Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WarmSandDreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Switching to flying in the US

Post by WarmSandDreams »

Hi All,
just a brief about myself for clarity's sake, I'm Canadian born and raised and thought I'd always fly in Canada through my career. However I have landed myself a green card in the US through marriage. I've converted my AA's over to the FAA, now I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I'm thinking of applying at some American carriers, and really I'm just wondering how different it is flying for a US carrier vs a Canadian one. I've been a 705 captain for a little bit, but really have no experience flying south of the border. If anyone else has made the switch and could let me know their expereince, ie differences in training, rules, things to study to make the switch easier, that would be greatly appreciated! I've been trying to get my hands on some sample SOP's or FCOM's just to see if they have different philosphies than we do, but haven't had any luck.
---------- ADS -----------

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Switching to flying in the US

Post by Stinky »

Start working on a four year degree at a US university or you'll have no chance at a major. If you have a Canadian degree you can have it evaluated and transfer the credits to the US school.

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

WarmSandDreams wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:39 pm Hi All,
just a brief about myself for clarity's sake, I'm Canadian born and raised and thought I'd always fly in Canada through my career. However I have landed myself a green card in the US through marriage. I've converted my AA's over to the FAA, now I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I'm thinking of applying at some American carriers, and really I'm just wondering how different it is flying for a US carrier vs a Canadian one. I've been a 705 captain for a little bit, but really have no experience flying south of the border. If anyone else has made the switch and could let me know their expereince, ie differences in training, rules, things to study to make the switch easier, that would be greatly appreciated! I've been trying to get my hands on some sample SOP's or FCOM's just to see if they have different philosphies than we do, but haven't had any luck.
It's very different for the better. The airlines put a lot more money into training and the experience level of the new hire first officers is a lot higher. FO's aren't treated like babies like they are here. You will not see low experience pilots at the majors.

U.S. commercial aviation is very big on aircraft systems. One of the big differences before a checkride or PPC is a systems oral exam. Some carriers do it before you start sim training right after systems ground school and other do it after sim training just before you hop in the sim for your checkride. They could be an hour one or two in length. Some carries will ask you systems questions during the interview about previous aircraft you've flown.

If you haven't flown south of the border much, you will quickly realize what a high density traffic airport looks and feels like, but you'll get use to it quick.

The FAA is a lot more present in the US than TC is here in Canada. It's normal to have the FAA jump seating several times a year in your jump seat.

I would study Part 91 and par 121 for the FARS.

If you get on with a US carrier you shouldn't have any issues with different philosophies. They will train you and you'll get use to it quickly. Attend lots of JOB fairs if you can. Do volunteer work if you can. They like to see that on you application.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/
https://www.aerocrewsolutions.com/
https://fapa.aero/
https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/default.aspx

jaburn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaburn »

How hard was it to switch over your licence to an FAA ?

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

It's harder now than it used to be. For me it was medical, verification letter and 50 question exam.
Now you're to take a CTP course which includes ground training and SIM and costs about $5000.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

While I don't have direct experience flying for a US carrier, I have been back and forth between Canada and the US for quite some time, so just a couple notes/resources if you haven't run across them yet.

Check out Aerocrewnews.com for information on each of the different carriers. Take with a bit of a grain of salt as a lot of it is US regionals trying to sell themselves to potential pilots, but the airline working condition charts are very helpful in determine which carriers have bases where and what the current bonuses are etc.

As I understand the more recent legislation, you are not eligible to be a Captain on Part 121 aircraft until you have 1000 SIC time with a US carrier. So even if you had years of PIC time on an RJ, you couldn't be a direct entry Captain for the same aircraft in the US - you'd need 1000 hours SIC time (but it can be in any part 121 carrier - i.e. could be a different aircraft).

Best of luck!

WarmSandDreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WarmSandDreams »

jaburn wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:08 pm How hard was it to switch over your licence to an FAA ?
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 28#p963028

There is a guy on that thread that does a great job of explaining how to do it. It's a bit of a pain getting all the steps done, but it's manageable. As said above you have to do a 7 day course with a couple of days of sim time that will cost you 4-7k. Other than that there is a test, you need to get a medical, and you need to submit a form to the FAA to get your license verified.

Thanks a lot everyone else for the info, it's been very helpful!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

So with the ATP-CTP ourse requirement now, would it be the same or easier to convert a CPL and then, EARN your FAA ATP vs Earn you Canadian ATPL then convert? Turns out my wife is getting sick of the Canadian Nursing licensing stalls and like us pilots much lower pay. Difference is US will take nurse, and then sponsor their husbands too. Might be bailing on the great white north to spend time with the Fam in Phoenix instead :lol:

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

C-GGGQ wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:27 pm So with the ATP-CTP ourse requirement now, would it be the same or easier to convert a CPL and then, EARN your FAA ATP vs Earn you Canadian ATPL then convert? Turns out my wife is getting sick of the Canadian Nursing licensing stalls and like us pilots much lower pay. Difference is US will take nurse, and then sponsor their husbands too. Might be bailing on the great white north to spend time with the Fam in Phoenix instead :lol:
That would be great, but find out exactly what type of visa they would offer your wife. There are very few US Visas where the spouse gets a right to work in the US. Both NAFTA TN Visas and H1B Visas permit a spouse to come live in the US, but not work.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Oh I've checked that out thoroughly. I forget the designation off the top of my head, but it's a work permit for the spouse too (and giant bonus, provided housing... Etc....etc.) they are constantly headhunting especially immigrant nurses who are having a hard time navigating the Canadian nursing red tape. She worked at a trauma center in Saudi Arabia as an RN for 5 years. Took her 2 years just to get her long sorted out here and has to search across the country for a place that will upgrade to RN since every province requirements are different.....it's a gong show. Plus my father lives there and is a citizen but I am too old for him to sponsor lol. But she gets me a first visa and he can get me a green card basically.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Just get the CPL and have the regional airline pay for the ATP. The majority of them are doing that as part of the initial training now I think.
If your dad is a citizen you should check to see if you are a citizen. Was he a U.S citizen when you were born? If so, how long did he live in the US as a child? If you're not a citizen, have him file the paperwork immediately. It's a very long wait. It took me 12 years to get a green card.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unfortunately no I do not count. I could not even be sponsored in as when he decided to move I was 22 and no longer a "dependant child" my younger brothers were. Need the visa through wife basically at this point.

seafeye
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by seafeye »

Just go fly at Piedmont airlines. And in 4-6 years you’ll be at American Airlines. No degree required. The sooner you get in the better.

For the third friggin time....Flt 124 at 24oh!
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

seafeye wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 pm Just go fly at Piedmont airlines. And in 4-6 years you’ll be at American Airlines. No degree required. The sooner you get in the better.
Piedmont sponsoring green cards?

S.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Stinky wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm It's harder now than it used to be. For me it was medical, verification letter and 50 question exam.
Now you're to take a CTP course which includes ground training and SIM and costs about $5000.
I got my faa the easy way over a decade ago. Easy.

What is a CTP course? Just curious.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

confusedalot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 am
Stinky wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm It's harder now than it used to be. For me it was medical, verification letter and 50 question exam.

I got my faa the easy way over a decade ago. Easy.

What is a CTP course? Just curious.
Never mind, just googled it.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”