Air India crew save 777 from certain disaster

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Air India crew save 777 from certain disaster

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

They were forced to attempt a dangerous non precision approach, something they are not trained for and that Boeing does not teach.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/as-majo ... rd-1917842
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air India crew save 777 from certain disaster

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Geez. How does that happen on something as sophisticated as a triple seven? Must have been something pretty catastrophic to take out all those systems.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

here is the tape. very good managing of the situation by the crew and ATC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-4CSfwcQ_M

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

Sorry, maybe I am being cynical but is it not expected of any pilot worth their salt to be able to land without radio altimeters and ILS’s? Maybe I’m old fashioned but I thought that losing all those would be just a pain in the ass day at work with a bunch of snags at the end.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Depends on the weather.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

peakbagger wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 pm Sorry, maybe I am being cynical but is it not expected of any pilot worth their salt to be able to land without radio altimeters and ILS’s? Maybe I’m old fashioned but I thought that losing all those would be just a pain in the ass day at work with a bunch of snags at the end.
Cloud base at 400'. What would you recommend?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

It's not clear whether the Approach Mode wasn't working or whether the ILS receivers were not working.

You can easily fly an approach using basic autopilot modes (Heading and V/S).

Dual radio altimeter failure in my airbus means the approach mode isn't available. We can still fly an ILS using the LOC mode and FPA to track the Glideslope. I believe Boeing is similar.

Hopefully there will be a proper investigation and report published that will clarify what happened.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

The B777 has 3 radio altimeter systems. Loss of any two will result in the loss of auto pilot, auto thrust, tail strike protection,nauto call outs, and auto land. I am not sure if the flight directors will still work or not, will; look in to it.

Now, where are all those who say we are just a year or two away from automated airplanes?

Cheers sportingrifle.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The news article states:
Without the availability of his Instrument Landing Systems, the crew decided to attempt a "non-precision" approach by using the few functional navigation aids on board. This meant using the jet's Vertical and Lateral Navigation systems to simulate an Instrument Landing Approach into Newark. This was an out-of-the-box approach, something Air India does not train its pilots in. Boeing, the manufacturer of the jet, does not mention use of this technique either in its operational guidelines for the 777 aircraft.
I'm guessing a great deal has been lost in translation as I can assure you that LNAV/VNAV approaches on the B777 are both regularly performed and are quite certainly taught um, everywhere.

Kind of a weird story. I have a feeling this may turn out to be along the same lines as the carrier that didn't realize they hadn't raised the landing gear after takeoff. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:36 pm Ia'm guessing a great deal has been lost in translation as I can assure you that LNAV/VNAV approaches on the B777 are both regularly performed and are quite certainly taught um, everywhere.

Kind of a weird story. I have a feeling this may turn out to be along the same lines as the carrier that didn't realize they hadn't raised the landing gear after takeoff. :mrgreen:
:x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

Throwing this out there, they ended up doing an ILS approach at EWR on their diversion. I listened to the whole audio.

Daniel Gustin
paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

They accepted an ILS but flew it lnav/vnav

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”