The other side of new duty regs?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The other side of new duty regs?

Post by BigQ »

Number of cycles is a big issue. I remember a 10 hour day of 12 cycles in the North was a lot more fatiguing than what I do right now at 12-14 hour, 2 cycles.

In fact, talking to coworkers in my 705 op with a lot of day turns, you will find the desire for the new regs a lot more muted.

Regionals, though, you guys really need it. But in operations like Air Transat and Sunwing that is high-credit high-efficiency flying, the only time I see fatigue is repeated days in a row and alternating mornings and evening flights.

The morale boost of being home every night and the benefits of "sleeping in your own bed" definitely have a subjective positive effect on fatigue.
---------- ADS -----------

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

BigQ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 am Number of cycles is a big issue. I remember a 10 hour day of 12 cycles in the North was a lot more fatiguing than what I do right now at 12-14 hour, 2 cycles.

In fact, talking to coworkers in my 705 op with a lot of day turns, you will find the desire for the new regs a lot more muted.

Regionals, though, you guys really need it. But in operations like Air Transat and Sunwing that is high-credit high-efficiency flying, the only time I see fatigue is repeated days in a row and alternating mornings and evening flights.

The morale boost of being home every night and the benefits of "sleeping in your own bed" definitely have a subjective positive effect on fatigue.
I believe that's supposed to be the point of the FRMS and it's ability to over ride the fatigue regulations. It's not just a morale boost to sleep at home every night, it takes stress out of your life, which reduces fatigue, and you're going to get a better sleep in your own bed, which reduces also reduces fatigue. I hope that transat and sunwing will be able to make these arguments that working 10 - 13 hour, 2 leg days and being home at night, getting several days off to catch up on sleep is beneficial vs. having to fly south, spend 24 hours away from your family, sleeping in a hotel, eating food on the road, etc... Again, there is a good FRMS point to be made, and I believe TC will accept that.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Marinth wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm
BigQ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 am Number of cycles is a big issue. I remember a 10 hour day of 12 cycles in the North was a lot more fatiguing than what I do right now at 12-14 hour, 2 cycles.

I believe that's supposed to be the point of the FRMS and it's ability to over ride the fatigue regulations. It's not just a morale boost to sleep at home every night, it takes stress out of your life, which reduces fatigue, and you're going to get a better sleep in your own bed, which reduces also reduces fatigue. I hope that transat and sunwing will be able to make these arguments that working 10 - 13 hour, 2 leg days and being home at night, getting several days off to catch up on sleep is beneficial vs. having to fly south, spend 24 hours away from your family, sleeping in a hotel, eating food on the road, etc... Again, there is a good FRMS point to be made, and I believe TC will accept that.

I agree 100%, and this is the intended purpose of the FRMS inclusion. I just hope the weight of the FRMS doesn't get abused and approved where it shouldn't be, such as in virtually any regional.

C172Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Air Transat second in command

Post by C172Guy »

Hey guys, anyone here been to Air Transat interview in Montreal? would appreciate a feed back, also, just wondering how they do the SIM test, any other tests I should know about? Thanks guys, much appreciated.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:smt017

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 pm :smt017
I was thinking the same thing.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

That's a nice bug!

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

One way would be to get rid of 17 hours "unforeseen" under all circumstances and replace it with "limits" as max duty time under various scenarios and "targets" for building schedules; with limits being a little longer for instance 2-3 hours. That way there is some room for flexibility if need be, but schedules cannot be extended to the "limit". The proposed revision already has little change for two sectors originating and returning to home base, allowing the longer turns to come back to base which is good for pilots and company.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”