Gabor Lukacs and CBC shit all over Air Canada - again

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Gabor Lukacs and CBC shit all over Air Canada - again

Post by pianokeys »

Well well well... Looks like Gabor and his boyfriend the CBC are at at again!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.4933798

"Airlines are deceiving the travelling public," says Lukacs, founder of Air Passenger Rights, a Halifax-based organization that fights for better protections for air travellers.

"By lying to passengers, the airline has very little to reimburse, because passengers are afraid to spend money."

"I missed the dolphins completely because I was inside on the phone." sayz Scott Bissell, an adult man.

Gabor needs to take his meds and stop being so paranoid. Airlines arent out to get people as he suggests.
---------- ADS -----------

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Gabor Lukacs and CBC shit all over Air Canada - again

Post by Dizzy D »

“An adult man” :lol:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Tomorrow on the news:

"Adult white male threatens female phone operator with aggressive verbal behavior while ranting about dolphins"

"I had no idea what was going on", said the customer service agent to CBC. "He just kept going on about dolphins. I thought it was some kind of weird sex thing".
"He kept askin to bag his dolphin", her supervisor said. "We didn't feel safe as women that this brute kept asking us for money. I felt like he was solliciting me, as if I was a prostitute. I mean, I don't really have a problem with like prostitutes, but other than to get free dinners from white males, I almost never exchange sex for money. Except that one time in Indonesia, but that's not really relevant for now. You can read about it on my instagram if you want though. But don't like creep me on there, I value my privacy hashtag-me-too".

"We repeatedly told him to enjoy his vacation and call us when he was home again, but apparently he booked a 5000 dollar vacation without 50 dollars of spending money to get by. In an attempt to satisfy our customers, we started a gofundme page for him to buy underwear. Unfortunately our valued guest decided to put some pictures of his current underwear on there, and the page got deleted".

Mr Bissell is also considering litigation against the boat operator, as the cabin did not have enough windows to observe the dolphins while talking on the phone. A detail that was not mentioned on the facebook page of the boat operator.

Greenpeace commented that the dolphins are the true victims of this whole story. "They are constantly being watched for profit, and do not deserve such a faith." They advocate a 5 dollar fee per lost bag should be invested in a stress free oceanpark for dolphins. "And please, having lost your underwear is no excuse to go on those boat trips bottom-less. Those poor animals are highly intelligent".

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4918963

From the article;
Passenger rights advocate Gabor Lukacs — who was hired as a consultant for Flair this month

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Not a bad idea hiring that Lukacs douche. Helps keep the airlines negative events out of the press a little. The fact that he had nothing negative to say about the airline in the artical also proves to me that he is only looking for attention and really doesn’t give a shit about passengers. The quote should be, “earlier this month Flair paid off Super Douche to not bad mouth them in the press.”

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

I almost called this thread the Gabor Lukacs Super Thread so we could post every time the CBC and him get together and kiss.

I wonder how long it will be before he tries to sue avcanada for defamation.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

“Whose luggage missed a connecting flight.”

How do we know he didn’t start his journey on another airline, and they lost it? Air Canada was the last carrier but maybe there’s more here than meets the eye.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

For an investigative journalist, she sure didn't put much effort into investigating the actual conventions. They made it sound like if your baggage doesn't show up when you arrive, you're immediately entitled to $2100. But that's not the case, your baggage is only considered delayed at that point. The airline has 21 days to find your luggage before they must declare it lost and pay out the $2100.

Montreal Convention, Article 17, Para 3
If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.
The convention also uses Special Drawing Right for all compensation, which fluctuates, hence the compensation price difference between two years ago and now. For delayed luggage, you're entitled to reimbursement for damages up to a maximum 1131 SDR (currently $2100 CAD). The key there is damages, that means anything you need to buy (with certain exceptions) while there in order to do what you intended to, you can submit the receipt and claim. Overall, lazy journalism.

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

I know Scott. It was AIr Canada all the way. His luggage went to Rome. The customer service people were less than helpful.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

kevind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 am I know Scott. It was AIr Canada all the way. His luggage went to Rome. The customer service people were less than helpful.
Someone sent the bag to FCO instead of MCO? :lol:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 am
kevind wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 am I know Scott. It was AIr Canada all the way. His luggage went to Rome. The customer service people were less than helpful.
Someone sent the bag to FCO instead of MCO? :lol:
Helpful to know your codes.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

And the alphabet.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

$2100 is for a bag lost, or delayed over 21 days according to the convention.

It sounds like nobody lied to him. He got his bag back so a $2100 claim is unwarranted and it would be premature for an agent to suggest it as he was in the airport or in the days immediately after.

Air Canada publishes all this information and how to claim interim expenses prominently online. For a guy spending so much time everyday on this how can he not be aware.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I am by no means a fan of Gabor Lukacs or the CBC's reporting of Aviation. However, a couple of notes:

1- None of the airlines in Canada go out of their way to tell passengers their legal rights when it comes to Montreal Convention issues. Personally I do think they could do a better job, though I've witnessed first hand that when you say to passengers "go reasonably purchase what you need for a replacement value" most people think you're giving the a blank cheque. The best story I had was a fellow who bought 8 pairs of shoes including kids shoes, even though there were no kids on the trip!

2- The maximum amount under the Montreal Convention is actually the same for either delayed or lost bags. What is a reasonable expense differs though. For a delayed bag, it would be reasonable to purchase a change of clothes, some toiletries etc. - For lost baggage it would be reasonable to replace what was in the bag, up to a maximum of 1131 SDR.

3- If your bag is delayed, you are almost immediately, entitled to be compensated for the reasonable expenses incurred by not having your bag. Again - what's reasonable depends. Most of the time if you bag will be there in 6 hours, perhaps a change of underwear and a bathing suit is reasonable. But if you were traveling for a wedding and it's that evening, I'd argue purchasing a suit or dress is reasonable. Thing is, it will be up to the passenger to prove it.

4- The amount is a maximum. It's up to the passenger to show, within reason, that they suffered the loss. However, the maximum is pretty hard - don't a bunch of expensive suits in one bag, because you won't be compensated.

5- The airlines used to have a much smaller limit of liability for domestic flights ($250 for a lost piece of luggage). But partially through Gabor's complaining to the CTA, the domestic limit of liability is now the same as the Montreal Convention's limits for international flights. Again, while I don't condone Gabor's tactics or personality, $250 limit of liability for a lost piece of baggage was crazy low.

6- I can say with certainty though that passengers who understand their legal rights and approach airlines with proof of their expenses are generally dealt with fairly.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”