Smoking in aircraft

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BaldChewbacca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Smoking in aircraft

Post by BaldChewbacca »

Weird question here. I'm looking for a CARs reference for whether or not smoking on aircraft is legal or illegal. Yes I know it's a dumb idea either way, this is purely for informational purposes. Airlines I know is illegal. What about your own private aircraft (again, cars reference, not your personal opinion). What about Charter aircraft? I found car 602.06 which seems like the captain can allow it during cruise which seems ridiculous.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Smoking in aircraft

Post by ahramin »

Looks like you've already found the applicable regulation. A Captain can certainly allow smoking in cruise flight.

BaldChewbacca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BaldChewbacca »

That's interesting, I really thought it was illegal. I can't find anything about smoking on airlines, and I would expect that to be explained in the cars though. I doubt an airline could allow it even if they wanted to, but can't find anything otherwise

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You can definitely smoke on your own aircraft or a charter company could allow it. its only illegal on planes because the company bans it, and that's enforceable under the aeronautics act.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The rules date back to when airlines still allowed smoking and there haven't been any accidents caused by smoking since the change so I guess there isn't much impetus at Tranport Canada to update the CARs. If a business jet or small plane ever goes down due to smoking then I'll bet the rules change pretty fast.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Is there any federal equivalent to the many provinces that have banned smoking in a workplace? Obviously someone on the airplane is working.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Try in here... I haven’t read all of it:
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/act ... age-1.html

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I used to fly with this older guy, who'd been a smoker his entire life, practically. Before we'd get stuck in at a fire, I'd go into the back and take a whizz, and then he'd go into the back and have a smoke. I figured it was better for both of us to be able to concentrate on the job at hand, rather than nic-fitting out, or squirming uncomfortably..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

Captains I flew with on 705 aircraft could be seen with a butt hanging out of the DV window while freight was being unloaded and pax were de-planing, I think even while fuelling in the north. That was over 20 years ago, but just a blink of an eye on a geological time scale.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

I always found it amusing that you can smoke in the cockpit if the PIC says it's okay, but never in the lavatory

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

To clarify...It is not illegal in the 705 world.
The CARs which the OP looked up refer only to take off, landing, and the balance of the flight at the Captain’s discretion.

The airlines make a lot of things appear to be what they are not, though this policy, I understand did not originate in their Department of Creative fees and Surcharges, as those folks could not find a way to monetize it.

Like a lot of others who flew in the days when the armrests had ashtrays, I found the smoke disgusting.

Now go to Asia. If you don’t smoke you will die in the cockpit. I am fairly certain there is a regulation somewhere there requiring it.(smoking, not dieing)

Funny story.. There was a Chinese airliner, not that long ago, that had a decompression and
made an emergency descent and return to the mainland.
What was the cause of the decompression? The FO was lighting up and did not want the smoke-to get into the pax cabin, so he flipped a switch he thought would isolate the cockpit.....and no one figured it out until after they were on the ground?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I remember smoking on fire patrols being the norm.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

There was a certain Global Express I worked on that had a very distinctive smell of tipped cigars onboard (Like Colts or Swisher Sweets).

So yeah, if you can afford to own an expensive toy like that, you can smoke on it.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

co-joe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm I remember smoking on fire patrols being the norm.
Drop a few butts out the window and suddenly the guys back at base aren't sitting around all bored anymore.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:58 am
co-joe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm I remember smoking on fire patrols being the norm.
Drop a few butts out the window and suddenly the guys back at base aren't sitting around all bored anymore.
:lol: the thought crossed my mind for sure. Problem is a butt extinguishes itself on the way down. I have heard of operators handing out cigars to their patrol pilots. Now that's a job creation strategy.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”