When one paycheque goes entirely to rent it’s pretty demotivating.

As for sunglasses in the terminal that is just pathetic and super douchey and cringeworthy.
Actually some people wear prescription sunglasses. It's not always easy to switch back to regular glasses. Sometimes you leave the plane with sunglasses, and only realise in the terminal you are still wearing them. Your regular glasses are back in the plane. Do you quickly go to the washroom with your sunglasses, or run back to the plane through the crowded jet bridge to get them?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 pm
mixturerich wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Actually some people wear prescription sunglasses. It's not always easy to switch back to regular glasses. Sometimes you leave the plane with sunglasses, and only realise in the terminal you are still wearing them. Your regular glasses are back in the plane. Do you quickly go to the washroom with your sunglasses, or run back to the plane through the crowded jet bridge to get them?
I’m calling bs on this. I wear glasses and prescription sunglasses. I’m always aware of which ones I’m wearing

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

I would Never walk through terminal with sunglasses, prescription or not, on. Never.

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

Professionalism begets professionalism. So too does the inverse. Yes, it is demotivating earning so little, but what do you expect a company to do when they hear their pilots "meowing" on a frequency or showing up to work with a uniform that clearly spent the night on the floor? That's not how professionals act. If I am an owner of a company, why would I spend more of my money on someone who continually embarrasses my brand?

Now, if that person turns around, acts like a professional, flies the aircraft with a mind for keeping costs down while also being safe, then maybe I pay that person or persons a little more for their effort. But in the airline world, there is always going to be that one idiot who ruins it for everyone. Therefore, it's better to run that type of person out of town before they do damage to the profession.

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

Yep. I'm one of those "some people" too.

It is very easy to switch back to regular glasses. You keep one case or both cases on top of everything in your flight bag. Then, once the airplane is parked and you think you need to run into the terminal, you swap out your glasses. Hell, tie it to taking off your headset.

I don't know about you, but the need to take a leak doesn't just come on. There is normally a little warning. Enough warning that you can think to yourself "hey, I need to swap out my glasses when I go into the terminal."

It truly is the little things that differentiate pro-ams from professionals.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

rooster aren't you a bit of a C@ck of the walk

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

DirtyDashDriver wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 pm
Professionalism begets professionalism. So too does the inverse. Yes, it is demotivating earning so little, but what do you expect a company to do when they hear their pilots "meowing" on a frequency or showing up to work with a uniform that clearly spent the night on the floor? That's not how professionals act. If I am an owner of a company, why would I spend more of my money on someone who continually embarrasses my brand?
Awwwww, Dash, no one wants to read your comments. Not going to win any popularity contests.

They all want to read the message from those Unifor type ads the Liberals are running.

All small business are scumbags. Professionalism? F----that, Just Pay me! I deserve it!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

hangers are for clothes; hangars are for planes

perdiums no, no, no: per diem

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

complexintentions wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 am I love threads like this. Gives me ideas on how best to trigger uptight Canadians. Just wish you didn't make it so easy, there's no fun in that! :mrgreen:
Easiest way is to call us American.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 pm Actually some people wear prescription sunglasses. It's not always easy to switch back to regular glasses. Sometimes you leave the plane with sunglasses, and only realise in the terminal you are still wearing them. Your regular glasses are back in the plane. Do you quickly go to the washroom with your sunglasses, or run back to the plane through the crowded jet bridge to get them?
I thought you've been around long enough to know which type of glasses you are wearing? If you can remember a memory drill you haven't had to look up in a month while operating, I am sure you can remember which set of glasses are on your face when you surly change them out a couple times a day.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

flyinhigh wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:44 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 pm Actually some people wear prescription sunglasses. It's not always easy to switch back to regular glasses. Sometimes you leave the plane with sunglasses, and only realise in the terminal you are still wearing them. Your regular glasses are back in the plane. Do you quickly go to the washroom with your sunglasses, or run back to the plane through the crowded jet bridge to get them?
I thought you've been around long enough to know which type of glasses you are wearing? If you can remember a memory drill you haven't had to look up in a month while operating, I am sure you can remember which set of glasses are on your face when you surly change them out a couple times a day.
Let me guess, you don't wear subscription glasses? :wink:

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:56 am Let me guess, you don't wear subscription glasses? :wink:
Nope, but my retina is an irregular shape which allows excess light in and actually hurts the head alot so I am the guy that has to wear sunglasses when the normal person does not, yet I remember to take them off whenever I leave the flight deck.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:56 am
I’m curious about where and how to get a glasses subscription!?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

NotDirty! wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:51 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:56 am

I’m curious about where and how to get a glasses subscription!?
Yeah yeah. Ya got me. :wink: I saw my mistake as well in the quote.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Pet peeve: When somebody says "you have to pay your dues... I did," in response to "pay is crap in Canada and I can't afford rent this month."

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Greasy Greaser »

goingmissed wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:02 am Pet peeve: When somebody says "you have to pay your dues... I did," in response to "pay is crap in Canada and I can't afford rent this month."
I'm surprised anyone still says this, "paying dues" was okay when you made 7k a month in the 90s flying a single engine haha, now...you'll go further up north (or south) and make 3.5k a month pre tax if you're lucky.

Lose != Loose

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”