This doesn’t help the bottom line

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

This doesn’t help the bottom line

Post by Old fella »

---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: This doesn’t help the bottom line

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

What do they expect flying a garbage bargain basement airline like that? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Article title should read "Stupid people get what they paid for."

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

In my assessment, it appears to me that Swoop (a bad idea for the limited Canadian travel market) is just an anchor tied to the ankles of Westjet, an airline weighed down by enormous debt, and both are swimming in a sea of competitive uncertainty. Somehow, this isn’t going to end well. It’s just a matter of time.

Gino

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Gino Under wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 am In my assessment, it appears to me that Swoop (a bad idea for the limited Canadian travel market) is just an anchor tied to the ankles of Westjet, an airline weighed down by enormous debt, and both are swimming in a sea of competitive uncertainty. Somehow, this isn’t going to end well. It’s just a matter of time.

Gino
If one aircraft in a fleet of seven has a major maintenance issue that requires it to be out of service for a few days, that can throw off a schedule severely.

I worked at an airline with twelve aircraft and there was an incident that took an airplane out for a week. It was hell for us and for some of our passengers.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Gino Under wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 am In my assessment, it appears to me that Swoop (a bad idea for the limited Canadian travel market) is just an anchor tied to the ankles of Westjet, an airline weighed down by enormous debt, and both are swimming in a sea of competitive uncertainty. Somehow, this isn’t going to end well. It’s just a matter of time.

Gino
How else can they undercut Flair?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Soon passengers will link Swoop to, and it will start hurting the larger Westjet brand.

They'd be wise to drop the "safety is most important" qualification in their excuses, plan their utilisation a little less aggressively, and send a mainline fin to clean up the mess.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

There have been so many airlines/charter airlines/ LCCs fail or merge in Canada, it amazes me how the repetition of history has failed to educate. I can well appreciate the reality of 1-in-7 aircraft going off-line and creating havoc for Swoop, but what was plan B? Bleed financially and unnecessarily frustrate and anger a limited customer base? Didn’t they anticipate a maintenance issue coming and an associated worse case scenario? (Of course they did.)

What’s next? Possibly set the wheels in motion for the need to shut it down, now that TS will merge with AC (likely Rouge)?

This isn’t going to end well.
Gino :partyman:

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Once words gets around that a traveling company has unreliability issues and customers are kinda left to their own devices as a result, this will go over with the travelling public like a lead fart at a wedding reception. WJ had better clean this up post-haste.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I don't think the traveling public cares about the punctuality, safety record, or reliability of a specific airline. They go online and book the cheapest flight with "the airlines" and expect a scary and uncomfortable ride somewhere. Often they have no idea which airline they booked the ticket with let alone which airline is actually operating the flight.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

If you read the CBC article this is the second time someone got screwed but they booked again because it was cheap

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

ahramin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 pm I don't think the traveling public cares about the punctuality, safety record, or reliability of a specific airline. They go online and book the cheapest flight with "the airlines" and expect a scary and uncomfortable ride somewhere. Often they have no idea which airline they booked the ticket with let alone which airline is actually operating the flight.
While I share portions of your hypothesis, I don’t accept all of it. The circles that I run around with are very much keenly aware of their surroundings in dealing with travel in that they subscribe to the adage “ you get what you pay for”. I suspect and know some have been burned and it lingers, believe me. Such folks are in the minority but tend to be vocal, how much it sways can be debatable , but I see evidence that it does.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm sure you are right since Air Canada still manages to fill seats.

My wife and I don't hang around aviation people much. Of all our friends I can only think of a small handful who consider anything other than price when traveling somewhere in North America. They make sure they check expedia, flights.com, travelocity, and any other flavor of the month aggregator and book the cheapest one. They would never think of checking a specific airline website.

Unless someone is a frequent flyer I don't think they have any idea which airlines are which.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

ahramin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm I'm sure you are right since Air Canada still manages to fill seats.

My wife and I don't hang around aviation people much. Of all our friends I can only think of a small handful who consider anything other than price when traveling somewhere in North America. They make sure they check expedia, flights.com, travelocity, and any other flavor of the month aggregator and book the cheapest one. They would never think of checking a specific airline website.

Unless someone is a frequent flyer I don't think they have any idea which airlines are which.
Your observations are all very true and no doubt stories as well when things fall apart, vacations ruined or additions on cost/disruptions. Must be one hell of a feeling( which I never experienced) going to airport or hearing in the media your trusty LCC just ceased operations. Like you our close association of friends excludes those of aviation, however I have been subject to ridicule on my less that stellar opinions on LCC or ULCC. Rather than the continued debate with those folks , I reiterate that I only have the signing authority on my Travel Visa card and I jealously guard where it goes.

Cheers Moderator 😉👍.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”