Pilot shortage State side

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MooneyPit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pilot shortage State side

Post by MooneyPit »

Indeed; it was a post-9/11 action from the Bush administration to entice the Aussies to join in the fun (akin to the US allowing commercial Canadian beef to enter the USA during the BSE outbreak; no regards to public safety!). Even then, I doubt Chretien or Martin could have lured the Bush administration to opening the pilot path as the air travel industry was in shambles. When the E-3 program was created it was definitely in a time where they never knew that there would be a pilot shortage. How many people live in AU versus CA? About Half? Anyone know if there is a pilot shortage in AU? Well, the Trump administration sure does not care for unions so maybe something will come out of this for the USA's best ally and trade partner around. Especially if the shortage is crippling the airlines here.
---------- ADS -----------

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

United announced they plan to hire 10000 pilots over the next 10 years.

MooneyPit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MooneyPit »

1,000 pilots a year for ten years is certainly a lot. But how many young US citizen candidates are in the pool right now racking up their hours and are eager to move up? The easy way to throw water on the fire are these temporary non-immigrant visa programs. ALPA will certainly have the fight of its life as Trump will be around until 2024. By then there definitely could be sweeping changes that they cannot fight (my union is losing BAD right now). This can happen overnight with the proverbial "signature of a pen". I'll be up front and say that I am a "pro union" as I have worked government jobs for my entire adult life and have been beaten up too many times by rogue and worthless managers (that seem to get worse by the day). On the other hand, I am a free-market conservative that supports minimal business regulations. To find the balance of pilot staffing is the job of the marketplace; not forced government intervention and restriction. I will contact my US Representative (Republican) and see if he would support adding "Professional Pilot" to be designated as a specialized career field in regards to non-immigrants. I will also try my two Senators (Dem) but they are both bought and paid for by the Unions here but just maybe they will listen. I'm from a union stronghold State though. Allowing more Canadian professional pilots will allow airlines to increase volume thus employ hundreds of more US Citizens in other positions. It is my understanding that one Part 121 transport turbine aircraft requires at least 15 pilots? Just think about how many support staff are required, on average, per aircraft. This was my pro-H1B argument (believe it or not) to add more annual slots. Bring in more smart people to fill (actual) gaps that will make $$$,$$$ and then pay U.S. taxes and spend it on capital purchases here. When the Indian computer programmers come here, they actually do significantly contribute to the economy. They may bring in their parents and cousins, etc. but almost all of them enter the work force and pay taxes and become a cog in the gears economic growth of the States. I digress...

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Great posts MooneyPit. I agree with everything you've said.
Allowing more Canadian professional pilots will allow airlines to increase volume thus employ hundreds of more US Citizens in other positions. It is my understanding that one Part 121 transport turbine aircraft requires at least 15 pilots? Just think about how many support staff are required, on average, per aircraft.
Don't forget the shareholders of major 121 operators. Their dividend and stock performance will suffer if they can't continue growing. Oh, the humanity!!

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:52 am Ah well, I suppose you can make anything look all sunshine and rainbows on a website/ social media page
Hell, georgian started giving up their routes and still had hiring ads here

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”