Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

You need post secondary to work at CargoJet

Post by GATRKGA »

http://www.cargojet.com/careers/pdf/Fir ... ilton).pdf

It looks like they're aligning for the massive incoming applications from a certain 767 LCC Carrier.
---------- ADS -----------

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: You need post secondary to work at CargoJet

Post by FighterPilot »

They're already there. I know a handful of 767 guys/gals that are on LOAs from AC and went to Cargojet.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

GATRKGA wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am http://www.cargojet.com/careers/pdf/Fir ... ilton).pdf

It looks like they're aligning for the massive incoming applications from a certain 767 LCC Carrier.
That document says "Completion of secondary school and graduation from a certified flying or aviation school is required." (emphasis added). So, not post-secondary (i.e. -- highschool, not university).

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

How rare are degrees? I feel like anyone under 30 would have one since most people want to have a backup career

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

gtappl wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm How rare are degrees? I feel like anyone under 30 would have one since most people want to have a backup career
I would be willing to bet that very few of the degrees that pilots have would be useful in getting a job in a “backup” career.

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

gtappl wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm How rare are degrees? I feel like anyone under 30 would have one since most people want to have a backup career
Very few of my coworkers have a degree. Neither do I, but do have useful experience in other fields.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

There are tons of us.

Woop_de_doo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Woop_de_doo »

Do they now require crew to give a dissertation on their thesis on cargo loading?

:rolleyes:

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

ant_321 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 am
There are tons of us.
I wonder how many hours is a degree worth? Assuming the only difference between two guys is the paper and the hours

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

gtappl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:45 pm
There are tons of us.
I wonder how many hours is a degree worth? Assuming the only difference between two guys is the paper and the hours
It seems the only place in Canada that cares about having a degree is Air Canada. I managed to get left seat in a 737 and nobody has even asked me if I’ve graduated high school.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

ant_321 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:29 am
gtappl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:45 pm

There are tons of us.
It seems the only place in Canada that cares about having a degree is Air Canada. I managed to get left seat in a 737 and nobody has even asked me if I’ve graduated high school.
Even then... many without degrees.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:56 am
GATRKGA wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am http://www.cargojet.com/careers/pdf/Fir ... ilton).pdf

That document says "Completion of secondary school and graduation from a certified flying or aviation school is required." (emphasis added). So, not post-secondary (i.e. -- highschool, not university).
You could argue that The Calgary Flying Club is a “certified flying school”

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

The whole forum frequently get mads that a job listing calls for decent reading comprehension, but also this thread happens.

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

gtappl wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm
Zero in my opinion. Personality matters much more.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

airway wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 am

Of course you could. Presumably, they have an operating certificate. Therefore, they are certified.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

It went from a sellers market to a buyers market overnight.

Watch for more ‘requirements’ in other pilot job postings (which are few and far between).

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:55 pm
airway wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 am
Of course you could. Presumably, they have an operating certificate. Therefore, they are certified.
I have seen this issue in other job postings. Maybe it is intentional, but it is not clear what educational certifications are required.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of education qualifications that a employer may want a pilot to have. (other than CPL, ATPL, Multi-IFR), roughly from lowest to highest. Feel free to add.

1. High School
2. 2 year non-aviation Diploma or Associate Degree
3. 2 year aviation related Diploma like "Aviation Management"
4. 8 months/1 year Aviation Certificate.
5. 2 year "Aviation Diploma" from a flying school (a Aviation Certificate like Seneca's APFO program is probably better than this though)
6. 2/3 year "Aviation Diploma" from a recognized college.
7. A degree (other than an Associate Degree) in any subject. Including Masters and Doctorate.
8 Aviation Degree

benj22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by benj22 »

I have seen this issue in other job postings. Maybe it is intentional, but it is not clear what educational certifications are required.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of education qualifications that a employer may want a pilot to have. (other than CPL, ATPL, Multi-IFR), roughly from lowest to highest. Feel free to add.

1. High School
2. 2 year non-aviation Diploma or Associate Degree
3. 2 year aviation related Diploma like "Aviation Management"
4. 8 months/1 year Aviation Certificate.
5. 2 year "Aviation Diploma" from a flying school (a Aviation Certificate like Seneca's APFO program is probably better than this though)
6. 2/3 year "Aviation Diploma" from a recognized college.
7. A degree (other than an Associate Degree) in any subject. Including Masters and Doctorate.
8 Aviation Degree
do not also forget the ton of certificates to prove all of that
and some employers also require candidate to do some in-house tests

I think that this service is quite good when you need some construction to be done

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”