Another one done

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Another one done

Post by Old fella »

Air Italy announced it will cease operations this month, however it appears to be an orderly closure as advanced notice was provided. Some gotta win, some gotta loose I guess.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Another one done

Post by altiplano »

A small failed airline (meridiana) pumped up, rebranded, and running on Middle Eastern money for not even 2 years...

ME money has artificially warped the industry in what is essentially a vanity project for billionaires.

Just as well in the larger scheme of it all, good luck to the crews finding a new seat.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Flooding the job market with a large number of Type Rated experienced Pilots only puts downward pressure on WAWCON for everyone else imho.

A lot of Airlines have gone out of business in Europe during the last few years.

Looks like things are going to get even worse imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm Flooding the job market with a large number of Type Rated experienced Pilots only puts downward pressure on WAWCON for everyone else imho.

A lot of Airlines have gone out of business in Europe during the last few years.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on particular reasons why, travelling market much different than here in North America. Companies like WOW and Thomas Cook went down to defeat yet RyanAir seems to holding its own so far.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Old fella wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm Flooding the job market with a large number of Type Rated experienced Pilots only puts downward pressure on WAWCON for everyone else imho.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on particular reasons why, travelling market much different than here in North America. Companies like WOW and Thomas Cook went down to defeat yet RyanAir seems to holding its own so far.
I'm no expert on the Business side of Airlines.

Both look like the consequences of bad management.

Thomas Cook used a Business model that no longer reflects how people book holidays - the Inclusive Tour type holiday has been replaced by people making their own arrangements online. The low cost carriers are now also in these markets - Thomas Cook did not adapt to the changing market.

WOW tried the low cost longhaul model (Similar to Norwegian). I don't believe this is a viable business model as financial results have shown.

A lot of people don't realise just how big Ryanair is (450+ aircraft!). EasyJet operates 167 aircraft.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Not to take away from your analysis, but Easyjet operates over 300 aircraft.

As for European airlines going down, another one hit the dust within a day or two of Air Italy. Atlas Global from Turkey.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Thanks for the correction.

Turkey is a revolving door for Airlines - they start up/shut down/restart under a different name continuously!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:59 am
Old fella wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm no expert on the Business side of Airlines.

Both look like the consequences of bad management.

Thomas Cook used a Business model that no longer reflects how people book holidays - the Inclusive Tour type holiday has been replaced by people making their own arrangements online. The low cost carriers are now also in these markets - Thomas Cook did not adapt to the changing market.

WOW tried the low cost longhaul model (Similar to Norwegian). I don't believe this is a viable business model as financial results have shown.

A lot of people don't realise just how big Ryanair is (450+ aircraft!). EasyJet operates 167 aircraft.
Well I would certainly suggest your knowledge( business side) would be deeper than mine,as you are in the industry on that side of the world. TC failure always intrigued me because I thought there was a defined market for the all inclusive tour type with the older demographic (me) who would rather get someone to look after it all instead of “on line” hunting like my kids so I wonder if there were bad mgt issues outside of that. Then again Monarch failed just before TC which was of the same model.
WOW I can understand(failure), no disrespect to Iceland and its people but wasn’t convinced it is a mass vacation destination that supports an LCC. Even to Main European spots with WOW you had to transit through Iceland so the price would have to be exceptionally good as I see it. Icelandair operated from YHZ up to there, not sure if they still do and if it was popular or if on a seasonal basis and I don’t know of anybody who used this service- perhaps that may say something 😉. One area of leisure travel that is going to hit the rocks in my view is the Cruise industry , those oversized boats are floating incubators for all sorts of nasty stuff- however that is another debate 🤔.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Old fella wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:21 am One area of leisure travel that is going to hit the rocks in my view is the Cruise industry , those oversized boats are floating incubators for all sorts of nasty stuff- however that is another debate 🤔.
A lot of cruise passengers fly to various destinations to join a cruise and/or fly home after the cruise is complete.

Aviation is going to take a huge hit as more travel restrictions are imposed and people stop travelling imho.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

those oversized boats are floating incubators
I think it was a numbers game . Obviously, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before everyone was infected on that boat ! Like a big accident prompting a fix ( Max) there needed to be a certain number of sick on board for the politicals to re--act ! ( I can't imagine Japan would open that many isolation units up to non-paying foreigners anyways! )

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:07 am
Old fella wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:21 am One area of leisure travel that is going to hit the rocks in my view is the Cruise industry , those oversized boats are floating incubators for all sorts of nasty stuff- however that is another debate 🤔.
A lot of cruise passengers fly to various destinations to join a cruise and/or fly home after the cruise is complete.

Aviation is going to take a huge hit as more travel restrictions are imposed and people stop travelling imho.
Points noted and taken.
🙂

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Flybe, which has been on life-support since January is apparently going to be tits up in a matter of hours; after the UK Government rejected the idea of giving the company a bridge loan. 2,000 employees soon to be out of work.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Any guesses on what will happen with the Flybee aircraft?

ameryass2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ameryass2000 »

Regional in Toronto seized some pilot new hire courses.

:wink:
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

I’m not sure I follow you. Are you talking about Sky Regional and what does “seized a new hire pilot course”?. Do you mean they laid off pilots that were in the middle of a Pilot Initial Training Course?

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

A ground school class of 8 were suppose to start yesterday at Sky Regional. That course was cancelled. No other new hires in their ITC has been laid off to date.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

hithere wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm I’m not sure I follow you. Are you talking about Sky Regional and what does “seized a new hire pilot course”?. Do you mean they laid off pilots that were in the middle of a Pilot Initial Training Course?
What I heard (second hand) is that they had some people hired, given a groundschool date, and have since cancelled the groundschool. Dunno if they were told to wait for one later or what.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Same thing happened at United.

It has happened before this Covid19 thing, and I'm sure it will happen again.

That's why it's not smart to quit your current job until you really need to.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

derateNO wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:45 pm Same thing happened at United.

It has happened before this Covid19 thing, and I'm sure it will happen again.

That's why it's not smart to quit your current job until you really need to.
100%. Hard though when places like Sky are giving new higher less than two weeks notice to begin with...

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”